PDA

View Full Version : Is North America Ready for a $55,000 Hyundai?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

love skating
08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
We have three Hyundais - Sonata, Entourage (minivan which I believe they don't make any more) and a Genesis. We love them all and really haven't had a problem with them.

Rex
08-03-2010, 07:02 PM
I lurve the new Sonata - it's totally gorgeous, even if it doesn't have a V-6. The Azera and Genesis are handsome, if unoriginal-looking. Ditto their Sante Fe and Veracruz. The Elantra and Tuscon are fug, however. The Equus looks expensive, but kind of dated.

Andora
08-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Come on now, the new Elantras aren't so bad. The colours suck, though. I have a dark grey one because it was the only shade that wasn't somehow too bright or lacklustre. And it hides dust well. ;)

I paid well under $20,000 after fees and taxes for my 2010 Elantra, and wonder if I over-paid sometimes. :P I can't imagine paying $55,000 for a car that didn't come with some big, big perks, like the self-parking Lexus or some seriously tricked out entertainment system on board. But I'm new to car ownership, so I'm the wrong one to ask.

Rex
08-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Come on now, the new Elantras aren't so bad. The colours suck, though. I have a dark grey one because it was the only shade that wasn't somehow too bright or lacklustre. And it hides dust well. ;)

I paid well under $20,000 after fees and taxes for my 2010 Elantra, and wonder if I over-paid sometimes. :P I can't imagine paying $55,000 for a car that didn't come with some big, big perks, like the self-parking Lexus or some seriously (and useless) tricked out entertainment system on board. But I'm new to car ownership, so I'm the wrong one to ask.The interior color choices, as with most cars, seem limited to black, grey and beige.

I think the article says that Equus has most of those big, big perks.

IceAlisa
08-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Images from Equus the play flash through my (perverted) mind. :slinkaway

Andora
08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
The interior color choices, as with most cars, seem limited to black, grey and beige.

Initially, I would have said the interior colour wasn't nearly as important. The week before we got the car, I cleaned the inside of my mother's light beige Impala to help her out. I'm very happy with the black/grey interior after that experience.

If I had that kind of money to spend on a car, I'd like to think the brand wouldn't matter past it being reliable and such. Who knows, though? I laughed when someone at Hyundai head office mentioned branching out into racing, but I also laughed at the idea of owning one 4-5 years ago.

Now I understand why Daniel Radcliff came to mind when I saw the name.

Rex
08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Initially, I would have said the interior colour wasn't nearly as important. The week before we got the car, I cleaned the inside of my mother's light beige Impala to help her out. I'm very happy with the black/grey interior after that experience.

If I had that kind of money to spend on a car, I'd like to think the brand wouldn't matter past it being reliable and such. Who knows, though? I laughed when someone at Hyundai head office mentioned branching out into racing, but I also laughed at the idea of owning one 4-5 years ago. Totally. If I were gonna buy a car, I would definitely have a Hyundai on my list. Their JD Power Initial Quality rankings are right up there with the Japanese. And above most of the domestic brands.

Now I understand why Daniel Radcliff came to mind when I saw the name.

The idea of Daniel in the back seat of a Hyundai........:rofl:.

SaSherka
08-13-2010, 07:20 PM
We just got the 4th Hyundai in the family (had Elantra, Accent (and it's Euro predecessor way back then), and now Sonata) and I do believe that the quality is getting much better with the newer models.
So, yes, sure, if I had an extra 55K, I'd consider the purchase. =)

FunnyBut
08-14-2010, 01:31 PM
I think when you get to 50+K, it's mostly a prestige purchase. I'm sure Hyundai will build a solid , luxurious car and from a value standpoint it will look like a bargain. The big question is will those with 50K to spend want to be seen behind the wheel of a Hyundai, which is definitely thought of as a 'budget buy'.

Lexus and Infiniti tried the same thing in the early 90s, and they were wildly successful. But I think they brought much more to the table relative to their contemporaries than Hyundai is bringing at present. (The original Lexus and Infiniti sedans were truely groundbreaking, while this Hyundai will just be at most 'on par' with what the competitors offer, but at a signficantly cheaper price). What I mean is that the early 1990s Lexus/Infiniti were more desirable in many ways than their German counterparts at ANY price, and that's what created the prestige.

