PDA

View Full Version : Yuna planning on an Ice Show in LA in early October?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

ChibiChibi
08-12-2010, 02:33 AM
I was thinking about the timeline too.

Perhaps they expect the same reaction here that they have experienced in Korea - instant sell out. It could happen but it is certainly not the given it is in Seoul.

While Yu-na is a very experienced, champion skater, her mom and their company are not experienced producers and may not have as realistic a view of the U.S. market as they might. There is a VP that came over from IB Productions but even he probably has no producing experience outside of Korea.

All That Sports was not intending to announce the cast until mid-Sept for a date less than three weeks later. In the U.S. that's not the usual but they may feel that a combination of the skating market for Yu-na and the Korean market in LA will fill up the Staples Center in wink for the two performances (Oct. 2 and 3) they have mentioned. A two performance complete sell-out at the Staples Center with a hockey seating layout is 36,000 people; 14,000-15,000 sold per show would be a great crowd and probably closer to the right number with a tunnel or stage area taking some of the seating. They are also used to a larger seating capacity in Seoul so it might not seem like a great challenge to the producers.

It's sure a calculated risk but they may not see it that way.

I agree. The Staples Center is a big venue. I was there for the SOI show couple times, and it was pretty empty.

They may sell the tickets, but that doesn't mean that the seats will be filled. Local Korean businesses (and Chinese if Kwan skates in this show) will probably buy bunch of tickets to give out to their customers. Also Yuna's fans may fly from Korea to attend this show.

Willowway
08-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Yuna's fans may fly from Korea to attend this show.

I agree that a lot of her fans would love to come. But 1) do thousands of fans have that kind of money? It's an expensive trip 2) do those fans also have visas to enter the U.S. because coming from Korea to the U.S. you need one and it takes a little time to get one through the U.S. Embassy in Korea so one can't make a last-minute decision to go.

She does have thousands of fans here and in Canada and those, most likely, are the people who will fill a lot of seats. But I agree that huge blocks of seats sold to Korean businesses will undoubtedly be a major part of the audience.

reckless
08-12-2010, 03:10 AM
I assume that most of the people posting did not attend Worlds in LA. The ladies events were packed, with very large contingents of Koreans and Korean-Americans. One of the local banks was passing out Korean flags to attendees. Koreatown is 2 miles from Staples Center.

I don't think there is any question that the show will be successful.

geod2
08-12-2010, 03:51 AM
I assume that most of the people posting did not attend Worlds in LA. The ladies events were packed, with very large contingents of Koreans and Korean-Americans.

I went to Worlds last year and it was fun to see and be a part of such great attendance for a FS event in the city where I was born and grew up.

Being realistic, some potential challenges have been mentioned on this thread for Yu-Na's show to be successful. If I remember correctly she is fulfilling a pledge she made to return to L.A. for a show...
....I don't recall that she made it contingent on the show being successful from any particular point of view. Good for her!!!
I'm very sure that, even if it has to be postponed, this show will happen.

I wonder if Yu-Na's commitment to an L.A. show is why Disson skipped the West Coast this year....

bek
08-12-2010, 06:15 AM
If you are asking about Query5, he or she has certainly shown closed-mindedness, wherever he or she is from.

I think the assumption is because (1) the poster claims to be an American, (2) the word order and usage clearly identifies the poster as someone whose first language is not English, meaning he or she is (Something)-American, and (3) the poster has exhibited an irrational antagonism toward Yu-Na's LA ice show in a way that only an obsessed fan on the opposing side in the Kim-Asada wars can do. IMO, that makes Japanese-American a pretty fair guess, anyway.

See the thing is though based on previous posts I always thought query was way more of a Zhang uber than she was either an Asada uber or a Yu-na uber.

I don't think its really fair to automatically assume that any irrational criticism of Yu-na is automatically because of Japanese/Asada ubers or any irrational criticism of Asada is automatically due to Korean/Yu-na ubers. There are people perfectly capable of not liking both Mao and Yu-na or not being on either team. I mean I could understand wondering that, but I suspect if you remember/read more than just one of query's posts, that people's first guess wouldn't be that query is Japanese. Not that it matters what she/he is.

amaro
08-12-2010, 06:46 AM
As the person who started this thread, may I ask we stick to the subject, the show itself?

If anyone wants to speak ill of Yuna's attempt to bring one more skating show to the US, there is an open agora called Trash Can readily available. Please make your own thread there.

Now, IMO right pricing of the tickets can definitely play a part for the show's success. The last show Yuna put together in Seoul saw its average ticket price around $130 US, $170 being for the premium seats, and still about 35,000 tickets were sold. I doubt the same pricing will work for her LA show though.

What was the average ticket price like for 2009 Worlds? Her firm might want to benchmark that.

galaxy
08-12-2010, 08:37 AM
I do wonder what they were thinking, though, when they picked the dates, with so many skaters already committed to other shows on/around those dates. I think it would really help sales if she can get Kwan to skate in this show (not to mention being a treat for her US fans). It has been years since Kwan has performed live in the US.

Yes. This is the second time this year Yuna picked exactly the same dates as other shows. First she picked the same dates as The Ice, IMG show in July, and now again she picked the same dates as Japan Open, Carnival on Ice, another IMG show/competition. IMG might be puzzled and wondering why Yuna always loves to pick the same dates as their shows.
:confused:

Lanie
08-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Considering Staples Center was packed for Worlds, I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of people show up to the show. It just depends on pricing. SOI to me is too expensive. Decent seats are, what, $100 a pop? I paid day-of prices for my Worlds tickets and I still was like "OMG, this is a lot of money!". Worth it, but still.

azcalder
08-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Remember, Korea Town is only a short distance down Olympic Blvd from the Staple Center. So many local Koreans will probably attend. Anne

allezfred
08-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Well there's now a thread on this show here (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74623), so I'm closing this one.