PDA

View Full Version : Kids who hate to read?? HELP!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

babbyrabbit
08-06-2010, 03:41 AM
I am looking for any advice out there. My daughter HATES reading. She is a very talented reader so its not a lack of ability. She is 6 and is tested at a 5th grade reading level. But to get her to read is a complete struggle ending up with her crying.

I have offered her every book out there from skating to current movies.. Ect..

Looking for any advice from anyone who has dealt with the matter! :) thanks!!

PrincessLeppard
08-06-2010, 03:43 AM
If she's reading at that level, just let her be. When she's ready to read, she'll pick up a book on her own.

Anita18
08-06-2010, 04:23 AM
If she's reading at that level, just let her be. When she's ready to read, she'll pick up a book on her own.
Agree. If she's 6 and already reading at a 5th grade level, what's there to worry about? :lol:

Speaking of which, I'm very grateful my parents never put me in Kumon. :saint: Even though I was good at math, I HATED it. :rofl:

rjblue
08-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Do you read? The thing that gets most kids reading once they're past the picture book stage is being in a house where others are reading for pleasure.

If she's only 6, then even if she's a very good reader, most of her "enjoyment" reading would likely be being read to, not reading independantly.

Books I read with my kids when they were 6- Amelia Bedelia, The Littles, The Borrowers, Junie B. Jones.

And their chosen books, once they did start to read alone, were not the same ones their siblings liked, and none of them became fans of the ones I liked.

I liked reading the traditional ones- Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables
My eldest daughter liked reading classics- Shakespeare and Dickens in elementary school.
My middle child (girl) likes dark and depressing first person stories.
My son likes goofy adventure stuff- Captain Underpants, The Olympians, Diary of a Wimpy Kid

eta- I noticed when my eldest daughter started school that as soon as reading was assigned as homework, her time spent reading dropped off sharply. So I told my kids it was our secret, but that we didn't read for homework in our house, reading was something we do for pleasure, when we feel like it. We would fill in their reading logs with fake entries. Some days they'd read for 4 hours with a new book, sometimes they wouldn't read at all for a few days. (Assigned specific reading was different of course)

redonthehead
08-06-2010, 04:49 AM

This...

My daughter hated to read. I bought her every Junie B Jones (because they read them at school and she wanted them), Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen books (same) and anything else she wanted from Scholastic. I did this to get her to read because I love to read. I also read to them when they were little a lot.

Son well he had reading issues and hated to read for different reasons. But he always wanted books too so I bought them.

Nothing I did made them read those books. They didn't read the AR books at school even knowing they were going to get prizes for reading and man they give some great prizes at the end of the year (32' tv/dvd combos ect). Then when my daughter got in 10th grade, magically all she wanted to do was/is read. She has so many books it's unreal and Books A Million is her favorite store.

If you try to force her to read, she'll always hate it. So, just let her have whatever books she wants and she'll eventually pick them up and read them.

BrokenAnkle
08-06-2010, 05:05 AM
If she's only 6, then even if she's a very good reader, most of her "enjoyment" reading would likely be being read to, not reading independantly.

Books I read with my kids when they were 6- Amelia Bedelia, The Littles, The Borrowers, Junie B. Jones.

I think this is a good idea. Other good read aloud chapter books are Charlotte's Web and The Trumpet of the Swan, most Beverly Cleary books, the Amber Brown books by Paula Danziger, Winnie the Pooh by AA Milne, Mary Poppins, by PL Travers. Having picture books read to them is a wonderful and relaxing no pressure activity for kids - current popular books are Diary of a Worm, by Doreen Cronin, Angelina Ballerina by Holabird, anything by John Sciezka. Fairy tales are very popular with this age group too and there are some amazingly illustrated ones out there like Paul Zelinski's Rapunzel. Fractured fairy tales are just as good, in addition to the above mentioned John Sciezka, Falling for Rapunzel or Waking Beauty by Leah Wilcox or Shampoozel and the other books by Laurence Anholt. Also, don't hesitate to read her favorite books over and over again (no matter how awful they might be to you) My daughter has always loved to read, but she adored me reading The Book that Jack Wrote to her over and over again.

Finally, I also agree with those who suggest not worrying about it. She can read well, so that's great, but it's important for her to follow her other interests too. Maybe reading will take a larger role in her life later on.

Aussie Willy
08-06-2010, 05:10 AM
I agree about just letting her find her own way with it. Particularly if she is reading above her age.

mag
08-06-2010, 05:32 AM
Read to her. Don't insist she read (we also don't read for homework in my house.) My now 10 year old was at a similar level when she was in grade 1. She never read anything but we continued to read to her. Suddenly this year she has decided to read and has read more books than I can count! We are a big reading family. Eldest dd is an avid reader. Always has been. We all sit around in the winter and read books. We just read to the younger one and didn't push it. Like I said, now she reads.

I really think that the reading for homework is a real turn off for some kids. Reading should be fun!

vesperholly
08-06-2010, 07:35 AM
If you try to force her to read, she'll always hate it. So, just let her have whatever books she wants and she'll eventually pick them up and read them.
ITA.

Do you read to her? Maybe a 5-minute bedtime reading would be beneficial to you both - you can feel proactive and she can continue to be exposed to books. Plus it's a nice bonding time. :) Even if her skills are beyond her age, a 6-year-old probably doesn't have the attention span to sit still and read anything for very long.

I'm a huge reader and was always advanced in English classes, but I don't think the habit really kicked in until I was in 4th grade. I vividly remember my teacher Mrs. Lisandrelli reading The Indian In The Cupboard to us. Thank you, Mrs. L!

Hedwig
08-06-2010, 08:40 AM
The worst thing you could do is trying to force her. I agree about reading to her. And leave the subject of her reading herself of the table for at least half a year now.

millyskate
08-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Agree about reading to her! My dad would read through books to us every evening until we were 10-11. Not just 5 minutes, but a full 30 min, sometimes more (he enjoyed the books as well, since it was the books he'd read as a child).

It gave us the love of reading, and we'd a load on the side ourselves - wanting to cover all the other books in the series and stuff.

Gypsy
08-06-2010, 01:19 PM
I agree about reading to her/with her.

A great series is the Narnia books

Wiery
08-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Read to her, don't worry about her lack of interest in reading to herself.

What non-reading activities does she enjoy?

RockTheTassel
08-06-2010, 02:45 PM
One thing you could try is listening to books on tape, especially during a long car ride. It's not the same thing, but it's still beneficial and might inspire her to pick up more books on her own.

GarrAarghHrumph
08-06-2010, 02:53 PM
My daughter is also age 6, and way above her grade level in reading. But most of the reading she wants done, and that we do, is us reading to her. It's a bonding thing, and it's normal for her age to enjoy being read to. As others have said, my suggestion would be for you to consider taking a step back, and reading to her, rather than pressing her to read on her own. You may find that as you read, she takes over for a few pages; then you're in charge again. That's what often happens with my daughter.

Read to her every day, maybe just before bed. Make it part of the going-to-bed ritual. She gets to pick the book. Doesn't matter if it's a beginning reader book, or 5th grade level - let her pick. Then you read it, with no pressure for her to read. Do that for a good while - see how it goes.