PDA

View Full Version : B&N for sale/Borders Files for Bankruptcy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

Wyliefan
08-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Don't think I like the sound of this (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704499604575407700632505956.html?m od=e2tw) . . . :(

smurfy
08-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Very interesting. Wonder if the big store is out, and the smaller, mom & pop style store would could do very well. I love the small bookstores (what is left of them), but B&N has always has good customer service too. As much as I love my computer etc, wandering in a bookstore is a favorite pasttime. Hope that does not go away.

ChelleC
08-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Wow, neither do I. :(

rfisher
08-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Very interesting. Wonder if the big store is out, and the smaller, mom & pop style store would could do very well. I love the small bookstores (what is left of them), but B&N has always has good customer service too. As much as I love my computer etc, wandering in a bookstore is a favorite pasttime. Hope that does not go away.

Unlikely. The big stores get breaks from the publishers because they buy in volume. The smaller stores won't. This hurts the publishers and authors more than anything.

sk9tingfan
08-05-2010, 02:03 PM
It sounds like yet another legendary store that originated and was a mainstay in New York City has overexpanded in terms of bricks and mortar. Another example of this was Fortunoffs that started in East New York near the El, emerged during the sixties and overexpanded. It closed last year :(

Wyliefan
08-05-2010, 02:13 PM
I love all bookstores -- big, small, new, used, chain, mom & pop, it doesn't matter. I can't bear to see any of them go out. When it comes to bookstores, I'm like Pat in the L. M. Montgomery books, who used to pitch a fit every time someone cut down a tree.

pilgrimsoul
08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
This does not bode well - my whole family has bought Nooks over the last few months and we love them. I fervently hope there is no dilution/discontinuation of service/features or worse, additional charges for using our Nooks when B&N gets sold.

mikey
08-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I am probably in the minority, but I prefer ebooks over traditional books in every way imaginable. I wonder if the new medium has had any effect in this case, although it's probably too soon for that.

orbitz
08-05-2010, 05:29 PM
I wonder if Borders will also go this way.

danceronice
08-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I think where Mom & Pop stores have it over the big ones is they generally can operate in specialty markets (children's only, used, special subject) that attract a specific buyer group more likely to shop locally than use Amazon. But B&N and Borders, being basically "Amazon with more overhead", stand to lose big--if you can get the mass-market national releases cheaply for Kindle (which is where I've put my money, figuratively, on which reader is going to win the VHS/Beta-style war of Kindle/Nook) and aren't trying to browse for a rare/odd item, you will use Amazon.

Wyliefan
08-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I had thought Borders would go first, actually. A friend of mine heard a rumor about it. But maybe she heard wrong . . .

Cheylana
08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Sad but I saw this coming. Even putting aside the whole digital book download (which doesn't really appeal to me, I like holding actual books), I can get most books B&N sells much cheaper by buying at The Strand, or ordering on Amazon, or bidding on eBay, or borrowing from the library. Surely many others are doing the same. Having said that, I hope B&N can figure things out, stay afloat. Otherwise, store closings means yet more people out of work. :(

Wyliefan, I heard a similar rumor about Borders, but I guess they've figured things out. Maybe the music sales help keep them going? Although their CDs and DVDs are also pretty expensive.

orbitz
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Wyliefan, I heard a similar rumor about Borders, but I guess they've figured things out. Maybe the music sales help keep them going? Although their CDs and DVDs are also pretty expensive.

The Borders close to where I live had reduced their CDs and DVDs sections significantly from a few years ago. I don't undestand why you would pay more for a CD or DVD at Borders when you can get it cheaper at Best Buy or online at amazon, for example.

Wyliefan
08-05-2010, 09:45 PM
The Borders close to where I live had reduced their CDs and DVDs sections significantly from a few years ago.

Mine too. I thought at first they were going to get rid of them altogether, but it hasn't happened yet.

skatingfan5
08-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I had heard that Barnes and Noble were going to buy out Borders -- guess that was wrong or things have changed for the worse since I first heard those rumblings (about 18 months ago or so).