PDA

View Full Version : Woman faked cancer to raise money

Pages : 1 2 [3]

cruisin
08-10-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm reminded of a syndrome - can't recall the name of it - of women who hurt/harm their children to get attention. They'll do things like put stuff in their kid's food to make them sick, so that the kid has to go to the emergency ward - they want to get treated like special, long-suffering, saintly mothers.

Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/factitious_disorders/hic_munchausen_syndrome_by_proxy.aspx

Yes, but there is also Munchausen Syndrome, where the person feigns their own illness (physical or mental) for attention. The by Proxy is when it is done to a person other than themself. Some of these cases could be more than just trying to scam money, it could be mental illness.

Munchausen by Proxy was illustrated in the Movie The Sixth Sense.

Regardless, this is a horrible thing. They should take whatever money is left and give it to a cancer organization.

Cheylana
08-10-2010, 11:48 PM
I hate to say it, but this girl just sounds like a sociopath.

algonquin
08-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Also, in all honesty, is this really the kind of person you want to be exposing sick kids to? She sounds awful, so I doubt she would take the work seriously, and she would probably end up being an unpleasant person to have around.You have a point.