PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD 8/4-5 The Final Four

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

Aceon6
08-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Nigel has been tweeting this morning that he is returning to AI as Exec Producer

OK, so that means much less time for SYTYCD. Think he'll turn it over to Adam? He hasn't done much TV.

barbk
08-05-2010, 05:04 PM
OK, so that means much less time for SYTYCD. Think he'll turn it over to Adam? He hasn't done much TV.

Blech. I find Shankman substantially less articulate when it comes to critiques than even Mary Murphy, who despite the screams and howls could at least incorporate some meaningful comments.

reckless
08-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Not that I enjoy standing on the grassy knoll, but I thought it was interesting to see how the final three male dancers have been treated this year with selections.

Kent has had two ballroom dances all season both times the Cha Cha. His order has been Cha Cha (in week one, when there was no chance of his going), Jazz, Jazz, Hip Hop, Contemporary, Broadway, Contemporary, Jazz, Stepping, Cha Cha, Broadway, Disco, and Contemporary. Three Contemporary, three Jazz, and two Broadway means most of his dances have been well within his comfort zone. Given that I found his hip hop, step, and disco to be terrible, I wonder how he would have fared if given a more varied set of dances.

Robert, by contrast, has had Argentine Tango, Quickstep, Samba, and Viennese Waltz in ballroom. In addition, he also has had African Jazz, Disco, Bollywood, and Hip Hop. His order has been African Jazz, Argentine Tango, Jazz, Jazz, Quickstep, Contemporary, Disco, Jazz, Samba, Contemporary, Bollywood, Viennese Waltz, and Hip Hop. (And one of those jazz dances was choreographed by Tyce, so it should not count.) Adding the hip hop, eight of his 13 dances have been outside his comfort zone.

Adechicke has had Salsa, Foxtrot, and Paso Doble. (His order was Jazz, Contemporary, Hip Hop, Jazz, Bollywood, Salsa, Contemporary, Lyrical Hip Hop, Paso Doble, Jazz, Foxtrot, African Jazz, and Contemporary.) That seems fairly balanced.

I find it interesting that neither Robert nor Adechicke has ever had Broadway. From the opening last night, I think it is clear that they would do quite well with decent Broadway choreography. (Of course, if they did get Broadway, they would probably get choreo from Tyce, rather than a competent Broadway choreographer.)

genevieve
08-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Robert has said that he loves hip hop, so I wouldn't count that as being outside his comfot zone. It is very bizarre that he has gotten the overwhelming majority of Ballroom, but part of me thinks that judges find him to be adept at ballroom and wanted to keep stretching him in that way. Or, they wanted to de-emphasize his contemporary skills to keep Robert in the 'dark horse' category among all the grat contemporary guys (or perhaps they didn't want to give audiences too many chances to see him in his comfort zone against Alex, Billy, and Kent doing the same). I mean, the judges have been shoving Robert down our throats since day one, so they definitely haven't been trying to sabotage him.

It is very interesting to look at Kent's selections, though :sekret:

Allskate
08-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Still wish Billy was here.

Me, too. And miss Mark. I was wishing he was in that spider dance with Lauren.

I thought Kent's disco dance was the weakest dance of the night, but the contemporary was perfect for him. IMO, Adechike was the weakest overall, but I think the tears and the tough critiques will get him tons of votes and there's no way he's going home tonight. It's between Lauren and Robert whose going home tonight, which is a shame, because I thought those two were the best overall. And Robert managed to do well despite not having a dance in his genre. I did think that Lauren needed to be a little more sultry, but I still think she deserves to be in the finale.

But, to be honest, I don't care a whole lot about the results anymore. The season lost a lot of steam after Alex and then Billy left.

LordCirque
08-05-2010, 05:50 PM
According to his tweets, Nigel will not be leaving SYTYCD US or UK. Things can change though.

tarotx
08-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Robert is more of a jazz-hip hop-contemporary guy. Instead of being a star in any he's ok in each of them. He's also looks tall, dark and handsome which is why they gave him the ballroom even though his technique is weak. Nigel loves his male dancers looking like Robert and his female hot and young. Robert also had his contemporaries be about a sick loved one and about War. Too things that really touch American's hearts.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Kent tonight. Ohio had huge storms last night. Electric was out all over and cell lines were compromised. I voted the whole 2 hours and only got in a limited number of votes for Lauren. I refused to have an all male top 3. Especially when I'm not a fan of Adechike or Roberts (except for him in pictures and images). I do wish that Kent waited a year or 2 to try out. He's good now but needs life experience to fill out his dancing.

Aceon6
08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
I do wish that Kent waited a year or 2 to try out. He's good now but needs life experience to fill out his dancing.

I really don't think Kent's done growing physically. After this many weeks of SYTYCD, the older contestants show much more muscle definition. Even Benji was pretty ripped by this stage. Kent needs to finish growing, then work on filling out his upper body.

Rob
08-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I pretty much ITA with all of rjblue's posts. My fave was clown hip hop. I really really wanted to love the Richardson/Rhoden choreo, but I really really did not. Travis' piece was very good, but not the piece of the season IMO.

My admin doesn't watch this, but she heard from her brother that their childhood friend is Kent's mom, Lori. My admin was older and used to tutor Kent's mom for test prep etc. So she watched. She said the Boyds were a wealthy family in the area who owned a chain of pharmacies.

venja
08-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Blech. I find Shankman substantially less articulate when it comes to critiques than even Mary Murphy, who despite the screams and howls could at least incorporate some meaningful comments.

Speaking of Mary Murphy, what happened to her? I haven't watched this season religiously. Did she even choreograph any numbers?

Rob
08-05-2010, 10:18 PM
No so far. She is scheduled for some guest appearances in the Burn the Floor tour so maybe she is rehearsing.

Meredith
08-06-2010, 01:08 AM
I liked Kent's contemporary piece the best last night, which was odd because I don't particularly care for Kent. Like Aceon6, I think he is too young, and it would have been better if he had waited a year or two.

Can not stand Tyce. I want him off my television screen. Period.

Jayar
08-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Who cheated on Travis? That's what the real story was in that Kent piece. LOL.

Aceon6
08-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Who cheated on Travis? That's what the real story was in that Kent piece. LOL.

Or is there something going on with Danny?

LadyGray
08-06-2010, 01:48 AM
I loved the choreography of Adechike's contemporary piece, hated the music.

Also: ooooh, forgot about Travis' connection with Danny... I think you're right, Aceon6, that that might be the impetus for that dance.

I still hope Lauren wins.