PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner on skating & faith

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

geod2
08-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Maybe it is also time for her to forget "Kimmie" and start to compete under her real name, maybe that would help at least a liiittle bit?

Interesting observation....time for her to compete as an adult and not a girl???

Her trajectory was straight up before the muscularity and jump problems sidetracked her.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really hope she can be a serious factor this year... I've always loved watching her skating, and if she could find the determination to go for it,
that would add a whole new exciting dimension to U.S. Ladiezzzzzz.
At the very least we could drop one or two of the "z"s .....

Polymer Bob
08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Maybe it is also time for her to forget "Kimmie" and start to compete under her real name, maybe that would help at least a liiittle bit?

It's awkward when the last sound of a first name is the same as the first sound of the last. So Kimmmm MMMMeissner would be tough. It would have to be Kimberly Meissner. Either that, or she could do like the Canadians and use her middle name. Claire Meissner would be OK.

Poggi
08-03-2010, 12:48 PM
It's awkward when the last sound of a first name is the same as the first sound of the last. So Kimmmm MMMMeissner would be tough. It would have to be Kimberly Meissner. Either that, or she could do like the Canadians and use her middle name. Claire Meissner would be OK.

Umm, I'd no sooner like seeing Claire Meissner then Pauline Cohen or Aileen Nagasu, Elizabeth Flatt, Anne Hughes. These just sound even more awkward :) Kimmie is a nice name, and considering she is a nice person I see no harm there :)

Polymer Bob
08-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Oh, I don't know.
"Frank Lysacek" has a strong, masculine ring to it. :lynch:

michiruwater
08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
I always forget that his middle name is Frank. Somehow that just doesn't suit him.

Theatregirl1122
08-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Thank god. The "Kimmie needs to grow up and stop using the nickname that she actually likes" parade hasn't gone by in ages.

chipso1
08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
FWIW, she did officially go by "Kimberly" at the 2008 U.S. Nationals, though the commentators and reporters still called her Kimmie.

Jaana
08-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh, I don't know.
"Frank Lysacek" has a strong, masculine ring to it. :lynch:

Frank Lysacek has a nice sound, but so does also Evan Lysacek. Evan is not a pet name like Kimmie is for Meissner.

geod2
08-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Umm, I'd no sooner like seeing Claire Meissner then Pauline Cohen or Aileen Nagasu, Elizabeth Flatt, Anne Hughes. These just sound even more awkward :)

...or Starr Czisny??? (that one's definitely awkward).

Maybe we should just call them what they want to be called (Uh, the way we prefer it for ourselves!!!)
;)

triple_toe
08-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Maybe if Sasha went by Alexandra Cohen she would have been a World and Olympic champion. The childish diminutive was obviously what was holding her back. Hell, maybe if Kimmie went by Kimberly Meissner, she would have been a world Champion too. Oh, wait... :P

mrinalini
08-03-2010, 11:02 PM
...or Starr Czisny??? (that one's definitely awkward).

Wow, didn't realize that was Alissa's middle name. Quite a strange choice on her parents' part, IMO - it makes me think immediately of Brenda Starr. :lol:

Although, considering the overall...sparkliness of her look, maybe "Starr" isn't so inappropriate after all.

geod2
08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Wow, didn't realize that was Alissa's middle name. Quite a strange choice on her parents' part, IMO - it makes me think immediately of Brenda Starr. :lol:

Although, considering the overall...sparkliness of her look, maybe "Starr" isn't so inappropriate after all.

"Dr. Zhivago is a special piece for me since my great-great grandmother was born in Russia, and (her daughter) my great-Grandma Starr’s favorite music was Lara’s Theme."

(5th paragraph)
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/alissaczisny/journal/2009-january3.html

:)

Lanie
08-03-2010, 11:28 PM
"Dr. Zhivago is a special piece for me since my great-great grandmother was born in Russia, and (her daughter) my great-Grandma Starr’s favorite music was Lara’s Theme."

(5th paragraph)
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/alissaczisny/journal/2009-january3.html

:)

It doesn't say that's her middle name though.

I always did kinda wonder why Sasha never just went by Alexandra. I guess no one calls her that. But no one calls me by my first name, just a nickname, though I used my first name in school and work.

I still like Kimmie for... Kimmie. I really hope she skates again, I enjoyed her a lot and I wish her the best.

Sylvia
08-03-2010, 11:52 PM
It doesn't say that's her middle name though.
I first saw "Alissa Starr Czisny" used at the 2008 Liberty Summer Competition: http://www.libertyskating.org/2008ResultsSeniors.html

Sorry for the OT! ;)

Polymer Bob
08-04-2010, 01:36 AM
I wonder ............. Johnny Baldwin? .......... Jack Weir?

Another thing is that a lot of skaters' names don't have diminutives. Jeremy, Brandon, Elliot, Rachael, Caroline, Mirai, Alissa, Armin, Adam, Keegan, Jason, Grant, Dennis, Parker, etc. Then again, some skaters do use diminutives; Becky, Tommy, Johnny, Kimmie, Katie, Trina, etc.