PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to not attend your class reunion

Pages : [1] 2 3

numbers123
08-09-2010, 06:29 PM
DH's 40th year high school class reunion was this last weekend. We didn't go, but all kinds of pictures are being posted on facebook. So here are a few reasons not to attend them:

It is depressing to see everyone look that old.
It is depressing to see most everyone about 40 -100 pounds heavier
You recognize no one - it is a good thing that the facebook poster is tagging people with names, that is the only way to recognize them
You would have to endure that one person who put the reunion together hounding you for pictures.
You never liked 75% of them in high school, what makes you think you would now

orbitz
08-09-2010, 06:36 PM
You never liked 75% of them in high school, what makes you think you would now

People don't attend reunion to see the ones that they didn't know or didn't hang around with back in the days. The point is to catch up with people that you were good friends with but have lost touch. If you were highly popular in HS and had a good group of close friends then I can see why you would want to attend a reunion. If not then the mere mention of HS reunion brings up a look of disgust.

my little pony
08-09-2010, 08:57 PM
I dont think it is depressing that they look older or heavier considering one of the alternatives is death.

genevieve
08-09-2010, 09:05 PM
If you were highly popular in HS and had a good group of close friends then I can see why you would want to attend a reunion. If not then the mere mention of HS reunion brings up a look of disgust.
I wasn't particularly popular in high school and didn't keep in touch with anyone beyond the first few years, but I attended my 20th reunion and had a great time. I felt like I was meeting a lot of people for the first time, and spent most of the reunion with people I hadn't gotten to know in high school. And only 2 guys were unrecognizable from their high school days.

Reunions aren't for everyone, and I don't know if I'll go again, but they don't have to be a nightmare (we also did not have anyone houding us for pictures - there was one official school class photo that people easily could have skipped if they wanted).

skatingfan5
08-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I attended my 20th high school reunion and had a great time, too. Even though the person I wanted to see the most didn't attend, there were enough people I did like from high school who were there, that it was a lot of fun reconnecting and learning what they had been doing in the two decades since graduation. Of course, for me I think that perhaps once was enough, as I haven't been tempted to attend one since then. ;)

At my niece's wedding last Saturday, I saw people I hadn't seen since my sister's wedding 30 years ago. Again, it was fun talking with them, even though everyone clearly was decades older. As mlp said, when you consider that the alternative to growing old is death ... it's really not so bad at all. :lol:

Rob
08-09-2010, 10:43 PM
I dont think it is depressing that they look older or heavier considering one of the alternatives is death.

I don't think it is depressing that they look older or heavier. I think it is depressing that I look older and heavier.

That said, I lurves me high school chums and I see them whenever I can!!!!!

cruisin
08-09-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm actually 100 pounds thinner than I was in HS, and look better than I did in HS, regardless of being much older. I went to my 20th reunion, no one had any idea who I was. A few did figure it out and apparently were shocked at how I looked. I went out of curiosity, it wasn't awful, but I wouldn't do it again. I have no need to relive the horror that was HS.

barbk
08-09-2010, 11:04 PM
I had an interesting experience at my 10th HS reunion. I ended up being seated for dinner at a table with a guy from my class who'd always been a nice guy, and who was now a cop for the village, and a woman who had been one of the most stuck-up social butterflies you could imagine. Ten years after high school she's a pediatric nurse in an oncology ward married to this very down-to-earth, not trendy, not fashionable cop. She was utterly nice, and we ended up having a very pleasant conversation, much to my surprise.

Nomad
08-10-2010, 12:26 AM
I've never been to a HS reunion - I only spent one year at the HS I graduated from, and they voted me "Most Shy". There's a reunion next year, but I doubt that I'll want to travel 6,000 miles to catch up with people I barely knew (and vice versa) a generation or two ago.

Cupid
08-10-2010, 12:49 AM
I just passed up attending my - gulp - 30th! I was gonna go, until I saw the guest list of attendees, and there really wasn't anyone I was interested in seeing again. The kid I had a mad crush on, my ex boyfriend, a couple of the girls I hung with, none were on the list. I did go to my 10th and 20th, however. They were just okay.

Indra486
08-10-2010, 12:55 AM
50% of my high school goes to my college. :lol:

That percentage might be even higher considering some transferred in. So I see the same people over and over. Other than haircuts, I haven't really changed much. I only had a small circle of close friends that I hang out with from high school. Other than that, I was either an acquaintance, friend of a friend or more commonly, that girl who takes notes and does her homework.

I haven't even been to my first one yet and I'm not sure I will but that might change. I have to get out of college first. :P

essence_of_soy
08-10-2010, 01:11 AM
In spite of inventing the quick burning paper for Lady Fair cigarettes, I've never been into the High School Reunion thing. It brings up too many memories.

Anyway, what freaked me out the most, was that pictures from the event were posted on line, and since I haven't seen most of them for 25 years, everyone looks like their parents.

I'm running off to get some Botox injections as I type.

BigB08822
08-10-2010, 01:46 AM
In spite of inventing the quick burning paper for Lady Fair cigarettes, I've never been into the High School Reunion thing. It brings up too many memories.

I hear you. I invented Post-It notes and I don't know if I feel like going to my 10 year reunion to brag about it or not. :P

cruisin
08-10-2010, 02:03 AM
Romy & Michele were my best friends, but i don't want to brag :P:lol:

wouldacoulda
08-10-2010, 02:14 AM
"You're the Rhoda! I'm the Mary!" Anyway...My ten year reunion was pretty bad, as it was still soon enough that everyone was out to impress - I'm a doctor - I live in France - bla, bla, bla. By the 20th, people had let that all go and we had a good time. By the 30th, we had a great time. We had a three day event - first night was cocktails at one of our old haunts, complete with a band that featured some classmates - second night was dinner and dancing at a country club, and the third day we had breakfast at the beach. We're meeting next summer to celebrate the class of '79 turning 50. Jesus. 50!