PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Swimming trials

Pages : [1] 2 3

CaptCrunch
08-03-2010, 12:22 AM
They begin tomorrow and run thru Saturday. More than 30 Olympians from Beijing will take part. The top 3 in each event will qualify for Pan Pacs at the same pool in Irvine, CA 3 weeks from now.

Unbelievably this year's Summer Nationals as well as Pan Pacs will determine the team for the next world championship which will be held July 24-31 next year in Shanghai, China. How crazy is that? The team will be determined one year before the actual meet takes place!! :eek::eek:

Ryan Lochte is suffering from a groin injury and it looks like we won't swim either IM at Nationals but....he could still swim the IM's at Pan Pacs as long as he makes the team for Pan Pacs. If he doesn't swim the IM at either event then no worlds for him in 2011 in the IM's and he's the defending world champion in both events. Why USA Swimming isn't having a separate trials for 2011 worlds I have no idea?

Again, the top 3 at Nationals in each event qualify for Pan Pacs. At Pan Pacs a country can have up to 4 people in qualifying for a single event but only 2 can swim the final. I believe the 2 fastest times from Nationals and Pan Pacs will determine who makes the world team for Shanghai.

The list of swimmers expected at Nationals is a good one: Phelps, Lochte, Peirsol, Lezak, Cullen Jones, Nathan Adrian, Eric Shanteau, Peter VandeKaay, Matt Grevers, Natalie Coughlin, Elizabeth Beisel, Margaret Hoelzer, Dana Vollmer, Katie Hoff, Kate Ziegler, Kara Lynn Joyce, Alison Schmitt, Christine Magnussen, Elaine Breeden, Ariana Kukors, etc.

I noticed that Brendan Hansen is not on the psyche sheet. Has he officially retired now or no?

NBC will have taped coverage this weekend. Universal Sports will have live coverage at 9pm PDT starting tomorrow night. Swimnetwork.com will have a live webcast.

Should be a great meet.

Braulio
08-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Cool and next week we have European swimming championships

What about Rebecca Soni? or Ricky Bear-ends???

:D

OlieRow
08-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Is there any way athletes like Lochte can petition to the Worlds team next year if they're injured now?

CaptCrunch
08-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Cool and next week we have European swimming championships

What about Rebecca Soni? or Ricky Bear-ends???

:D

Soni and Berens will both compete in Irvine. Sorry, forgot to mention them. Dave Walters too.

CaptCrunch
08-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Is there any way athletes like Lochte can petition to the Worlds team next year if they're injured now?

No, I don't believe so. US Swimming has always taken the hard stance that if you don't compete at the trials then you don't go to the big dance. Lochte should qualify, at least, for the 4X200 freestyle relay so that should give him a chance to swim the IM's at Pan Pacs if he can't do it at Nationals.

HisWeirness
08-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Here is the TV schedule for the US Swimming National Championships (Irvine, California):

UNIVERSAL SPORTS
TUESDAY, AUGUST 3
9 p.m. – 11:30 p.m. LIVE

WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 4
9 p.m. – 11 p.m. LIVE

NBC
SATURDAY, AUGUST 7
4 p.m. – 6 p.m. Taped, HD
Commentators: Dan Hicks, Rowdy Gaines, Alex Flanagan

The Pan Pacs (Irvine, California) TV schedule is also out:

UNIVERSAL SPORTS
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 18
9 p.m. – 11:30 p.m. LIVE

NBC
SATURDAY, AUGUST 21
2 p.m. – 4 p.m. Taped, HD
Commentators: Ted Robinson, Rowdy Gaines, Alex Flanagan

SUNDAY, AUGUST 22
3 p.m. – 4 p.m. Taped, HD
Commentators: Ted Robinson, Rowdy Gaines, Alex Flanagan

(all times above are Eastern)

CaptCrunch
08-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Well Lochte did swim the 400 IM today in prelims so that's good news. He went 4:16 and qualified 2nd behind Tyler Clary his teammate last year at worlds in the 400 IM. Those 2 plus another swimmer should be the top 3 who qualify to go to Pan Pacs.

Tonight's finals begin in a little less than an hour.

bek
08-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Its ridiculous that these trials determine worlds placements. I'm sorry but a lot can happen in a year.

