PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD 8/4-5 The Final Four

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

nypanda
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Oh. Good. Phew!

Holley Calmes
08-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Mr. Villella is in his 60's or so. I know he's older than me, and I'm 60. Believe me, the body just won't move the way it did back in your younger days. No, Mr. V won't be dancing.

There are many, many fine young male ballet trained dancers who could fill in for Alex. Maybe hundreds across the country. They just aren't famous.

KikiSashaFan
08-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Travis and Allison have been twittering Nigel that they want to dance together in the finale. Now that would be :swoon:

Lauren FTW!

LadyGray
08-06-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't think that either Danny or Travis is the replacement in the Alex/Twitch hip hop. Napolean mentioned in the post-show interview the night they danced that number that Alex was the only dancer (I'm guessing he means non-hip hop) from any of the seasons who could pull off several of the moves. He said that they'd tried to choreograph a few of the harder ones (he mentioned the Sponge Bob and something else I hadn't heard of before) in past SYTYCD routines, but even after rehearsing them, every other dancer has requested that those moves get taken out. So, he and Tabitha were really pleased that they finally got a dancer who could pull them off so they didn't have to re-choreograph the routine to make it easier.

I have a feeling it is a non-SYTYCD dancer, but I have no guesses as to who it might be.

LordCirque
08-06-2010, 08:10 PM
PROBABLY a dancer from VIVA Elvis, that'd be my guess

LordCirque
08-06-2010, 09:41 PM
I was out celebrating the end of Prop 8 in California on Wednesday so I didn't watch Wednesday night, and DVR didn't record so I've watched a few pieces online, and have only watched Adechike/Kathryn, and Kent/Neil.

Adechike/Kathryn: I actually loved the choreography of this piece, but only because I was watching Kathryn and not Adechike to know how it was supposed to look, and the music. But this piece REALLY displayed the difference in dance ability between Adechike and Kathryn, and not in a positive light for Adechike. The clarity, polish, and over all execution of the movement was not as clear or crisp as Kathryn. I thought Robert kept up with her much better in the military piece a week or two ago. I still think Adechike should have been gone weeks ago and wished it was Billy dancing this piece.

Kent/Neil: I'm so glad we finally got a piece like this on the show. I loved it. There is no way this piece was just about friendship. I loved this piece. I didn't always love the choreography itself, but that's a stylistic and artistic preference, not a critique of the choreography. You could really feel the true emotion in the performance and really see the story being told, as if it was really happening. That is the sign of a great performance and piece. All 3 really delivered with this piece. Not my favorite piece of the season, but definitely up there, because it did finally delve into the area of a gay relationship and the dissolving of that, and bringing the dissolving of a relationship like that to the forefront in the same way we see the dissolving of straight relationships. Obviously they can't say that right out on TV as it would, sad but true, negatively effect the general voting population. I've been waiting 7 seasons for this piece and finally got it.

Rob
08-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Travis and Allison have been twittering Nigel that they want to dance together in the finale. Now that would be :swoon:

I would love that since we wuzrobbed of them dancing together in Season 2!

Holley Calmes
08-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I would love that since we wuzrobbed of them dancing together in Season 2!

Oh Heaven! PLEASE Nigel!

Evidently Alex and Billy are wandering about Disneyland....

http://i33.tinypic.com/xmll79.jpg

Hope that link works. Here's another:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2qc3v2v.jpg

Alex just always has a smile on his face no matter what. No wonder we love him.

rjblue
08-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Kent/Neil: I'm so glad we finally got a piece like this on the show. I loved it. There is no way this piece was just about friendship. ..

.. Obviously they can't say that right out on TV as it would, sad but true, negatively effect the general voting population. I've been waiting 7 seasons for this piece and finally got it.The fact that they had to set up the piece as "backstabbing friends" kind of spoiled it for me. As a dance of betrayed love it would have been wonderful, because there was a lot of passion in that piece.

Re - the substitute for Alex- I was thinking that they'll either have to alter the choreo for either a strong contemporary or a strong hip-hop dancer.

The Accordion
08-07-2010, 03:02 AM
Okay - I will admit to being a somewhat rabid fan - but why can't they just re-show the actual dance with Alex and Twitch -for the finale?
I remember on one of the SYYCD they had to do that once when someone was away or injured- was it Russel last year?
Many of us have re-wathched that piece over and over and I am sure it would be totally okay to show it again.

genevieve
08-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Why not just go watch it on youtube?

It would be a complete waste of airtime to reshow old footage - better to just forgo the piece altogether.

LordCirque
08-07-2010, 04:18 AM
The fact that they had to set up the piece as "backstabbing friends" kind of spoiled it for me. As a dance of betrayed love it would have been wonderful, because there was a lot of passion in that piece.

I still think it was blatantly obvious, but they didn't want to risk sabotaging Kent to his Tween Girl voting audience but giving him "the gay piece."

pixie cut
08-07-2010, 02:56 PM
I still think it was blatantly obvious, but they didn't want to risk sabotaging Kent to his Tween Girl voting audience but giving him "the gay piece."

If this show was as manipulative as everyone says, Kent would never have been given this piece at all. If they're so eager to predetermine results, Kent would have danced with Kathryn or Lauren not Neil. Everyone knows Travis is gay. He's been open about it back to when he was a contestant. So why would they let him choreograph a routine for two guys if they're so intent to butch up Kent?

LadyGray
08-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Hope that link works. Here's another:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2qc3v2v.jpg

Alex just always has a smile on his face no matter what. No wonder we love him.

I love him because he's actually pointing his toes WITH A CAST ON :eek::smokin::hat1::rollin:

:lol:

The Accordion
08-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Why not just go watch it on youtube?

It would be a complete waste of airtime to reshow old footage - better to just forgo the piece altogether.

I don't agree that it would be a complete waste of time.

I think the finale is partly about showing the best of for the season. Many people think that the Alex and Twitch number was one of the highlights and that Alex in general was too. If showing footage is the only way to include it and him in the best of show - then I don't see that airing it for 2 1/2 minutes would be out of the question.

It is quite possible, depending on who the replacement is, that showing that dance without Alex will be more of a waste of time. The dance was choreographed to his strengths and personality and part of the wow factor was seeing a ballet dancer in general - but him specifically do such a fantastic job.