08-08-2010, 08:27 PM
My High School went

100-86 A
85-73 B
72-66 C+
65-60 C
59-50 C-
49 and below F

Well, I have to say that scale would have made my life easier--far fewer parents whining because their kids didn't get A's or B's!!

overedge
08-08-2010, 08:28 PM
There are some schools - post-secondary ones at that - who don't give Fs. For the courses that give grades (as opposed to credit/no credit courses), the lower grades (below C- or D) are variations on NC (no credit). The reason being that it would hurt the poor students' self-esteem too much to get a big bad F WHICH MEANS FAIL :rolleyes:

Yehudi
08-08-2010, 08:35 PM
I went to a pretentious, wannabe-British, prep school where we didn't have grades, we had "forms" and, up until the colleges demanded a coherent grading system, had

HH (Highest Honors)
H (Honors)
HP (High Pass)
P (Pass)
F

MikiAndoFan#1
08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
This thread reminds me of someting the Portuguese education minister said a few weeks ago. She said that she wanted to end with disapprovals, meaning that students wouldn't have to repeat a school year, even if they don't have good grades. The students would receive extra classes to help them. I find this very stupid. I felt like throwing something at the television when she said that!

:lynch: :wall:

Lanie
08-08-2010, 09:57 PM
My university was

A = 90-100 (why no A+s?)
B+ = 85-89
B = 82-84
B- = 80-81, sometimes 78, 79 depending on the professor

etc etc

I got a D- in a required math class. I'm glad they did D's or else I would not have graduated. All m other grades were A's. :P

cruisin
08-08-2010, 10:05 PM
High schools I taught in had this scale:

93-100=A
86-92=B
78-85=C
70-77=D
69 and below failing (F).

As I understand the article, this school was on the ten point scale (90-100 for an A and so on) which puts failing all the way down to 59%. They are just leaving the scale wide for A, B, and C and making 69 and below failing which is the scale at many high schools. Not such a big deal.

It still seems rather pointless. And unfair to kids who are struggling.

Aceon6
08-08-2010, 10:09 PM
I find the whole concept a bit strange. Getting kids to try harder to get a C just because a D isn't an option? How about the kids who struggle just to get a passing grade in a course that doesn't fit their abilities? Seems to me that a lot of talented future artists, musicians, dancers, car mechanics, plumbers, electricians, roofers, and such may get totally screwed over by this change. BTW, I got a D in chemistry in high school. No way I could have gotten a C, even if I stopped studying everything else to raise my grade.

screech
08-08-2010, 10:10 PM
The primary schools I taught at were
A = 90-100
B = 75-89
C = 60-74
D = 50-59
F = <50

In some way I'm more partial to the unsatisfactory/satisfactory/very good/excellent scale - it doesn't mention 'failing', just how their performance is perceived.

I had a parent bitch me out because her daughter received a 'B'. It took me so long to convince her that how grades are perceived is different than how it was even 10 years ago. That while a 'B' used to be considered 'average' it now means 'above average' and a C used to be kind of an 'oh no' grade but now means 'average'. Really though, it's all just letters and in elementary school, really, the letters don't matter.

cruisin
08-08-2010, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=screech;2838644]
I had a parent bitch me out because her daughter received a 'B'. It took me so long to convince her that how grades are perceived is different than how it was even 10 years ago. That while a 'B' used to be considered 'average' it now means 'above average' and a C used to be kind of an 'oh no' grade but now means 'average'. Really though, it's all just letters and in elementary school, really, the letters don't matter.

It does to the over achiever, vicariously living through their kids people I know.

smurfy
08-08-2010, 11:52 PM
In college I had one class where I think the professor was nuts.
We had 2 exams, a midterm and final. For the midterm, on a scale of 100, not one got above about 48. I think I got a 40. I was going to drop the class and when getting the prof's signature, he said I had a solid B and I continued. Final was about the same, and I got a B for the class.
But it felt fake, I did not have a sense of accomplishment or gained knowledge when the class was done. We got our tests back, combination of multiple choice and essay, and it looked like I knew nothing.
I heard from others that is the way he always was.

ballettmaus
08-09-2010, 12:07 AM
I find the whole concept a bit strange. Getting kids to try harder to get a C just because a D isn't an option? How about the kids who struggle just to get a passing grade in a course that doesn't fit their abilities? Seems to me that a lot of talented future artists, musicians, dancers, car mechanics, plumbers, electricians, roofers, and such may get totally screwed over by this change.

:huh: Thank you very much. I happened to graduate with a 3. something GPA and among the top 100 out of 365 Seniors at the high school I went to in Virginia and I managed to get my Abitur in Germany - and I'm a dancer/artist.
Just because you're talented in an artistic field doesn't mean you suck in school. I also don't think being talented in any of the fields you mentioned is an excuse for bad grades.
However, I do think that it's silly to take out one grade. It's like when they changed the level names of the dance school I went to in France and all of a sudden those of us who had been in the highest level went a level below because they said it now was a different name. Actually, that way, they got another year of our money.

It's an illusion because those who previously got Ds won't automatically get Cs now because they maybe can't do any better. But of course, the school looks better if they can say, at our school most kids have a B average or whatever instead of a C average because now the grade system is different. That detail though won't be mentioned.

cruisin
08-09-2010, 12:11 AM
It's an illusion because those who previously got Ds won't automatically get Cs now because they maybe can't do any better. But of course, the school looks better if they can say, at our school most kids have a B average or whatever instead of a C average because now the grade system is different. That detail though won't be mentioned.

It also artificially raises the kid's grade point average and effects kids applying to colleges from other schools.

Aceon6
08-09-2010, 12:59 AM
:huh: Thank you very much. I happened to graduate with a 3. something GPA and among the top 100 out of 365 Seniors at the high school I went to in Virginia and I managed to get my Abitur in Germany - and I'm a dancer/artist.
Just because you're talented in an artistic field doesn't mean you suck in school. I also don't think being talented in any of the fields you mentioned is an excuse for bad grades.

Didn't mean to step on any toes. My niece is a dancer and was 2nd in her class at a competitive high school and now has a PhD. Through her, though, I got to meet many kids who just plain struggled in school. They were very bright, just not standardized test bright. Many of them got very discouraged, and I just see this as a possibility of making it worse for the kids who are already just barely hanging on.

Kasey
08-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Sorry. I'm bitchy, but I think it's about time something gets done to tighten up the "passing of students who should really fail, but we can't allow that to happen" stuff that gets done. With all the stories that come out about how some schools are not allowed to fail students, how some schools don't allow a valedictorian because it "hurts the feelings" of the other students, blah blah.....I was glad to hear about this a few weeks ago. Just a personal opinion that we go out of our way to wussify our kids and society in general an awful lot; this was refreshing in it's being the opposite.

(No, I'm not a parent)