PDA

View Full Version : Eye cream for eye puffiness/bags?

Pages : [1] 2

altai_rose
08-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm trying to find a good eye cream to relieve the chronic puffy eyes and slight eye bags I have. I think mine are caused by a combination of heredity, stress, and possibly mild allergic or sinus problems. There are so many products out there and I'm not sure if any of them work!

Do any of you have positive experiences with a particular eye cream or gel that works?

Sparks
08-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Have you tried tea bags or cucumbers?

Rob
08-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I rolled my eyes when my friend tried to sell me some Mary Kay, but I tried it and I particularly like these 2 for puffiness/bags. I can get you a link to her site if you are interested (she's on the MD Eastern Shore).

http://www.marykay.com/skincare/lipeyecare/10029737/10029737/default.aspx
http://www.marykay.com/skincare/lipeyecare/10027908/10027908/default.aspx

GarrAarghHrumph
08-04-2010, 10:37 PM
If part of the problem is allergies/sinus, treat the underlying issue, and you may find some relief re: the bags and etc.

Rob
08-04-2010, 11:16 PM
I have awful allergies so I use Flonase & Zyrtec. But my skin is ultra sensitive too. Tea bags give me welts and a rash. Cucumbers feel good but don't do much in the long run. In fact, it is rare that I find anything I can put on my eyes that doesn't give me welts

BigB08822
08-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I've heard of people using Preparation H.

GarrAarghHrumph
08-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I've heard of people using Preparation H.

1) doesn't actually work, and
2) is dangerous. Getting that stuff in the eye is bad news.

Holley Calmes
08-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Estee Lauder's Re-Nutriv works for me. It's almost like magic. I don't like investing in expensive cosmetics or skin treatments unless I have used a sample and know it will work for me. Besides, this stuff is like a 2 times a year investment if you use it sparingly. But when the lady at the cosmetic counter said "here, dab this beneath your eye" and I did....within seconds the puffiness was totally gone! It took off 10 years in 30 seconds. So heck yeah-I ponied up for it and have never regretted it since. I've used it a couple of years now.

Of course-everyone's skin is different, and different things work for different people. This works for me.

Now, somebody tell me how to get this huge freckle/age spot off my cheek! It's right under my eye. I've managed to lighten it a lot with Rite Aid products, but it isn't going away completely. Getting old is hell.

GarrAarghHrumph
08-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I have awful allergies so I use Flonase & Zyrtec. But my skin is ultra sensitive too. Tea bags give me welts and a rash. Cucumbers feel good but don't do much in the long run. In fact, it is rare that I find anything I can put on my eyes that doesn't give me welts

You've got the antihistimine in the Zyrtec, so that's good.

If the bags are caused by fluid, then you can use a cool washcloth instead of a tea bag. Put the cool cloth against the eye area, and press lightly for a few minutes. You could also try to sleep with your head elevated by an extra pillow, or by propping up your mattress. This can help keep fluid from collecting there. And make sure you get enough sleep - lack of sleep can contribute.

But if it's hereditary, there's little you can truly do other than surgery, although I've heard that phosphatidylcholine injections can also work. And yes, I had to look up the spelling on that one.

beepbeep
08-05-2010, 01:30 AM
If the bags are caused by fluid, then you can use a cool washcloth instead of a tea bag. Put the cool cloth against the eye area, and press lightly for a few minutes. You could also try to sleep with your head elevated by an extra pillow, or by propping up your mattress. This can help keep fluid from collecting there. And make sure you get enough sleep - lack of sleep can contribute.

You can also put a spoon in the freezer. Press lightly the convex part against the puffed area (after the spoon is cold, of course). Puts everything in place rather quickly. I prefer that to the gel masks.

Auntie
08-05-2010, 01:34 AM
I have had horrible allergies for years and my eyes bear the brunt. Last fall I got a sample of the Josie Maran argan oil from Sephora and it has been the best thing for my eyes. Honestly, I have tried EVERYTHING and now I won't let that little miracle vial out of my sight. It really soothes the skin and my eyes look less puffy and irritated. Unfortunately it costs a bloody fortune but a small drop goes a long way.

For under eye bags, I love Skyn Icelandic relief eye cream.

I also love OTC Zatador eye drops for itchiness and redness.

Cheylana
08-05-2010, 03:43 AM
I'm convinced my eye puffiness is genetic and I'm pretty much stuck with it. However, tea bags (black tea) have been helpful to me in the past.

orbitz
08-05-2010, 03:59 AM
1) doesn't actually work, and
2) is dangerous. Getting that stuff in the eye is bad news.

Um...getting any type of eye cream in your eye is bad news. It's not exclusive to PH.

I haven't heard anything about PH not working though. If mean its purpose is to reduce the swelling of the tissue around your anal area, so I'd imagine it would have similar effect with the tissue around the eyes area (be careful of course not to get too close to the actual eyes).

Cheylana
08-05-2010, 05:33 AM
For what it's worth, I've tried PH and it didn't do squat for me. Although maybe my eye puffiness is too severe.

Jenny
08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Estee Lauder's Re-Nutriv works for me. It's almost like magic. I don't like investing in expensive cosmetics or skin treatments unless I have used a sample and know it will work for me. Besides, this stuff is like a 2 times a year investment if you use it sparingly.

Agree with this - it's a good idea to invest in a really good eye cream (and moisturizer) for once a week use, and as Holley says, the really good products do go a long way.

For everyday use, I recommend Clinique's All About Eyes line. You can choose a light gel for day, and a heavier version for night. They also have a product that goes on over makeup, so you can touch up during the day if you feel you need it - I always bring it with me on planes for example, and it's great at skating events where the cold air can dry you out. Their new roller ball pen is really effective too.