Lexus/Infiniti also established a separate brand identity from the parents Toyota and Nissan, and I think that quickly established them as prestige marques. That's harder to do when you only have one brand, and someone who paid only 15K for their Hyundai Accent wears the same brand as your 55K Equus, and both of you will be servicing your car at the same dealership sans red carpet, biscotti and croissant :drama:

Rex
08-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Hyundai had thought about creating a premium brand, but didn't want to invest the money to do so in this shaky economy.

But I think that you summed it up perfectly, FunnyBut. The Genesis and Equus are hardly innovative, but what they give you at that price point is amazing.

Rex
03-16-2011, 03:55 PM
BUMP.
So far, it's been receiving mixed reviews. Most of the major auto magazines have this "yes, but it doesn't...." attitude towards it. And it recently finished dead last in a Motor Trend luxury car comparo (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1103_entry_level_fullsize_luxury_sedan_comparison/index.html). And it starts at 58K! :eek:. And what is the point of the reclining rear seat with the footrest if you have to be less than 5'5" to use it?

I had forgotten that VW tried the same approach with their Phaeton, but failed miserably. Of course, that started at 75K.

But I would not count them out yet - most likely they will examine the car's shortcomings and later versions will be as close to perfect as perfect can get....

agalisgv
03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
And what is the point of the reclining rear seat with the footrest if you have to be less than 5'5" to use it? Works for me :shuffle:

I think that would be especially nice for kids on long trips. Course it would work for everyone in my family though :slinkaway

Hyundai didn't do so bad in certain categories:

PERFORMANCE*
1. Porsche 77
2. Audi 75
3. Jaguar 69
4. BMW 66
5. Lexus 59
6. Hyundai 56
7. Mercedes-Benz 48
*Compilation of acceleration/braking/handling performance

LEASE RESIDUAL VALUE/MONTHLY PAYMENT*
1. Lexus 52%/$1557
2. Jaguar 52%/$1649
3. Hyundai 51%/$1172
4. BMW 48%/$1719
5. Audi 45%/$1904
6. Porsche 44%/$1976
7. Mercedes-Benz 40%/$2016
*ALG 36-month, 10%, $0-down lease

JDPOWER QUALITY: IQS VDS*
1. Porsche 83 110
2. Lexus 88 115
3. Mercedes-Benz 87 142
4. Hyundai 102 148
5. BMW 113 165
6. Audi 111 182
7. Jaguar 130 175
*Problems per 100 vehicles across entire brand: Initial Quality Survey (90 days) and Vehicle Dependability Survey (3 years). Underscore indicates industry average (109/155)

COMFORT
1. Lexus
2. Mercedes
3. Hyundai
4. Audi
5. Jag
6. BMW
7. Porsche

TECH-GEEK GADGETRY
1. Audi (LED headlights, Drive Select, handwriting input)
2. Hyundai (Lane-Departure, radar cruise control)
3. Porsche (highly customizable cockpit displays, PDK, auto-stop)
4. BMW (active anti-roll bars, iDrive customizability)
5. Mercedes (Hybrid drive, auto-stop)
6. Lexus (self-parking feature)
7. Jaguar

SOUND SYSTEM QUALITY
1. Lexus Mark Levinson
2. Jaguar Bowers & Wilkins
3. Hyundai Lexicon
4. BMW base (unbranded)
5. Porsche Bose Surround
6. Audi base (Bose)
7. Mercedes-Benz base (harman/kardon)

LABEL SNOBBERY
1. Porsche
2. Mercedes-Benz
3. BMW
4. Jag
5. Audi
6. Lexus
7. Hyundai

ks777
03-16-2011, 06:13 PM
I would never buy a $55k Hyundai. If I had that much money, I would buy a BMW or Mercedez or Lexus. But I am more of a truck kinda guy. so I would get this http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/gallery/photos/

Rex
03-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Works for me :shuffle:

I think that would be especially nice for kids on long trips. Course it would work for everyone in my family though :slinkaway

Hyundai didn't do so bad in certain categories:

Yeah, they did well - as an overall brand. Their other cars meet or exceed benchmarks in the industry in terms of quality, economy and value. But this particular car, built to undercut the Lexus LS and BMW 7 Series, is more of a three-baser than a home run.

deltask8er
04-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Not specifically about the Equus, but...

Hyundai Motor Co. said Wednesday it will guarantee the trade-in price of new cars sold in the U.S. starting May 1.

Analysts said it's the first time an auto company has made such a guarantee. While the program probably won't cost Hyundai much, it will likely increase the number of return customers to the brand, since buyers can only apply the trade-in value to a new Hyundai.

The company will guarantee the value of a car that's traded in after two, three or four years.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=628&sid=2353216