PDA

View Full Version : Older musical acts who consistently attract younger listeners

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Seerek
07-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Sure, most kids/tweens these days have Gaga, Katy, Bieber, Taylor, B.O.B., Drake, etc. on their iPod playlists, but there may been an oldie but goodie in there somewhere....

The Beatles?
Stevie Wonder?
Johnny Cash?
Mozart?

Which musical acts of yesteryear do you observe still attract new/younger listeners all the time?

paskatefan
07-31-2010, 03:24 PM
James Taylor & Carole King - their tour is excellent! (have seen JT many times individually, have lost count of how many times, LOL)

Bruce Springsteen

Beatles, definitely! Stones (loved the whole "British invasion")

Motown music

folk-rock - Simon & Garfunkel

Billy Joel

Bryan Adams

I would think (and hope) that the success of "Jersey Boys" has encouraged younger people to check out the original Four Seasonsr musical repertoire, too.

Love classical music, and it's heartening to see young families come to the Mann Music Center in Philly, PA for the summer series of classical concerts of the Philly Orchestra. Not every concert is packed, but last week's Tchiakovsky + fireworks was (I don't know how much of a draw the fireworks were, but it was a fun addition to the great music). Love Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, Bach, Copland, etc.

michiruwater
07-31-2010, 03:27 PM
Well, as a classical musician I could list all sorts of people beyond Mozart but my friends are hardly the norm :-P

Definitely The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Ozzy Osbourne, Journey, The Who, Michael Jackson (the older stuff, I don't know anyone who listens to his more modern stuff). Generally, if it's good music, a lot of kids my age still listen to it. Plus a lot of this stuff is in Guitar Hero and it opened up a world of music some people never bothered with.

The Beatles, though, are pretty ubiquitously popular amongst all my friends. Same with Journey.

PDilemma
07-31-2010, 03:45 PM
My 15 year old nephew is currently obsessed with the Beatles. Yesterday, he posted lyrics from "Taxman" as his Facebook status. My liberal political operative cousin then commented to explain tax structures and the economy to him. LOL.

He is also into Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd,The Grateful Dead, Santana, Paul Simon, and wide variety of other older stuff. I'm not sure he listens to anything new.

Satellitegirl
07-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Radiohead...U2...Depeche Mode...

LordCirque
07-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Among the gays, Cher

DynamicMutation
07-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Bon Jovi? :shuffle:

or maybe just the girls get into that...lol

pumba
07-31-2010, 05:23 PM
I know quite many people whose love for classic rock started with Queen. It's quite accessible for teenagers.

Angelskates
07-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Marvin Gaye :cheer2:

screech
07-31-2010, 05:37 PM
I'd also add ACDC to the list.

I think that Glee will help out with younger listeners being either introduced or re-learning about older acts.

michiruwater
07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
Bon Jovi? :shuffle:

or maybe just the girls get into that...lol

I would agree with Bon Jovi. Everytime the band plays Living On A Prayer the whole student section sings along.

canbelto
07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Radiohead
U2
I also find that while his music may be dated, people are still extremely attracted to the sexiness of Elvis's voice. That throbbing baritone still jolts, after all these years.

Jot the Dot Dot
07-31-2010, 08:14 PM
I know quite many people whose love for classic rock started with Queen. It's quite accessible for teenagers.

My 11 year old neice and 8 year old nephew are fans. Put on a Queen CD, and Izzy says with reverence: "That's Freddie. He's dead!" Put on the 1970 release by the Progressive band Yes, and she immediately starts singing along to "I've Seen All Good People".

briancoogaert
07-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Nirvana ?

talldrink
07-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Nirvana is an older musical act, lol? That's funny!