PDA

View Full Version : 19 Kids and Counting - 5th season

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

orbitz
08-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Maybe God will finally decide that 19 children is enough for them.

taf2002
08-14-2010, 10:55 PM
I have never watched this show but I've picked up a lot from this thread about this family. I had never heard of them until they had their 19th child. Sorry, but I think they are disgusting. Of course, I feel the same way about all the other families who exploit their kids. If they were truly a devout family trying to do God's will, would they be money grubbing on TV? And if they weren't on TV, could they afford to have a 20th kid?

It seems the thing to do now...take fertility drugs, have a litter of children, and go on TV & become a pseudo-celebrity. Apparently this woman didn't take drugs to have kids but what is there about her & her family (except size) that makes them worth watching on TV? Why should people become rich & famous for getting pregnant like Octomom?

And it sounds like child labor/child abuse in the way she treats the older girls. Again, what is so compelling about that that makes people want to watch them? I hope those poor teenagers run hard & far away from these people & get to have a life that's not filled with one pregnancy after another.

Jubak
08-15-2010, 02:47 AM
I dont' watch the show and won't. I've seen enough specials about them to have an understanding how they do things. I did, however, read that last People magazine article. I really think that the two of them have something mentally wrong with them. They don't need to have this many children. She appears to like the attention of being pregnant & giving birth, like a hypochondriac or a person with Munhausen's by proxy. Once she's had the child, she hands it off shortly thereafter to an older girl and works on getting pregnant again, perpetuating the cycle. The husband likes the attention also. The last thing these folks needed was a TV show.

That poor little 19th child, besides being a preemie, looks like she has something seriously wrong with her. You are not supposed to say the parents caused this, but Michelle has physically pushed the limits of her body to the edge. It is obvious that she is 1) aging out 2) having physical problems. She needs to stop.

But this is just our opinions. Most reasonable people say the same thing (almost everyone) The children are the ones who will be hurt in the long run.

orbitz
08-15-2010, 03:25 AM
I really think that the two of them have something mentally wrong with them. They don't need to have this many children.

The parents know that the only reason they appear on the TODAY show or on the cover of People's is when they pop out a kid.

ArtisticFan
08-15-2010, 02:36 PM
I dont' watch the show and won't. I've seen enough specials about them to have an understanding how they do things. I did, however, read that last People magazine article. I really think that the two of them have something mentally wrong with them. They don't need to have this many children. She appears to like the attention of being pregnant & giving birth, like a hypochondriac or a person with Munhausen's by proxy. Once she's had the child, she hands it off shortly thereafter to an older girl and works on getting pregnant again, perpetuating the cycle. The husband likes the attention also. The last thing these folks needed was a TV show.

My take on them is that they seem to have their whole identity wrapped up in this desire to have more and more children. They declare their religious beliefs are such that they feel so many children is not only acceptable but almost ordained. I do believe that attention has brought them here from child number 13 or so, but my question would be how did they get from the fourth or so to the 10th or 12th. I almost wonder if there was a desire for more male children on their behalf - In the first six children there were two boys and four girls. Just a theory I guess.

Taking her involvement or lack thereof out of the equation, she gets wrapped up in the whole new baby, I'm a mommy thing. Her word choice about the children is interesting too, as she refers to them at times like gifts to her husband - a rather old fashioned view but whatever it takes.

He seems proud of his ability to provide for his wife and children through his commercial property investments and his debt free existence.

At this point their lifestyle seems dependant upon TLC and the free items they get for being on television. I doubt we will see them stop for so long as they continue to get monetary compensation for that.

overedge
08-15-2010, 07:13 PM
He seems proud of his ability to provide for his wife and children through his commercial property investments and his debt free existence.

At this point their lifestyle seems dependant upon TLC and the free items they get for being on television. I doubt we will see them stop for so long as they continue to get monetary compensation for that.

I'm sure it was a lot easier at one point to support their family, when there were fewer kids, through the investments. I wouldn't be at all surprised if their major source of income now is the TV show and the associated products (DVDs, books, etc.)

And then there's the eternal debate over how much tax $$$ do they pay for (allegedly) listing their very large house and acreage as a home church, and (allegedly) getting big tax exemptions for that.

skatemommy
08-16-2010, 01:13 AM
She lost her 1st pregnancy she claims due to the fact she was on birth control pills. She refuses to use birth control (although at this point I agree that condoms might not be a bad thing) because of the trauma. I can't say I blame her but can remotely understand her rationale. That said, Michelle is in control; not Jim-Bob.

ArtisticFan
08-16-2010, 01:15 AM
Yes, I have doubts of how much they earn vs. receive, etc. I just mean that Jim Bob seems to be one who would take credit for it no matter how the money came in. He's very Alpha Male in that respect - providing for the family whether it is through a commercial rental, a cell phone tower, the newest book, or a contract with TLC.

agalisgv
08-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Providing for one's family is "very Alpha Male"? I thought it was just plain ol' responsible.

WindSpirit
08-16-2010, 02:54 AM
She was on birth control? Isn't she like super religious? Or was she "born again"?

Anyway, wanting to have a big family is one thing. But already thinking about popping out yet another kid while you have 19 at home, including one premature baby that you just gave birth to is starting to look like mental illness.

What about taking time to actually bond with your baby or any of the children that you already have? It's not even like it's about having children for her, it's more about the process of being pregnant and giving birth to yet another number. And right after she's done, she yells, Next!

ArtisticFan
08-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Providing for one's family is "very Alpha Male"? I thought it was just plain ol' responsible.

It is responsible, but the way he talks about it he acts like he is the only one who can do it. Early in their marriage they both worked (though her under him), but I would think that he would never allow her to be the bread winner of the family. There is just something very anti-women about him in that he speaks of career options for his sons and talks of his daughters getting married and raising children.

You can see it to a certain extent with the oldest son and his wife. He owns that used car lot. She brings their baby there and "helps out" all day. He rarely refers to it as her working or helping to provide for their life. She's just helping him. The reverse is true too. She refers to him caring for their child as babysitting.

I believe she was on birth control at one point and ended up having a miscarriage - between Josh and the twins John-David and Jana. She has spoken at church events and on the show that she blames herself for that miscarriage because she was not trusting God's plans.

BigB08822
08-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Early in their marriage they both worked (though her under him),

I think her being under him is the reason she has 19 children. :lol: Couldn't resist!

ArtisticFan
08-16-2010, 03:21 AM
I think her being under him is the reason she has 19 children. :lol: Couldn't resist!

Well I guess I could come back with - they worked in various positions.

nerdycool
08-16-2010, 02:59 PM
She was on birth control? Isn't she like super religious? Or was she "born again"? They didn't start out super religious like they are now. He was considerably more conservative and religious than she was when they met (from what I've read about her, she was just a normal adventurous teenage girl who roller skated, worked a part time job and was a cheerleader). Once they met, she pretty much submitted to his will. I will give them this though... once they married, they wait about 4 years to have their first baby, and she went on BC right after Josh. When the M/C happened, that's when the uberness kicked in.

taf2002
08-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Tell me all 19 aren't named something starting with a J? Ewwww!