PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner on skating & faith

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Sylvia
10-15-2010, 05:43 AM
It has been reported that Kimmie tweeted she will not compete this year because her heart is just not in it.
Thanks. Here's her Oct. 13th tweet: http://twitter.com/kimmiemeissner/status/27252204042

unfortunately I am not competing this year. I wish I was, but I felt like my heart wasn't in it, so I'm in school instead right now

neptune
10-15-2010, 07:23 AM
I seriously doubt that she will compete again.

Unless she wants to make an Elaine Zayak-style comeback somewhere down the road. Both won the world title at age 16 and a single national title before getting passed by other skaters. So, let's check with Kimmie about 7 years from now, and see if her fire starts to flame again. ;)

attyfan
10-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Unless she wants to make an Elaine Zayak-style comeback somewhere down the road. Both won the world title at age 16 and a single national title before getting passed by other skaters. So, let's check with Kimmie about 7 years from now, and see if her fire starts to flame again. ;)

If Kimmie doesn't "go pro", then she doesn't have to wait for another ISU rule change to make a Zayak-style comeback. Seriously, maybe the USFS should create a new category ("Advanced"?) for skaters who are no longer competing, but have not lost their Oly eligibility) -- Sarah and Michelle, as well as Kimmie.

Dilng
10-15-2010, 06:14 PM
To the people who believe that God gave them some talent or skill it is absolutely not "magical nonsense".

ITA!!!!!

alilou
12-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Here's a lovely article about Kimmie and her life now - she's in school full-time, and still involved a lot with the cool kids campaign.

It's written as if she'd like to return to competitive skating but there's no quote form Kimmie actually saying that she's going to.

Kimmie Meissner really is a Cool Kid
http://www.latinoskating.org/kimmie-meissner-really-is-a-cool-kid/

“I really want to (return) – I miss competing so much!” Meissner exclaimed. “I’m a super competitive person. It’s hard to watch the U.S. Nationals and not be there.”

Meissner currently skates two hours a day, five days a week. By all means, she is definitely leaving the door open for a potential comeback. After all, she did not end her skating career the way she would have liked.

Since her historic triple axel in 2005, she continued to practice the jump but they were never consistent enough to put them in a program – until the summer leading up to the ’09 – ’10 season.

At 20 years-old, Meissner had finally gotten her triple axel back.

Cheylana
12-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks for posting this article - Kimmie is still a total doll! :)

neptune
12-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for posting this article - Kimmie is still a total doll! :)

We hear the term "role model" tossed around a lot, but Kimmie's one of the few who really seem to live up to that description IMO. That doesn't mean she's perfect, of course (who is?), but she seems like a very down-to-earth, likable young woman.

paskatefan
12-15-2010, 11:06 AM
We hear the term "role model" tossed around a lot, but Kimmie's one of the few who really seem to live up to that description IMO. That doesn't mean she's perfect, of course (who is?), but she seems like a very down-to-earth, likable young woman.

She is, she is! :encore:

kwanette
12-15-2010, 12:23 PM

The cutest thing at the reception after the Tribute Show on Saturday night was Kimmie's going around to different "legends" of the sport and getting autographs. In truth, I don't' think that she has changed one bit since she won novice, Jrs, Nats, Worlds and the like. She is as sweet as ever...and is, as Sparks would say..."Awesome Kimmie Blue Socks"...

Frau Muller
12-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Good for Kimmie for knowing her limitations. She is indeed a rolemodel - for 'nameless others' who refuse to quit altough their shelf-life in elite skating has expired.

DickButtonFan
12-15-2010, 01:20 PM
She got her 3a back?

Lanie
12-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Good for Kimmie for knowing her limitations. She is indeed a rolemodel - for 'nameless others' who refuse to quit altough their shelf-life in elite skating has expired.

What a sweet backhanded compliment. How incredibly rude of you. :mad:

RD
12-15-2010, 04:47 PM
I saw that article a couple months ago, it's an interesting read.

But a return? Highly doubt it. We already saw how it worked out for Hughes and Cohen...if she wants to attempt one I won't stop her but we already have a few "like"
skaters and some promising talent moving up. The sport has moved on.

edonice
12-16-2010, 06:12 AM
I'm still rooting for Kimmie.

She seemed to thrive on routine and then she made all these changes: moving to Florida, switching coaches, then a string of injuries. It seemed to really hurt her confidence and joy in the sport.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a rested, remotivated, more mature Kimmie on competitive ice again. She's got a lot to prove, and as she said, she's a super competitive person. I don't think she'd be happy unless she came back for at least one season.

leafygreens
12-17-2010, 04:26 PM
I love Kimmie but I think she's gone for good. Almost nothing good happens once skaters get older, bigger and out of the daily practice routine. It would've been great if she'd accomplished more, but she can already leave the sport with some already huge accomplishments. I don't think that's anything to feel bad about.