PDA

View Full Version : Emma Thompson's Catty Remarks about Icon Audrey Hepburn!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Rex
08-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Hepburn was 'twee, mumsy and couldn't act' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1300986/Audrey-Hepburn-twee-mumsy-really-act-Emma-Thompsons-scathing-appraisal-My-Fair-Lady-star.html?ITO=1490)

Thompson - who is writing a new movie version of the hit musical - says she wasn't a big fan of the 1964 film that starred Hepburn and Rex Harrison.

'I'm not hugely fond of the film,' she says. 'I find Audrey Hepburn fantastically twee.'

When asked by The Hollywood Reporter what 'twee' means, Thompson says: 'Twee is whimsy without wit. It is mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that's not for me. I think 'twee' has been used right here to describe certain skaters....

She can't sing and she can't really act, I'm afraid.

'I'm sure she was a delightful woman - and perhaps if I had known her I would have enjoyed her acting more, but I don't and I didn't, so that's all there is to it really.'

:eek: Talk about stabbing a sacred cow. I know some people consider this one of Audrey's weakest roles, and a lot of people wanted Julie Andrews to do the film version, but I love Audrey. And I didn't always. But several of her films have made such an impression on me that she has become one of my favorites...

I'm all for blunt honesty, but Emma sounds a tad harsh and bitchy to me.

She is a decent screenwriter, and I look forward to her version of My Fair Lady....

Discuss.

agalisgv
08-07-2010, 12:01 AM
I liked Hepburn in The Nun's Story.

skatingfan5
08-07-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm waiting for Emma to rip into Natalie Wood as the next dead Hollywood icon on her list who can't sing or act and who had Marni Nixon dub her singing in a musical (West Side Story). I don't think Emma knew her, so that evidently lessens the odds of her liking her acting abilities. If that doesn't satisfy her need to diss, then there's always Deborah Kerr -- but perhaps she will grant that Kerr could act, if not sing (Marni Nixon to the rescue once again, this time for The King and I).

I wish her luck with her verion of My Fair Lady. Since it will be greatly shortened, I expect it should fit 21st century audiences attention spans. :P BTW, I also like Pygmalion but comparing GBS's play to MFL is apples to oranges -- or apples to chocolates.

Rex
08-07-2010, 12:19 AM
I liked Hepburn in The Nun's Story.

Her best performance, IMO. It's a great movie. Everytime I watch it or think about it the words "pride and disobedience" stick out for some reason :).

I'm waiting for Emma to rip into Natalie Wood as the next dead Hollywood icon on her list who can't sing or act and who had Marni Nixon dub her singing in a musical (West Side Story). I don't think Emma knew her, so that evidently lessens the odds of her liking her acting abilities. If that doesn't satisfy her need to diss, then there's always Deborah Kerr -- but perhaps she will grant that Kerr could act, if not sing (Marni Nixon to the rescue once again, this time for The King and I).

I wish her luck with her verion of My Fair Lady. Since it will be greatly shortened, I expect it should fit 21st century audiences attention spans. :P BTW, I also like Pygmalion but comparing GBS's play to MFL is apples to oranges -- or apples to chocolates.

She could have said it about just about anyone else and I don't think I would have gotten annoyed.

Unless it was Barbara Stanwyck. Then I'd travel to the UK so I could CUT HER :EVILLE:.

Gazpacho
08-07-2010, 01:01 AM
To be fair (no pun intended), Julie Andrews was essentially robbed of the role, and Audrey Hepburn really can't sing, hence the dubbing. And this comes from someone who loves that film.

mmscfdcsu
08-07-2010, 02:03 AM
Her best performance, IMO. It's a great movie. Everytime I watch it or think about it the words "pride and disobedience" stick out for some reason :).

:.

I just watched The Nun's Story again a couple of nights ago on YouTube. I love that movie, but it reminded me that while she was beautiful, she could not act at all.

PRlady
08-07-2010, 02:21 AM
To be fair (no pun intended), Julie Andrews was essentially robbed of the role, and Audrey Hepburn really can't sing, hence the dubbing. And this comes from someone who loves that film.

I think Audrey was perfect for the role, so perfect that the dubbing doesn't even bother me. And her chemistry with Harrison was :swoon:

I love Emma as an actor and screenwriter but don't diss my Audrey, girl. :mad:

emason
08-07-2010, 02:30 AM
Thompson should level her criticism where it is due - at the producing/directing team who came up with this nonsense, not at the actress who accepted a role she was offered. I'm a great AH fan, but I'm not a fan of this movie at all, and, yes, unfortunately twee is the word that applies here.

jenny12
08-07-2010, 02:43 AM
I would've preferred to see Julie Andrews in the role since she originated it, but I actually enjoyed Audrey Hepburn. Yeah, she was dubbed, but I thought she was charming without being "twee."

musicgurl
08-07-2010, 02:46 AM
I love Audrey Hepburn, but I don't consider her a great actress. She was good at what she did, and that was mostly romantic comedies. However I still love Breakfast at Tiffany's and I still think that and Two for the Road were her best ones. Mostly because they were different roles for her.

overedge
08-07-2010, 02:49 AM
Did Julie Andrews pay her to say that? :EVILLE:

That being said, I kind of agree. Audrey Hepburn is great in some films, but the character in My Fair Lady needs some underlying steel, which IMHO you don't get just by yelling in a faux-Cockney accent.

She looks great in the post-transformation dresses, though.

Asli
08-07-2010, 02:57 AM
I think Audrey was perfect for the role, so perfect that the dubbing doesn't even bother me. And her chemistry with Harrison was :swoon:

I love Audrey Hepburn, but mainly because she is so charismatic, graceful and lovely. I could look at her all day. She is not a good actress IMO, but she is not annoyingly bad either.

I love Emma as an actor and screenwriter but don't diss my Audrey, girl. :mad:

What would be the point of making another My Fair Lady movie if the first one were perfect? ;)

manhn
08-07-2010, 03:02 AM
I agree with Emma. And I LOATHED Breakfast at Tiffany's.

The Accordion
08-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Emma T has a pretty biting sense of humour. Her diaries from Sense and Sensibility are a fantastic read! But she can be merciless. I haven't seen a lot of AH's work- but from what I have seen- I don't have huge issues with what ET has said.

peibeck
08-07-2010, 03:18 AM
The only Audrey movie I really love is "Wait Until Dark;" Rex Harrison made "MFL" for me, not Audrey. And I must admit I abhor "Breakfast at Tiffany's," at total bastardization of Truman Capote's work.

Has anyone beside me seen Emma Thompson in a movie called "The Tall Guy?" She is absolute :rofl: hilarious in that.