PDA

View Full Version : downloading photos onto facebook

Pages : [1] 2

judiz
08-02-2010, 04:25 AM
Normally I scan my photos onto the computer to put on Facebook but now I want to download the photos from my camera directly to Facebook. Does anyone know how to do this?

Anita18
08-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Normally I scan my photos onto the computer to put on Facebook but now I want to download the photos from my camera directly to Facebook. Does anyone know how to do this?
Facebook has a photo uploader like any other photo website. Once you hook your camera up to your computer, you have to find where it is listed on your computer (it's usually given a new drive letter) and then choose that drive when Facebook asks you where to upload your photos from.

judiz
08-02-2010, 11:22 AM
So I sign onto Facebook first and then plug my camera into the computer?

Anita18
08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
So I sign onto Facebook first and then plug my camera into the computer?
Doesn't matter. Your computer will treat it as another drive.

It's actually also just like uploading the photos onto the computer, except now Facebook is the destination instead of your hard drive.

judiz
08-03-2010, 03:33 AM
I think I give up, photos downloaded on computer as media and facebook won't recognize them. Got them moved to another folder under jpg but facebook still won't download them. Can't figure out how to delete them from computer so I can start over. Guess I'll just have to print them out and scan them onto the computer in order to get them onto facebook.

cruisin
08-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Judiz, what kind of computer do you have? I have a Mac. As soon as I plug my card reader or camera into my computer it opens iPhoto to up load them. What I do is select the photos I want and drag them to my desk top, then use the quick up load in my facebook page.

Anita18
08-03-2010, 04:14 AM
I think I give up, photos downloaded on computer as media and facebook won't recognize them. Got them moved to another folder under jpg but facebook still won't download them. Can't figure out how to delete them from computer so I can start over. Guess I'll just have to print them out and scan them onto the computer in order to get them onto facebook.
Huh, that's really weird. Are you sure they're .jpgs?

I tend to ignore all the fancy photo downloading software and just use plain ol' drag and drop in Windows Explorer. That way I can actually see what I'm doing and where I'm putting things.

It's hard to tell what could be the issue. If you can, you could take screenshots (on Windows, the "Print Screen" key up on the right will take an image of your entire computer screen and you can paste it in Paint or something) and post them so we can see exactly what the issue is?

cruisin
08-03-2010, 04:24 AM
Huh, that's really weird. Are you sure they're .jpgs?

I tend to ignore all the fancy photo downloading software and just use plain ol' drag and drop in Windows Explorer. That way I can actually see what I'm doing and where I'm putting things.

It's hard to tell what could be the issue. If you can, you could take screenshots (on Windows, the "Print Screen" key up on the right will take an image of your entire computer screen and you can paste it in Paint or something) and post them so we can see exactly what the issue is?

This may be a dumb question, but what else besides JPGs would they be? And if they're not, can't you convert them in the computer?

Anita18
08-03-2010, 05:54 AM
This may be a dumb question, but what else besides JPGs would they be? And if they're not, can't you convert them in the computer?
That's what I thought! :lol: There are camera RAW files, but I've never seen them for consumer-grade cameras.

It just seems weird that judiz is completely unable to upload the photos onto Facebook's server, or even to delete the photos from her computer? It's all very unclear.

cruisin
08-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Judiz should tell us what kind of computer she has, then someone who knows that computer might be able to help her. Or she could call the manufacturer. If she is loading them to a 2nd party software application, she can contact that software maker.

Climbing on my Apple soap box, but that is just one more thing that makes Macs so easy. Plug the camera or card reader into the USB port, iPhoto opens itself and it downloads. First it asks you if you want to re-download duplicates, you click no and it does everything. I also have full versions of Photoshop and Illustrator, so it's much easier for me to size down from the enormous files cameras input.

NancyNC
08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Climbing on my Apple soap box, but that is just one more thing that makes Macs so easy. Plug the camera or card reader into the USB port, iPhoto opens itself and it downloads. First it asks you if you want to re-download duplicates, you click no and it does everything. I also have full versions of Photoshop and Illustrator, so it's much easier for me to size down from the enormous files cameras input.

I guess I'll climb on my Sony Vaio soapbox since I can do the same thing with that computer. ;)

skatemommy
08-03-2010, 05:48 PM
My old camera would allow me to upload directly from it to Ebay, FB, etc.; but my new Canon gives an error message. I've spent way to much time trying to figure it out so I upload to the hard drive, then to Ebay. I have a memory stick reader but I have to crawl on the floor to access the USB port on my home computer so it's easier to keep the camera on my desk.

Anita18
08-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Judiz should tell us what kind of computer she has, then someone who knows that computer might be able to help her. Or she could call the manufacturer. If she is loading them to a 2nd party software application, she can contact that software maker.

Yeah I think that's the easiest way to go.

That's what I do with my PC too. :P I plug it in, the computer asks what I want to do with it and I say, "Open in Windows Explorer." The thing is, I read the manual for my camera and that's how I have it set up.

And you know, there are full versions of Photoshop and Illustrator for Windows too. ;)

As a somewhat techie person, I like my PC because I know how to control it. Every program I have is organized by type on my Start menu. :o I know exactly where everything is. My programmer bf has no clue how to find things on his Mac or where stuff is, he just searches for it. :lol: If he doesn't know the file name, he usually spends like, 5 minutes trying to find it. :lol:

And I HATE how if you don't do anything, the default iTunes mode is to sync every song and video you have on your computer. Ugh. Needless to say I put a stop to that and do everything manually.

It's all about the kind of personality you have. I like having that sort of control and personalization. Although my bf might sell me his older Mac laptop just so I can have the nice monitor display. :lol: And then I'll try to hack it so I can organize my programs by type on the desktop. :rofl:

judiz
08-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Good news!! I decided to try to download the photos using my laptop instead of my son's desktop and they went through. No idea how I did it, lol, but the photos are now on my Facebook page.

Thanks to all who made suggestions.

cruisin
08-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I guess I'll climb on my Sony Vaio soapbox since I can do the same thing with that computer. ;)

You have iPhoto on your Vaio? :D

Yeah I think that's the easiest way to go.

That's what I do with my PC too. :P I plug it in, the computer asks what I want to do with it and I say, "Open in Windows Explorer." The thing is, I read the manual for my camera and that's how I have it set up.

And you know, there are full versions of Photoshop and Illustrator for Windows too. ;)

Yes, I know. But Mac still does graphics better :D and in less space.

As a somewhat techie person, I like my PC because I know how to control it. Every program I have is organized by type on my Start menu. :o I know exactly where everything is. My programmer bf has no clue how to find things on his Mac or where stuff is, he just searches for it. :lol: If he doesn't know the file name, he usually spends like, 5 minutes trying to find it. :lol:

And I HATE how if you don't do anything, the default iTunes mode is to sync every song and video you have on your computer. Ugh. Needless to say I put a stop to that and do everything manually.

I have never experienced any of the above problems

It's all about the kind of personality you have. I like having that sort of control and personalization. Although my bf might sell me his older Mac laptop just so I can have the nice monitor display. :lol: And then I'll try to hack it so I can organize my programs by type on the desktop. :rofl:

If his computer is OS10.4 or higher you can install the Windows operating system on it. But you can put your programs in the dock and launch whatever you want from your Apple desktop.

It really is about what you are using a computer for. I do graphics, so Macs are the bet for me. the screen is good and graphics files take up less space in a Mac. And they're pretty :lol: