PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner on skating & faith

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

PDilemma
08-04-2010, 01:40 AM
I wonder ............. Johnny Baldwin? .......... Jack Weir?

Another thing is that a lot of skaters' names don't have diminutives. Jeremy, Brandon, Elliot, Rachael, Caroline, Mirai, Alissa, Armin, Adam, Keegan, Jason, Grant, Dennis, Parker, etc. Then again, some skaters do use diminutives; Becky, Tommy, Johnny, Kimmie, Katie, Trina, etc.

I've taught a Caroline called Cari, an Alissa called Lissy, several Jason's and one Jeremy called Jay, and know a few men named Dennis who are often called Denny. And I've taught two Beckys who were not Rebeccas and a million Katies who were not Katherine, Kathleen etc....plus a Katie who was actually Mary Elizabeth--never did figure that one out.

I went to school with a Fleming whose family called her "Flem". Any name can have a diminutive.

Lanie
08-04-2010, 01:47 AM
I first saw "Alissa Starr Czisny" used at the 2008 Liberty Summer Competition: http://www.libertyskating.org/2008ResultsSeniors.html

Sorry for the OT! ;)

I stand corrected by the mighty Sylvia!

michiruwater
08-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Half of Caroline's fans call her Caro (much to Carolina Kostner's fans' irritation). I'm surprised you would say she doesn't have a nickname, even if she doesn't use it herself.

I know several Rachels called "Rach" or Elliots called "El." It happens.

geod2
08-04-2010, 02:44 AM
Half of Caroline's fans call her "Caro" ...
I know several Rachels called "Rach" or Elliots called "El."

I just hope nobody starts calling Alissa "Al".

:P

RD
08-04-2010, 04:13 AM
A few Emilys I know are called "Em" on occasion. I've referred to Emily Hughes in the past as "Em"...(don't know if she actually is called that or not)

leafygreens
08-04-2010, 04:58 AM
Back to Kimmie - I enjoyed the article and hope she is able to make some sort of a comeback, even if she doesn't get to the top of the world anymore. It's great how she devotes so much time to charities!

Polymer Bob
08-04-2010, 01:47 PM
I went to school with a Fleming whose family called her "Flem". Any name can have a diminutive.

Yes, but you have to be careful. Would you call an Elliot "Ellie"? Would you call a Brandon "Brandie"?
Though actually, I knew a Roosevelt who was called "Rosie". And a Conner who was called "Connie".

PDilemma
08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Yes, but you have to be careful. Would you call an Elliot "Ellie"? Would you call a Brandon "Brandie"?
Though actually, I knew a Roosevelt who was called "Rosie". And a Conner who was called "Connie".

As a high school teacher for 16 years, I called kids what they wanted to be called. If Connor and/or his parents had asked that he be called "Connie", I would have called him that.

gkelly
08-04-2010, 06:06 PM
There are some one-syllable shortenings of names that seem to be used as direct address in conversation with the person, but that the person would never be introduced as (by self or others) or that wouldn't be used in third person statements.

My sister and others sometimes address me by the first syllable of my first name, but neither they nor I would use that syllable to refer to me in another context.

From something I've read somewhere I got the impression that people call Jeremy Abbott "Jer" in that way. Probably other Jeremys as well.

I've heard or used "A" for Amy or Adria.

Etc.

For whatever that's worth.

danceronice
08-04-2010, 07:23 PM
If you're British (and hosting "Top Gear") Jeremy can be "Jezza". But that's a little UK for US ears.

Likewise (and for some reason I'm thinking this is also more a British-English thing) I've seen "Dennis" shortened to just "Den." And on this side of the pond I have heard Brian shortened to "Bri."

And somehow thanks to my old studio I keep ending on dance-event programs as "Jen." (I wish they wouldn't. My name is "Jennifer.")

I think Kimmie or Kimberly sounds good either way. It's her name. She could ask to be called Slartybartfast and it's up to her.

Wyliefan
08-04-2010, 07:44 PM
That would be interesting. :lol:

neptune
10-15-2010, 04:46 AM
This thread is pretty old by now, but did Kimmie ever make a decision about competing again?

Sylvia
10-15-2010, 04:52 AM
Meissner is scheduled to perform in Michael Weiss Foundation benefit show on October 24 in Arlington, VA: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74497

AFAIK Meissner has not made any public announcements about competing this season. South Atlantic Regionals is coming up and we'll know for sure if her name is not listed in the Senior Ladies starting order.

neptune
10-15-2010, 05:08 AM
Meissner is scheduled to perform in Michael Weiss Foundation benefit show on October 24 in Arlington, VA: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74497

AFAIK Meissner has not made any public announcements about competing this season. South Atlantic Regionals is coming up and we'll know for sure if her name is not listed in the Senior Ladies starting order.

Thanks for the helpful info, Sylvia.

Iceman
10-15-2010, 05:41 AM
It has been reported that Kimmie tweeted she will not compete this year because her heart is just not in it. I seriously doubt that she will compete again. Too much water under the bridge.