PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner on skating & faith

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Wyliefan
07-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Came across this totally by accident while reading something else! Mods, I did a quick search to make sure it wasn't already up, but if it is here and I missed it, please delete.

http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Additional-Resources/Faith-and-Figure-Skating-Kimmie-Meissner.html

overedge
07-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for posting this. What an interesting interview, and what a sensible and balanced person she comes across as. It's refreshing to read an interview with an athlete who's not all about "God made it so that I would win".

Jenna
07-30-2010, 08:23 PM
She seems like such a sweet girl with a good head upon her shoulders. I wish her all the best of luck in the future.

P.S. Does anyone know for sure what her competitive status is these days?

The Fly On The Wall
07-30-2010, 09:48 PM
The criticism is hard. Some people will make assumptions about you before even meeting you. Some will gossip about things that seem unimportant, like my weight, my hair, my makeup, and so on. I'm not saying that I have never gossiped. But I never want my actual skating to get lost among the gossip and the criticism.

Sounds like she's been reading here. :( I wish her all the best.

Jenna
07-30-2010, 10:08 PM
That's really sad. I try to refrain from making unnecessarily rude comments about skater's appearances, and in general things they have NO control over. Unfortunately there will always be those who cannot help themselves. Skaters DO read boards like this one, and who knows, maybe some of them are posters among us!

Kimmie, if you're reading this, I love you! :encore: ;)

michiruwater
07-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Kimmie for gold in 2014! :cheer2:

Triple Butz
07-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Kimmie is so sweet, and I am glad that her faith "helps her through rough times" but it really irks me when people say their talents and abilities are "gifts from god."

Jenna
07-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Kimmie is so sweet, and I am glad that her faith "helps her through rough times" but it really irks me when people say their talents and abilities are "gifts from god."

I don't understand why. It is her right as a US Citizen to have her own religious beliefs...personally I don't see that statement as being irksome.

attyfan
07-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Very sweet article. I rather like it when people acknowledge that their talents and abilities are gifts from G-d, as opposed to something solely attributable to their own merit.

Bonita
07-31-2010, 12:34 AM
I am totally not religious, but I found it a sweet article, and I'm glad she has that belief/strength to hold her through the tough times. I would really like to see her compete again. I have found her courage and dignity quite "real," not just PR/USFSA-Speak,though the years. She seems like a genuine person.

Triple Butz
07-31-2010, 12:45 AM
I don't understand why. It is her right as a US Citizen to have her own religious beliefs...personally I don't see that statement as being irksome.

It certainly is her right, and she is entitled to believe that. I just happen to think it's ridiculous. I like people to take credit for their own hard work, passion, and motivation rather than attribute it to some magical nonsense.

Lanie
07-31-2010, 12:56 AM
It certainly is her right, and she is entitled to believe that. I just happen to think it's ridiculous. I like people to take credit for their own hard work, passion, and motivation rather than attribute it to some magical nonsense.

To the people who believe that God gave them some talent or skill it is absolutely not "magical nonsense".

Jenna
07-31-2010, 01:08 AM
Oh my goodness. Maybe it's just me, but I am a very religious person, and your comment about "magical nonsense" was highly insulting to a practicing Catholic. If I may ask, do you practice any type of formal religion? I think the answer must be no, for if you did, I doubt you would ever say something like that.

Triple Butz
07-31-2010, 01:38 AM
Oh my goodness. Maybe it's just me, but I am a very religious person, and your comment about "magical nonsense" was highly insulting to a practicing Catholic. If I may ask, do you practice any type of formal religion? I think the answer must be no, for if you did, I doubt you would ever say something like that.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you should realize that what irks you about my statement is the same thing that irks me about Kimmie's.

Personally, I don't practice religion. I grew up with it, and was even confirmed, but as an adult I decided it was a complete waste of time FOR ME. That doesn't mean it's a waste of time for everybody.

To better illustrate my irkdom, let me just say that I am a professional musician, and since I was a kid I've been hearing the "god has given you a gift speech" and it's really annoying. Who are you to assume I was born with some magical ability? You didn't see the hours and hours of practice, the nerve-wracking competitions, or the years of instruction from famous teachers. You just showed up at the recital, heard me play, and assumed I was "given" this ability. If somebody else wants to let their god take credit for what they've done, that is their choice, but I choose to take credit for my own hard work and experience. That's why we have copyright afterall :summer:

Iceman
07-31-2010, 01:44 AM
The connection seems forced, arbitrary and certainly tenuous, but whatever helps you.
What is the last date before she will need to decide to compete? I would like to see her come back if she is ready.