PDA

View Full Version : Russian Man Dies During World Sauna Championship

missflick
08-09-2010, 08:33 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/europe/russian-man-dies-during-world-sauna-championship/article1665909/

I didn't know there was such a thing.:eek:

Ozzisk8tr
08-09-2010, 08:50 AM
What a stupid competition. How the hell do you judge interpretation, not to mention transitions. Yes I know it's poor form to make jokes about someones demise, but I say it again, what a stupid competition.

skateboy
08-09-2010, 09:33 AM
I read the article and saw the temperature was 110 degrees. I was thinking "that's not so bad." But it's 110 C! What is that in Fahrenheit?

I have nothing against saunas, but this sounds like a horrible, pointless competition.

RUKen
08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I read the article and saw the temperature was 110 degrees. I was thinking "that's not so bad." But it's 110 C! What is that in Fahrenheit?

230 degrees Fahrenheit.

MikiAndoFan#1
08-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I have nothing against saunas, but this sounds like a horrible, pointless competition.

Very pointless competition. Then people die from stupid things like this.

:wall:

orbitz
08-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I wonder if contestants had to sign a waver saying they knew the risk and do not hold the (idiotic) sponsers of the event responsible for anything that go wrong. Even if they did sign a waver, it seems like there should've been some sort of medical personel monitoring the competitors during the event.

reckless
08-09-2010, 05:01 PM
This sounds like a candidate for a Darwin Award.

Jenna
08-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Very unfortunate. Burned to the point of bleeding and splitting ears open? This sounds more like a death wish than a sport. Thank goodness the competition will never be run again!

skatingfan5
08-09-2010, 05:12 PM
I can hardly believe that people (Finns) routinely like to take a sauna at 100 C -- that's the boiling point of water! :eek: Of course, I'm just a wimpy, half-Finnish American, for whom 160 F or so is preferable. :slinkaway

duane
08-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I read that there is no prize money in the competition...just bragging rights!! This doesn't even fit into the people-do-stupid-things-for-money category!

Such a sad outcome.

Finnice
08-09-2010, 06:35 PM
This has been huge news here in Finland, and the current organisators have decided to stop the competition, but someone else is willing to continue it:wideeyes:

I like going to sauna and we have one in our house, but my ideal temperature is 65-70 C. I think the competition was idiotical. The poor man who died was quoted to have said that this time he is going to win, whatever the price is. A horrible way to die.

Anita18
08-09-2010, 06:56 PM

HOT, THAT'S WHAT! I THOUGHT IT WAS IN FAHRENHEIT TOO! :eek:

The 90C heat block in lab already burns if you feel it for too long, but they take it 20C higher?! The bodies are cooking in there, because it is over the boiling point of water. (Although the boiling point is raised when water is in solution as blood is...but still...they definitely could still be cooking even if it isn't up to the point of boiling.)

Definitely candidate for a Darwin award, I'll say. :o What a stupid way to die.

StonewshMullet
08-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Rick Reilly did a story on this. He was trying to inject humor into a very stupid sport. One of the people he was competing against had blisters the size of dinner plates.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5198604

overedge
08-10-2010, 03:11 AM
Rick Reilly did a story on this. He was trying to inject humor into a very stupid sport. One of the people he was competing against had blisters the size of dinner plates.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5198604

I just read this piece in Rick Reilly's new book. It was one of the less stupid chapters, but I lost a lot of respect for Reilly for just making fun of the sport and not really talking about how potentially dangerous it was.