PDA

View Full Version : 19 Kids and Counting - 5th season

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

skatesindreams
08-04-2010, 08:49 PM
It doesn't surprise me.
Jim Bob taking on those responsibilities wouldn't fit the gender roles they seem to believe in - and follow.

DickButtonFan
08-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Mrs. Duggar is always so positive, that's something I do like about her, I have no idea how she does that.

Hannahclear
08-04-2010, 09:01 PM
I wonder, does she breastfeed? Just curious.....

DianeO
08-05-2010, 12:02 AM
I don't know what's so strange about that. It's common in loads of cultures, it was common for centuries here and at your place across the pond.

I think what I don't like about it is that she tries to come off as this wonderful mother of 19 (or is touted as such by the media), the woman who does it all and can manage that big brood, etc. when in reality she is only the mother till the child is like a year old and then they get passed off to an "older buddy" so Michelle can take care of the next baby. Those older Duggar girls run that household. I often wonder what the family would be like if the older girls had been boys (given their very traditional gender roles in the family). I wonder if that would have influenced their decision to have more kids lol.

ArtisticFan
08-05-2010, 12:32 AM
I wonder, does she breastfeed? Just curious.....

For the most part she has nursed her children at least until about the six month mark. Early documentaries/reality specials of the show have discussed their buddy system. She cares for the youngest child so long as she nurses. Then the child/baby becomes more of the responsibility of an older sister who essentially becomes a teen mother.

Many scenes of the show have shown her nursing with a large drape over her as she goes about her her daily life. Such scenes have included her with her family in a Christmas parade, at a film festival, and visiting an elementary school. There have even been some parodies on the topic, as typically you see her with the drape (that has a print inlcuding the word mom) and the baby resting on a pillow called MyBrest friend, but all you really see are the babies feet dangling out.

For Josie she was pumping milk and freezing it. However, the lactose intolerance issues have put an end to that.

ArtisticFan
08-05-2010, 12:35 AM
I think what I don't like about it is that she tries to come off as this wonderful mother of 19 (or is touted as such by the media), the woman who does it all and can manage that big brood, etc. when in reality she is only the mother till the child is like a year old and then they get passed off to an "older buddy" so Michelle can take care of the next baby. Those older Duggar girls run that household. I often wonder what the family would be like if the older girls had been boys (given their very traditional gender roles in the family). I wonder if that would have influenced their decision to have more kids lol.

I agree with you. My mother is the largest of a large number of children. I can see the stress that had put on her and she wasn't expected to do half as much as these Duggar girls. The unfortunate thing is they stand very little chance of escape. They aren't given the opportunities of education and career so their way out is marriage. Then they will get to parent their own children.

nubka
08-05-2010, 12:52 AM
I used to watch re-runs of this show quite a lot on TLC, but after they drug the cameras into the hospital to film that helpless little baby hooked up to all those machines, it just totally turned me off. Is nothing private in this family? I can't watch it any longer. :( :(

Gil-Galad
08-05-2010, 12:58 AM
I used to watch re-runs of this show quite a lot on TLC, but after they drug the cameras into the hospital to film that helpless little baby hooked up to all those machines, it just totally turned me off. Is nothing private in this family? I can't watch it any longer. :( :(
That is certainly something I don't get. Why would anyone want to have their family life portrayed like that on TV?

PrincessLeppard
08-05-2010, 01:17 AM
:bribe:

skatesindreams
08-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Especially with the extra expenses associated with Josie's care; which will be ongoing.

JasperBoy
08-05-2010, 09:24 PM
I have seen the program with all the children, plus cameras, viewing Josie in the incubator. What struck me was the silence. Since this is a fundamentalist Christian family, I somehow expected there would be a call for prayer for the baby. Heck, I have no faith and I felt that the baby needed a prayer for its survival.

It isn't that they have a problem with prayer on TV, we have seen that before. I wonder if Jim Bob's faith was shaken by this event. If so, one of the older children could have said something. It just seemed out of character at such a difficult time.

I do hope that there will be no more babies for Michelle. She had such a close call this time, surely getting pregnant again would be irresponsible. What if she died and left all those children motherless? How could that be god's will? IMHO, it is time to put aside reproduction and focus on parenting the children they have.

Hannahclear
08-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Well it does make sense from an efficiency, division of labor perspective. Can't fault her for it. I just feel bad for the older girls, because they don't get much of a say, do they?

WRT another baby......well it's her body, so whatever, but I think she's a fool to let it happen. Her kids do need her.

Prancer
08-06-2010, 02:10 AM
I have seen the program with all the children, plus cameras, viewing Josie in the incubator. What struck me was the silence. Since this is a fundamentalist Christian family, I somehow expected there would be a call for prayer for the baby. Heck, I have no faith and I felt that the baby needed a prayer for its survival.

It isn't that they have a problem with prayer on TV, we have seen that before. I wonder if Jim Bob's faith was shaken by this event. If so, one of the older children could have said something. It just seemed out of character at such a difficult time.

I believe you are supposed to be quiet around premies.

Octoberopals
08-09-2010, 11:20 PM
What is the 6th season going to be called? "Life after My Uterus Fell Out"?

Uck.....I guess that would tend to put an end to the endless 'bundles of love' that keep arriving.:watch:

Coco
08-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Meanwhile, Michelle gets pregnant at the drop of a.....hat; if God had another plan, you'd think He would seal that path off, but apparently He hasn't.

You wanted to say pants, admit it! :)

Surely you are being sarcastic. It's not God's will for anyone to do anything they might be physically capable of.