PDA

View Full Version : Mao etc exhibited the training to the media before the opening of the season.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

FrouFrou
08-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Did you guys notice the Bobbsey twins commented the most in this thread? :rofl:
I guess there comes a point where people do drop the stick and can back away from the dead horse in tandem...
Ain't insecurity a bitch?! :D

But all the more power to RumbleFish and RunnersHigh! It takes a lot of dedication and concerted effort to do. ;)

Oh and RH, if you want to learn more about figure skating, I'd steer clear of wikipedia.
That's like figure skating for dummies - cyber style. :P

CantALoop
08-11-2010, 08:08 PM
^^Thank you. This is what I needed.
Studied for about 4 years but it's still hard for me to know what figure skating is. I'm almost finishing to study Technical Panels handbook 2010/2011 but there're still more Comm.XXXX to study.

As to history homework, I don't wanna know about the 6.0 era. IJS alone is enough. :lol::lol:

Plz, let me know everything about figure skating! That's why I paid to FSU. :)

If you want to learn, then stop having the attitude that you know more than everyone else and doing asinine things like posting the Wikipedia entries to people who already know what the jumps are.

History is also very important, as the 6.0 era is the basis of the IJS system. A lot of things in the 6.0 weren't as heavily scrutinized as it was in the IJS, so knowing how elements were performed before they were codified is important to understanding the development and constant revisions to the IJS system.

*ahem*

Mao's lutz still needs some work, but it's better than those few clips we saw of the Tarasova lutz. It's really hard to tell from the camera angles and without ice tracings, but one of the promising things is that her lutz has more of a counterrotation snap to it that didn't appear in the Tarasova clips.

From Nagakubo's body language, he seems to be telling Mao is that she needs to spring up into the jump before she tries to rotate (I agree, that's why Yu-Na's lutzes get amazing height). Also, remember that Akiko Suzuki still has a very slight Kwan-like flutz, so don't expect Nagakubo to correct Mao's flutz to Rochette quality.

Either way, that edge is a lot better than it was four years ago.

ponta1
08-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Did you guys notice the Bobbsey twins commented the most in this thread? :rofl:
I guess there comes a point where people do drop the stick and can back away from the dead horse in tandem...
Ain't insecurity a bitch?! :D

But all the more power to RumbleFish and RunnersHigh! It takes a lot of dedication and concerted effort to do. ;)

Oh and RH, if you want to learn more about figure skating, I'd steer clear of wikipedia.
That's like figure skating for dummies - cyber style. :P

:rofl:

wnstnluv
08-11-2010, 11:02 PM
I swear FrouFrou- you have the best delivery! You should become a lawyer or do stand-up! :rofl:

RunnersHigh
08-12-2010, 12:34 AM
If you want to learn, then stop having the attitude that you know more than everyone else and doing asinine things like posting the Wikipedia entries to people who already know what the jumps are.
Oops, did I look like that? Then, I have to watch my mouth.

History is also very important, as the 6.0 era is the basis of the IJS system. A lot of things in the 6.0 weren't as heavily scrutinized as it was in the IJS, so knowing how elements were performed before they were codified is important to understanding the development and constant revisions to the IJS system.
O.K. I'll try to study 6.0 some later.

Mao's lutz still needs some work, but it's better than those few clips we saw of the Tarasova lutz. It's really hard to tell from the camera angles and without ice tracings, but one of the promising things is that her lutz has more of a counterrotation snap to it that didn't appear in the Tarasova clips.

From Nagakubo's body language, he seems to be telling Mao is that she needs to spring up into the jump before she tries to rotate (I agree, that's why Yu-Na's lutzes get amazing height). Also, remember that Akiko Suzuki still has a very slight Kwan-like flutz, so don't expect Nagakubo to correct Mao's flutz to Rochette quality.

Either way, that edge is a lot better than it was four years ago.
ITA and I love these kinds of posts in this forum. But as you know it's hard to find something like this. And easy to be attacked. :(
Thank you for the constructive criticism, sincere advice and technical opinion. No kidding, Sincerely!

SkateSkates
08-12-2010, 01:40 AM
I didn't like how in the training videos they cut out her set-up/entrances to her flips and lutzes because it was hard to tell which one she was going for.

RumbleFish
08-12-2010, 04:36 AM
I like how Ashley Wagner worked quietly over the off season and showed her improved lutz jump in a competition. She said she started from scratch doing singles and worked up to triples gradually.
Contrastingly, Mao Asada is making a big deal with the media out of fixing her jumps, which IMO hasn't got much better. It will also be interesting to see whether her triple loop, which shares the same mechanism with her supposedly fixed lutz IMO, remains unaffected.

We will see how these 2 tales of Fixing my Flutz end up in a couple of months, but I'd put my money on Ashley for now. :watch:

jollyroger
08-12-2010, 09:09 AM
I like how Ashley Wagner worked quietly over the off season and showed her improved lutz jump in a competition. She said she started from scratch doing singles and worked up to triples gradually.
Contrastingly, Mao Asada is making a big deal with the media out of fixing her jumps, which IMO hasn't got much better. It will also be interesting to see whether her triple loop, which shares the same mechanism with her supposedly fixed lutz IMO, remains unaffected.

We will see how these 2 tales of Fixing my Flutz end up in a couple of months, but I'd put my money on Ashley for now. :watch:

Be that as it may, perhaps the fact that Japan media makes a big(ger) deal out of figure skating than the US media should be considered... I don't think Mao's initiating these press conferences/media reports to inform people on how her jumps are getting along but more likely reporters are asking to interview her and turning down all of them would be kind of rude...

inskate
08-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Contrastingly, Mao Asada is making a big deal with the media out of fixing her jumps

Just where and when did you read/hear that? I collect and pay attention to interviews and fluffs about single skaters and I can guarantee you that Mao has never said that any of her jumps were perfect.

