PDA

View Full Version : Is North America Ready for a $55,000 Hyundai?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rex
08-02-2010, 08:25 PM
It will be in dealerships this month. Personally, I have been impressed with what they have been offering the past couple of years, but this is a little too much. Of course, it's out of my price range anyway, but I know some of you could afford a car like this. The question is, would you?

Hyundai Equus Review (http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1007_2011_hyundai_equus_drive/index.html).

Discuss.

orbitz
08-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Never. A car for me is simply a way to get from point A to point B. I currently drive a Honda Civic. My next car will be a Honda Fit. Yeah, I'm kind of cheap :), but I honestly don't get the thrill of owning an expensive car.

deltask8er
08-02-2010, 09:03 PM
CBS Sunday Morning had a report on Hyundai's success this year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6253092n

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/28/sunday/main6252476.shtml

Krafcik gave Teichner a sneak peek at the Equus. "This is our new flagship," he said.

The super-luxurious Equus, due out sometime this fall, is intended to be the next chapter in Hyundai's success story.

"This will go against BMW, Lexus, cars that typically cost $60,000-100,000."

"Yours will not cost that much?

"We stand for something different," Krafcik said.

attyfan
08-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Never. A car for me is simply a way to get from point A to point B. I currently drive a Honda Civic. My next car will be a Honda Fit. Yeah, I'm kind of cheap :), but I honestly don't get the thrill of owning an expensive car.

ITA! There are just so many other things that I would rather spend my money on. My husband drives a Toyota Prius; I drive the 1999 Avalon that I inherited from my mother.

Anita18
08-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Fits are usually less expensive than Civics, but everyone I know who has a Fit said I made the better choice going with the Civic instead. (And I think Fits are really cute! So many cupholders! :lol: ) I think the driving experience is better with a Civic. In the end it didn't matter to me since I got a great deal with my Civic and it ended up about the same price as a Fit. :lol:

KikiSashaFan
08-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Every person I know who has or had a Hyundai has nothing but bad things to say, so I've always been a little nervous about them.

I'm with the majority about function/cost. I drive a Toyota Echo that I got for my HS graduation and I love it. Great gas mileage, reliable, cute and it does the job. It's now 6 years old with 130k kms on it and I plan on driving it for a good long time. We recently bought a Chevy Silverado, but when we're not using it for a purpose, the Echo is all we use.

silverstars
08-03-2010, 01:20 AM
People generally buy Mercedes, BMWs, and the like because they're status symbols--they're pretty, fast, and everyone knows their big pricetag. Hyundai just doesn't say anything that people will want to put down $55,000 for.

I personally love my Civic, but if I had $55,000 to blow on a car, it wouldn't be a Hyundai.

Rex
08-03-2010, 03:52 AM
No one expected the Genesis to be successful, but it is, but I too am a little :wideeyes: over a 50K+ Hyundai.

cygnus
08-03-2010, 04:19 AM
Every person I know who has or had a Hyundai has nothing but bad things to say, so I've always been a little nervous about them.

I'm with the majority about function/cost. I drive a Toyota Echo that I got for my HS graduation and I love it. Great gas mileage, reliable, cute and it does the job. It's now 6 years old with 130k kms on it and I plan on driving it for a good long time. We recently bought a Chevy Silverado, but when we're not using it for a purpose, the Echo is all we use.

We've had 3 Hyundais in a row, (Elantra, Elantra wagon and now Sonata) and no problems at all. They are very good value for the money. And we get good service at the dealership.

But I wouldn't spend 55k on ANY car

my little pony
08-03-2010, 04:34 AM
I'm more intrigued with the decision to name the car after a play about a guy who wants to bang horses.

myhoneyhoney
08-03-2010, 05:55 AM
Heck no! I'm like Orbitz, a car is something you jump in to get from a to b. I want it to be comfortable and reliable but higher price doesn't always mean that. Then again, my hubby and I believe in paying for our cars in cash, absolutely no financing, so that price tag is out of our price range, that's for sure!

michiruwater
08-03-2010, 06:01 AM
I'm more intrigued with the decision to name the car after a play about a guy who wants to bang horses.

I am so glad I am not the only person who thought this first.

IceAlisa
08-03-2010, 06:37 AM

I am so glad I am not the only person who thought this first.

Me three.

Rex
08-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Me three.

Hyundai, always horsing around.
Whoever names their cars can't be very stable. da-BING!

NeilJLeonard
08-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Had a Hyundai once. Loved the design, but it was junk at 50K miles. I've heard the newer models are much, much better but I'd hesitate to buy one. As for buying a $55K Hyundai? Never. A Bimmer 1 Class or 3 Class or a Cadillac CTS would be more desirable in that price range.

NJL (..and, since I consider a car to be more than a transportation module, a much less expensive Mini Cooper S or a Fiat 500 Abarth would be even better...;)...)