AYS
08-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Amanda Beard is swimming again. :eek: I just noticed she qualified for tonight's A-final in the 100 breast. Not that she can get remotely near Soni or Hardy anymore.

CaptCrunch
08-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Well actually she did just beat Hardy last night in the 100 breaststroke! Beard was 6th and Hardy was a disappointing 7th! :( Then Hardy was disappointing again in the 50 free finishing 4th and missing the team in that event as well. :( If Hardy doesn't have a good 100 free she'll miss the team for Pan Pacs altogether. Matt Grevers is another olympian who seems to be struggling this week. Missed the team in both the 100 back and 50 free. Still has the 100 free to make the team though.

Should be a great match-up tonight between Phelps and Lochte in the 200 IM. Has Lochte ever won a race against Phelps? I want to say no. Interesting that Lochte decided to skip the 100 back. With all the depth the US has in that event I wonder if he's decided to stop training it? Wonder if Lochte will swim the 100 free here? I hope so.

Nathan Adrian looked great in winning the 50 free. Should win the 100 easily I would think. Wonder how 34 year old Jason Lezak will do in the 100 free?

AYS
08-06-2010, 02:08 PM
I couldn't believe the way Hardy faded in that 100breast. She was a lot faster in the morning swims for both her events.

Lochte is listed for the 100free in the heat sheets.

IIRC, there was at least one time Lochte beat Phelps, when Michael was just coming back with from a broken wrist a couple years or so ago. :shuffle:

CaptCrunch
08-07-2010, 01:40 PM
So Ryan Lochte was up to the task and finally beat Michael Phelps in the 200 IM last night. Great race and win for Lochte. Wonder if this result will repeat itself in 2 weeks at Pan Pacs?

As expected Nathan Adrian won the 100 free with Ryan Lochte coming in 2nd. Now Lochte will swim in at least 4 individual events at Pan Pacs and all relays which I don't think he's done before. And Lochte still has the 200 back later today. Old man Jason Lezak (34) tied for 3rd with Garrett Weber-Gale and both will be on the relay for Pan Pacs. Last year's winner Dave Walters was 5th and 3-time medalist from Beijing Matt Grevers was 7th and unbelievably he failed to make the team for Pan Pacs in any one of his events! :eek: Didn't expect that to happen.

Kathleen Hersey looked really good in winning the 200 butterfly. 2nd fastest time in the world this year. Mary Mohler (aka Mary Dezsenza) was 3rd.

Elizabeth Beisel won the 200 backstroke. Last year's world team qualifier, 16 year old Elizabeth Pelton, finished 4th and missed the team for Pan Pacs. Big disappointment for her.

NBC will have coverage today from 4-6pm EDT. Tomorrow, I believe, their coverage is from 430-6pm EDT.

AragornElessar
08-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Didn't realize that US Swimming Nats were this week. That's what I get for not looking at the Other Sports board instead of only going straight to the threads here I've subscribed to. Anyhoo...

Just saw the 200 Free on NBC's coverage. What a fantastic race that was. Close and right to the wall...Wow!!

So the results here and at Pan Pacs decide the US Worlds Team for next year's Worlds!?! Is USA Swimming insane!?! An awful lot can happen in a year and...That just boggles my mind!!

I didn't realize Pan Pacs were this year. Sigh...Boy, do my Canadian Swimmers have a packed summer. Pan Pacs *and* The Commonwealth Games. Sure, the CG's aren't until October in New Delhi, but Pan Pacs could be used as a final decider on who makes that Team going to New Delhi too.

Sorry for the thread hijacking...Off to watch what's going on the TV right now. :)

AYS
08-07-2010, 10:30 PM
So Ryan Lochte was up to the task and finally beat Michael Phelps in the 200 IM last night. Great race and win for Lochte. Wonder if this result will repeat itself in 2 weeks at Pan Pacs?

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that it won't be repeated at Pan Pacs. Michael with a little motivation is a dangerous thing, and it was only by 0.1 sec. Also, he didn't have his usual pop coming home in the free leg.

A little shout-out for local girl Teresa Crippen for her second in the 200fly and making the team. :respec:

judgejudy27
08-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Personally I think the great Phelps is gradually just passing his prime and you will see him lose alot more races in the next 2 years. He will still win medals and probably some golds in London but it wont be Beijing repeated that is for sure IMHO.