Most of the hyping comes from the media, usually from those reporters who don't know much about figure skating. TAT also used to be a bit overenthusiastic, which I think hurt Mao in the long run.

Here are some actual quotes from Mao's team: first, Mr. Nagakubo’s quotes from a Japanese magazine of Aug 12/19 issue:

“Her challenges are first of all to correct (techniques of) jumps she’s not good at and improve (techniques) to land jumps cleanly otherwise she tend to under-rotate. (...)
We’ve started from single jumps. Now, we’ve just only completed double jumps and started to work on triple jumps. Quadruples are far away. We are making over her jumps by going back to a 10-year-old student level.”

And from a different article:
"Coach Hiroshi Nagakubo, who became her jump coach in June, said, "My first impression was, 'It's impressive that she was able to become world champion like this.' Her rotation is late. If she uses force, then she can't go straight (up in the air). To be able to do a [triple] axel that way is incredible." He has been reworking the basic movements of her jumps starting from a single rotation. "It's already getting better, but sometimes her former (bad habits) come out. And even if she jumps well, she says, 'I don't know why I was able to do it.'

(Replying to a question if Mao’s rework on jumps can be completed within four years before Sochi.) “I accepted (to coach Mao) because I know it’s possible. We’ll make it well before that.”

And quotes from Mao:

"This year, my goal is to change my jumps. If I can establish a foundation, then over the next 2, 3 years too, I'll be able to keep improving."

About 3 Lutz: "Some days I can do it and some days I can't. Today is more of a bad day. It feels like I still don't understand my jump." She says she spends most of her practice time on jumps: "I will bring back the jumps that I used to be able to do in the past. Right now I have to endure it. People tell me not to hurry, and that's what I think, too."

(translations courtesy of Batsuchan and linglang)

So, to sum up: Mao reworks her jumps going back to a 10-years old skater level, she just started working on triples, wants to establish a strong foundation now so she can keep improving over the next 2-3 years and openly admits she still struggles with 3Lz. I definitely don't see any boasting here.

It is also unfair to say Mao's jumps didn't change much. Not only her 3F and 3Lz used to be indentical (and now visibly difer from each other as Mao keeps the counterrotation on her Lutz) but also her body position during her take-off preparation and the take-off itself changed a lot. Check out flips and Lutzes from the 08-09 season and compare them to those from the recent practice clips. Mao doesn't drop her torso as much, doesn't lift her free leg as high, doesn't reach as far back with her arm and initiates the take-off bending her knee more. Her take-offs used to look a bit like Sasha's, not they look a bit more like Nobunari's (although with much less speed as of now).

loulou
08-12-2010, 01:58 PM
A new video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzrXR-gWDcw).

:)

Removed by the user :(

RunnersHigh
08-12-2010, 03:34 PM
It is also unfair to say Mao's jumps didn't change much. Not only her 3F and 3Lz used to be indentical (and now visibly difer from each other as Mao keeps the counterrotation on her Lutz) but also her body position during her take-off preparation and the take-off itself changed a lot. Check out flips and Lutzes from the 08-09 season and compare them to those from the recent practice clips. Mao doesn't drop her torso as much, doesn't lift her free leg as high, doesn't reach as far back with her arm and initiates the take-off bending her knee more. Her take-offs used to look a bit like Sasha's, not they look a bit more like Nobunari's (although with much less speed as of now).
Whether I agree with it or not, 2 thumbs up. :respec:

FrouFrou
08-12-2010, 05:30 PM
:rofl:

I swear FrouFrou- you have the best delivery! You should become a lawyer or do stand-up! :rofl:

Thank you guys. I'm having so much fun! :biggrinbo

But I thought you found Mao and her fans so entertaining and adorable? :shuffle:
We are quite the charmers, if I do say so myself. Isn't that why you keep coming back for more?!

Well I hope Mao being such a media whore doesn't deter you from showing up in her threads as you did before. :rolleyes:
We always need a good comic relief around here. :D

Your insight is quite darling indeed. :yawn: Unable to tell the difference between a toe jump and an edge jump- you are sooo cute. :P

Entire post.

Nice. ITA. :hat1:

ponta1
08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Thank you guys. I'm having so much fun! :biggrinbo

But I thought you found Mao and her fans so entertaining and adorable? :shuffle:
We are quite the charmers, if I do say so myself. Isn't that why you keep coming back for more?!

Well I hope Mao being such a media whore doesn't deter you from showing up in her threads as you did before. :rolleyes:
We always need a good comic relief around here. :D

Your insight is quite darling indeed. :yawn: Unable to tell the difference between a toe jump and an edge jump- you are sooo cute. :P

Nice. ITA. :hat1:

Ha ha!!! Yes, Mao the MediaWhore!! :D

miki88
08-12-2010, 05:39 PM
FrouFrou, your deliveries are classic. :D

Doubletoe
08-12-2010, 08:31 PM

As Jollyroger pointed out, figure skating is just a MUCH more popular sport in Japan than in the U.S. In Japan, Mao Asada is a celebrity. In the U.S., the average person has never heard of Ashley Wagner (or Rachel Flatt or Mirai Nagasu, for that matter). The Japanese media follows their top skaters around all the time. I'm pretty sure Mao does not request these tapings for her own media exposure.
And I'm still trying to figure out how fixing her 3Lz would affect her 3Lo. :confused: Her issue on the lutz is the LBO takeoff edge. The 3Lo takes off from a RBO edge.