PDA

View Full Version : Woman faked cancer to raise money

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Orable
08-07-2010, 09:00 PM
What a terrible person! :mad:

Michalle
08-08-2010, 05:30 AM
I know it's bad to take advantage of anyone, no matter their age, but somehow it feels especially bad that she was tricking young people for whom this would really seem to be their first major experience with organized giving. I hope this doesn't put them off completely.

Japanfan
08-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Granted, this was an awful thing to do. But this woman has got some really serious problems and needs some help.

Just heard on the news that she's in jail on three counts of fraud.

AragornElessar
08-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Heard on last night's news that her "reasoning" for doing this was her awful childhood.

I am so sick and tired of people using that as an excuse when they get caught for something like this. Especially for what she did though.

Cancer runs in my family and I've lost friends to it. It is beyond a horrible, horrible disease and anyone doing something like this...It's repulsive!! :mad:

Spiralgraph
08-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Couldn't agree more. Sadly there will always be these pathetic persons who'll exploit anything and any disease to get attention, fame or money. It's despicable.

Gazpacho
08-08-2010, 10:54 PM
I view the people who fake cancer for money differently than those who fake cancer for attention and sympathy and don't profit monetarily. The people in the latter case are clearly mentally ill and have an empty void that they're so desperate to fill that they would fake cancer.

mmscfdcsu
08-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Remember this one?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2593691.stm

Michalle
08-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Also, given her history of lying, why on earth should anyone believe that she even had an awful childhood?

Japanfan
08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
I view the people who fake cancer for money differently than those who fake cancer for attention and sympathy and don't profit monetarily. The people in the latter case are clearly mentally ill and have an empty void that they're so desperate to fill that they would fake cancer.

I'm reminded of a syndrome - can't recall the name of it - of women who hurt/harm their children to get attention. They'll do things like put stuff in their kid's food to make them sick, so that the kid has to go to the emergency ward - they want to get treated like special, long-suffering, saintly mothers.

Karina1974
08-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm reminded of a syndrome - can't recall the name of it - of women who hurt/harm their children to get attention. They'll do things like put stuff in their kid's food to make them sick, so that the kid has to go to the emergency ward - they want to get treated like special, long-suffering, saintly mothers.

Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/factitious_disorders/hic_munchausen_syndrome_by_proxy.aspx

Munchausen syndrome by proxy (MSP), a type of factitious disorder, is a mental illness in which a person acts as if an individual he or she is caring for has a physical or mental illness when the person is not really sick. People with MSP assume the role of a sick person indirectly by producing or lying about illness in another person under their care, usually a child under 6 years of age. However, cases have been reported of adult victims of MSP. (The term "by proxy" means "through a substitute.")

People with MSP have an inner need for the other person (often his or her child) to be seen as ill or injured. It is not done to achieve a concrete benefit, such as financial gain. People with MSP are even willing to have the child or other patient undergo painful or risky tests and operations in order to get the sympathy and special attention given to people who are truly ill and their families. Factitious disorders are considered mental illnesses because they are associated with severe emotional difficulties.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV), which is the standard reference book for recognized mental illnesses in the United States, organizes factitious disorders into four main types: those with mainly psychological symptoms, those with mainly physical symptoms, those with both physical and psychological symptoms, and those that do not match the conditions for the other three types. MSP falls into the fourth category.

MSP most often occurs with mothers—although it can occur with fathers—who intentionally harm or describe non-existent symptoms in their children to get the attention given to the family of someone who is sick. A person with MSP uses the many hospitalizations as a way to earn praise from others for her devotion to the child’s care, often using the sick child as a means for developing a relationship with the doctor or other health care provider.

People with MSP might create or exaggerate the child’s symptoms in several ways. They might simply lie about symptoms, alter diagnostic tests (such as contaminating a urine sample), falsify medical records, or induce symptoms through various means, such as poisoning, suffocating, starving, and causing infection.

CynicElle
08-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Also, given her history of lying, why on earth should anyone believe that she even had an awful childhood?

Couldn't agree more. People who do things like this in the first place tend to tell lie after lie after they're busted (because of course it's never really *their* fault that they did these awful things), so I suspect we're only at the tip of the BS iceberg with this one. I also read somewhere that she was claiming to be bipolar and that was why she did this.

algonquin
08-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Couldn't agree more. People who do things like this in the first place tend to tell lie after lie after they're busted (because of course it's never really *their* fault that they did these awful things), so I suspect we're only at the tip of the BS iceberg with this one. I also read somewhere that she was claiming to be bipolar and that was why she did this.Yep. If I were the judge on her court case, along for jail time for fraud, I would sentence her to community service in either a cancer hospice or a children's oncology department. Some justice would be served, but she would probably still play the victim card.

Jubak
08-10-2010, 03:17 AM

I was thinking the same thing!! I can't help but think she is mentally ill but bilking people and lying about cancer is absolutely heinous.

AragornElessar
08-10-2010, 07:49 PM
Couldn't agree more. People who do things like this in the first place tend to tell lie after lie after they're busted (because of course it's never really *their* fault that they did these awful things), so I suspect we're only at the tip of the BS iceberg with this one. I also read somewhere that she was claiming to be bipolar and that was why she did this.

On Toronto news last night they talked to her Father, who was blacked out to hide his identity, and he said that she's put them through Hell over the years and this isn't the first time she's pulled a stunt like this. Due to that, none of her Family were present at her Hearing yesterday or posted Bail.

While public service at a Children's Oncology Unit is a good idea for some, and in this case that would at Sick Kid's in Toronto, there are certain people that this type of a punishment wouldn't make a dent w/them. I think this person is one of those.

Michalle
08-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Also, in all honesty, is this really the kind of person you want to be exposing sick kids to? She sounds awful, so I doubt she would take the work seriously, and she would probably end up being an unpleasant person to have around.