PDA

View Full Version : Kids who hate to read?? HELP!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

timing
08-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Don't force her to read. Try reading a book or two from a series to her. If you are reading a certain amount each day and she is interested in the story she may start to read to find out what happens. Also don't worry about the reading level of the books, look for something which is interesting to her.

Some good series - The Magic Tree House books, Harry Potter books, and The Warrior Cat books

millyskate
08-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I agree about reading to her/with her.

A great series is the Narnia books

ITA! We did all of those, the Arthur Ransome collection (maybe that's too old and British for a young, contemporary American audience, but those are the ones we enjoyed the most), most of Roal Dahl, many biographies or inventors and explorers, some adapted for children, some not, some great classics like Oliver Twist, the March girls, Tom Sawyer...

PRlady
08-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Also make sure she has an eye exam. My oldest stepdaughter hated to read and was diagnosed with a focusing problem long after fixing it would have done her some good. :( Now she's 40 and still doesn't read for pleasure....it's probably not that, but it's worth checking out.

jeffisjeff
08-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Are there any reading clubs for kids you could join, e.g., at the local library? There is one at my 7 year old's camp and one at our local library. My son's competitive nature has him reading up a storm! He also likes getting prizes. :shuffle:

Also, we buy some of our books through Amazon (they're kids books have been buy 3, get one free). I let my son sit at the computer and pick the books he wants. He then gets impatient waiting for the delivery and dives right in as soon as they arrive!

PDilemma
08-06-2010, 05:34 PM
My nephew didn't like reading on his own at 6 and 7 either. He still wanted to be read to. We read every night before he went to sleep and every morning when he woke up, it was a ritual. Gradually, it started to be him reading to me more than me reading to him. He is 15 now and reads everything he can get his hands on.

Make a specific time that you read together and the rest will come.

michiruwater
08-06-2010, 05:51 PM
At 6 I read all of the American Girl novels, Narnia, Redwall, and Nancy Drew. The Prydain Chronicles were my favorite, though :)

I agree that reading to her is probably a good idea. Have the books around but let her come to them on her own :)

Aceon6
08-06-2010, 05:53 PM
In addition to the suggestions about pleasure reading in this thread, have her read for you when you're scanning the grocery ads and when you're grocery shopping. If you're in an area where there are several food stores, give her a task like "who has the best price on peaches?" She'll read, do a little math, and feel like she's being useful.

6/7 is so tricky. The kids are making a big transition and just starting to figure out what THEY like vs. what their parents like. Also, much of the material that's right for her level probably doesn't feel right for her age and experience. It might be a good idea to just let her catch up in age before you try again.

genevieve
08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Agree about reading to her - and especially seeing the adults in the house read, even when she's not involved. If she sees that reading is a valued and fun thing for the family, she may become more interested herself.

but I agree, if her reading level is that high, I wouldn't worry too much.

mag
08-06-2010, 07:08 PM
I second the suggestion about an eye exam. Kids should have one every year while in elementary school because their eyes can change so much.

skateycat
08-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Little skateycat is able to read, and I've even observed him picking up books and reading on his own. But he loves loves loves being read to, and his ability to expand his reading abilities seems limited mainly by his attention span.

I agree with what's been said already, especially don't apply force, have her eyes checked, read to her and look for real life literacy activities.

I maintain a twitter account from his perspective, and for now we tweet the things he says. The other day he said something really cute while we were listening to his favorite rocker, Derek Miller. (http://twitter.com/Ifipaan/statuses/20269474816)

What a treat to show him that Derek Miller retweeted his words! (http://twitter.com/derekmillerlive/statuses/20328318159)

A book that I like for getting book ideas, for general ideas for reading together and fostering the love of stories and reading is The Read-Aloud Handbook. (http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/rah-intro.html)

agalisgv
08-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Just curious, but why is it important for children to like reading? If a child can read well, does it matter if they pursue it as an activity?

I ask because there seems to be a presumption that reading as a fun activity is something to cultivate, but it also seems like a very solitary activity (even if the family is reading, they are all reading separate stories and not interacting with each other). So I could see it appealing to some, but not necessarily to all.

I don't know the research in this area--is there an objective reason why reading as an activity should be pushed instead of say, sewing, sports, arts, or music? I can understand if a child has reading difficulties and needs to develop that skill set, but beyond that?

Anita18
08-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Just curious, but why is it important for children to like reading? If a child can read well, does it matter if they pursue it as an activity?

I ask because there seems to be a presumption that reading as a fun activity is something to cultivate, but it also seems like a very solitary activity (even if the family is reading, they are all reading separate stories and not interacting with each other). So I could see it appealing to some, but not necessarily to all.

I don't know the research in this area--is there an objective reason why reading as an activity should be pushed instead of say, sewing, sports, arts, or music? I can understand if a child has reading difficulties and needs to develop that skill set, but beyond that?
I agree. I feel a bit uncultured sometimes since I don't read books for pleasure, but I love reading articles online, I read fast when I have to, and obviously I'm not stupid. (At least I hope not. :lol: )

I simply pursue other things for fun. As long as the child can read and has good reading comprehension, I don't see the issue with them not preferring to read for pleasure.

kwanfan1818
08-06-2010, 10:29 PM
I third the eye exam. My third grade teacher was the one who realized I couldn't see the blackboard and that I didn't have a learning disability, and told my parents to send me for an eye exam.

Since it's been a while since families sat around while one person read to them, it's easy to think of being read to as something childish and something to outgrow. Also, I've often encountered the attitude from parents I know that once a child crosses a threshold, the child should never "revert", when a person's needs fluctuate, and just because they can do something independently, doesn't mean that they want to.

mag
08-07-2010, 12:52 AM

I've had this discussion with a number of my dd's teachers. I have always maintained that it is her choice what she does with her free time (within some limits, of course.) If she reads well enough to do well at school then that is fine. Interestingly, my other dd really struggled with math but is a brilliant reader. When I suggested to her teacher that perhaps math should be practiced in school the reading was her response was that she didn't want to force kids to practice math because she wanted to make sure they enjoyed it. Too much practice might turn them off ...:huh: Go figure. I just didn't know how to respond.

Myskate
08-07-2010, 01:19 AM
My boys were the same too. Instead of books, I got them subscriptions to magazines they liked and comic books they liked. I didn't really care what they read--just that they enjoyed what they read with no pressure.