PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Afrin?

BigB08822
08-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Weird question. Has anyone here used Afrin? I have been so sick the last two days and I just want to breathe. I found a bottle in our cabinet that was unopened so I tried to use it but as hard as I squeeze, only air comes out. It feels like the bottle is hardly close to being full. The only way I can get any kind of liquid to come out is to tilt the bottle but the directions say not to tilt my head back. Is it supposed to only be air that comes out and works or should the liquid go up into my nose? I don't want to keep squeezing this over and over if I am doing it right but I don't want it to not work.

Southpaw
08-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Years ago when I had tremendous sinus problems I became kinda addicted to Afrin. I wasn't the only one with that monkey on my back, either.

You know what I found recently that's even better than Afrin, though? Zicam sinus spray. It's potent. Kinda pricey, but I think it's worth it.

Meredith
08-05-2010, 12:48 AM
My ENT prescribed Afrin when I had a sinus infection last year. He gave me specific instructions (sorry, but don't remember what they were). He did not want me to use the product longer than the directions suggested.

It's not just you; Afrin spray comes out as such a fine mist, but it really does work. Just do not tilt your head back!

Hope you're feeling better soon, Brian.

BigB08822
08-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Ok I was just worried that the bottle wasn't full enough to get the spray to come out. I have a friend coming over later who is addicted to the stuff, I'm going to let her spray the bottle to see if it looks right. I just expected to feel something. I am going to be very careful about the product, I have heard of people becoming addicted (like my friend) and I don't want to go down that road, not to mention it can make the problem much worse if you over-use, which my friend also found out.

Lurking Skater
08-05-2010, 12:59 AM
As long as you don't use it for more than three days, you should be fine. The rebound congestion becomes an issue if you use it longer than that.

Aimless
08-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Before you get involved with Afrin, google "Afrin loss of sense of smell". This happened to my father and it's a sad thing. On the other hand, it was his fault. He abused Afrin.
Try this experiment. Hold or plug your nose with a clothes pin or other clip and eat a couple of very different foods. All taste like nothing and all taste the same, right? IMHO, the benefits of Afrin do not nearly outweigh the risks. The rebound congestions tends to get you addicted to the stuff and then it gets very harmful, nuff said. Last I knew, there was no warning about the loss of sense of smell.

BigB08822
08-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks Aimless. I only took it once last night and plan on taking it to work to use only if I MUST. I am mainly stopped up only in my left nostril so at least I can somewhat breathe. I actually SMELLED something this morning. It almost took me by surprise.

Isn't the mucus supposed to be clear when you blow your nose? For the past 2 days, when I was at my worst, it was always clear. This morning there was some yellowish color to it. Is that normal for the yellow color to appear after you begin feeling a little better? I hope the worst is over.

mikey
08-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Color doesn't mean much usually. What may have happened is that the Afrin opened things up enough that you were able to drain more. Definitely don't use it for more than 3 days. Personally, I wish a prescription were required to use it.

Octoberopals
08-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Do a nasal wash with warm salt water & a bulb [used to pull mucus out of a baby's nose]. You will be surprised at all the junk that comes out of your sinus....keep your mouth open during this procedure.

There is a commerical product called Neilmed Sinus Rinse here in the US. Use distilled water, slightly heated, in the bulb/bottle, before adding the little package of salt stuff. You can actually breathe again.

woodstock
08-10-2010, 02:20 AM
My sinus infections were so chronic and bad I had surgery to open holes up bigger and such for drainage (wow what a difference!). Beware afrin and such sprays, they only seemed to work short term, and honestly, I could barely use them as they triggered nosebleeds. I second the recommendation for the neilmed sinus wash. The squirt bottle works better than the neti pot version, more pressure to loosen the gunk. Octoberopals is right, it will clear you out alot, you can blow your nose like mad, use the sinus rinse right after, and get more gunk you didn't even know was still up there. Use it morning and evening if you're really congested. And all it is is saline wash, so no chemicals to mess with your nasal passages.

Jubak
08-10-2010, 03:06 AM
I have a really bad deviated septum and have been very congested this month. I used the neti pot, which I've used in the past, just to see if I could open things up & intead just filled my sinuses up with saline water that wouldn't drain out. I wouldn't suggest the Neti pot for this reason. I may want to try the saline wash with the bulb as it doesn't seem to have the effect of the Neti, which you may, too.

I've been hooked on Afrin in the past & have had to take steriods to get off the stuff. It's hard not to use it more than 3 days as most colds last longer than that,