PDA

View Full Version : Sports that Restrict What Older Athletes Can Do

overedge
08-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm looking for examples of sports (NOT skating) that ban older athletes from doing certain things within the sport - not necessarily because they couldn't do them, but more for safety or other reasons.

I know there are some sports that have restrictions on what test level, what competitive status, etc. adult athletes can have if they want to enter adult events. I'm looking more for examples of sports that say, e.g. that athletes over the age of 50 are not allowed to do the triple whatever.

And when I say "adult" athletes, I'm mostly thinking of non-elite athletes, although they may still be competing.

If anyone knows of any examples, please post them or PM me. Thanks!

agalisgv
08-09-2010, 08:54 PM
While not traditionally thought of as a sport, competition powwows do this. People are grouped according to age, and older competitors are often restricted from certain dance disciplines.

Aceon6
08-09-2010, 09:26 PM
I can't think of any singles sports that fit this profile. There are some restrictions on YOUNGER children, such as Little League not allowing the youngest pitchers to throw the curve ball and slider. Age groups, yes, restrictions on what can be done, not that I can think of.

mysticchic
08-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Well in softball they deaden the ball and bats so they don't go as fast off the bats and lenghten the baselines for Master levels. Also once you get to the 50 and over your allowed to have high school kids run once you get on the bases.
This is only in Master sanction events.