PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone question...

Buzz
07-31-2010, 12:39 PM
I just got a new phone maybe 3 months ago and it got water damaged on thursday and still does not work. I was wondering if I got a cheap phone from another company (I'm with Rogers) will I be able to simply switch sim cards and keep my info, number, voice messaging etc. I just want as much information as possible before I head back to the store today and try to get a new phone. I rrrreally need one especially for my job.

sk8guy
07-31-2010, 12:44 PM
I bet you could buy a Rogers pay as you go phone and switch out the sim card. Lot's of information at www.howardforums.com. You should find the answer there if you look. Go to the forums tab and scroll down to the Rogers forum.

Quintuple
08-01-2010, 08:21 AM
My phone fell into water once, and the screen was wrecked. I took it apart as much as I could, found some water pooling and dried it, put it back together, and it still didn't work. Then I took it apart again, somehow found an even crazier level to disassemble it, and found MORE water between the plastic screen and a sticky LCD. Dried that, put it back together, and it worked fine!

I dunno, did you try fixing it yourself yet?

Buzz
08-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Nope have not tried fixing it myself yet. I am affraid to take it apart myself. LOL But I did call Rogers and they are sending me a cheap crap phone for free in exchange for a one year extension on my contract. As long as it works I do not care what it looks like. LOL

made_in_canada
08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
A bowl of rice can do wonders for water damage too.

cruisin
08-01-2010, 08:02 PM
A bowl of rice can do wonders for water damage too.

Kitty litter works too. But sometimes if it really gets a dunking, there's nothing you can do. And it depends on what you drop it in. For instance, my daughter dropped one in a porta potty. Not gonna use that even if it it did work, just :scream: from it. :lol: I know that when my daughter dropped one in water another time it died. We took it to Verizon and they were not able to get and download her data. But Verizon does not use sim cards, and could not extract anything from the dead phone. With a sim card, you may be able to.

michiruwater
08-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I've also put my phone on the TV before, which emits a low level of heat all the time. Fixed my last phone right up :)

Aceon6
08-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Here's what we use at work. Get a large plastic bowl that has a lid with a tight seal. Put white rice in the bowl and put the phone on top of the rice (opened if a flip phone). Get a small container of Damp Rid and put that next to the phone. Snap the lid on and leave overnight.

This won't reset the moisture damage sensor in an expensive phone, but works more than 50% of the time to get the moisture out and get the phone working again.

Buzz
08-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone! It works again some five days afterwards! The phone just feels different when I press the buttons but it is working now! I am so happy but I am still going to hang on to that cheapie phone Rogers is sending me as a back up. LOL