PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner on skating & faith

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

museksk8r
08-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Gao is a second year senior.

She's never skated internationally as a senior, yet it doesn't stop some from hyping her to achieve world domination. :rollin:

lilshorty
08-01-2010, 10:05 PM
*dreads to think of the trainwreck splatfest that would be required at Nationals for someone like Christina Gao to win or even finish top 3* I'm having flashbacks of Nationals in Phoenix 1993. :yikes::drama:

Ditto. Sure, she's talented for a 15 year old, but her skating isn't even on the level of that of Nagasu's (minus the underrotated jumps) when she was U.S. champion at age 14 back in 2008. She's slower, has bad posture, her jumps swing out too much on the landings, and she's as lyrical as Irina Slutskaya, for lack of a better comparison :P (sorry Irina fans!). Plus she's a snoozefest...about as interesting as watching mud dry :yawn: and not nearly as exciting as Nagasu. Christina's talented, but I'm not falling for the hype. I'd give her about another two years to say she'll be ready to challenge the top of the pack at Nationals.

DickButtonFan
08-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Ditto. Sure, she's talented for a 15 year old, but her skating isn't even on the level of that of Nagasu's (minus the underrotated jumps) when she was U.S. champion at age 14 back in 2008. She's slower, has bad posture, her jumps swing out too much on the landings, and she's as lyrical as Irina Slutskaya, for lack of a better comparison :P (sorry Irina fans!). Plus she's a snoozefest...about as interesting as watching mud dry :yawn: and not nearly as exciting as Nagasu. Christina's talented, but I'm not falling for the hype. I'd give her about another two years to say she'll be ready to challenge the top of the pack at Nationals.

I don't get the hype either! I think it's mostly cuz her coach is Brian so every one is expecting yuna 2.0 I don't see GAO getting there at least yet. Yuna was better than Gao at her age and that was before Brian so it's not even Brian who made yuna anyway her just made her even better.

pinky166
08-01-2010, 11:25 PM

Well her score from Skate Detroit was higher than the one Ashley just put up at Skate Wilmington, by about 7 points too. I think you're assesment of Christina is unfair, based on her international scores and this summer's scores, Christina really is very comparable to Ashley. And if people think Ashley can be the next national champion, there's no reason to count Christina out of the running. Also, she's 16 and her musicality and expression have gotten a lot better. A bunch of Christina doubters will likely wind up eating crow this spring when she makes the world team and Ashley doesn't.....which I see as a real possibility.

Sylvia
08-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't think it's useful or accurate to compare scores across summer club competitions. Christina Gao, being on the JGP, has to be ready for the new season much earlier than Ashley Wagner, so their training schedules and goals are quite different at this point of the season.

pinky166
08-01-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't think it's useful or accurate to compare scores across summer club competitions. Christina Gao, being on the JGP, has to be ready for the new season much earlier than Ashley Wagner, so their training schedules and goals are quite different at this point of the season.

I guess. I think the more telling comparison is can you remember the last time Czisny or Zhang scored 107+ in a FS? If I remember correctly, the last time those two put up a FS score that high was in the 08-09 season, and Christina put up that score in summer competition super early in the season with only 2 combinations.

oleada
08-01-2010, 11:50 PM
It's not Zhang or Czisny who Gao will have to beat for the US title you're telling us she'll win. She'll face Nagasu, Wagner , Flatt & Zawadzki, who have all beat her rather easily in the past.

Look, she's a very talented young skater at this point. She might as well medal or even win at US nationals at this point, who knows? Like any other skater, she has strength and flaws. But saying that she'll win US Nationals and make the World team is really putting the cart before the horse at this point in time.

michiruwater
08-02-2010, 12:17 AM
There's always inflation to consider, love. It occurs all the time on the national level, and in club competitions as well, hate to break it to you.

Caroline scored 105.68 at 4CCs this past season. Not 107, but this was a really terrible season for her. Time will tell if it continues that way.

oleada
08-02-2010, 12:51 AM
There's always inflation to consider, love. It occurs all the time on the national level, and in club competitions as well, hate to break it to you.

Thank you for mentioning that. Gao, for example, scored higher at the SP at Skate Detroit last year than she did the rest of the year. She also scored 95 points in the FS final for a two fall program - over 10 points what she scored at JGP Torun Cup with similar content. Her qualifying score of 164.63 was significantly higher than her ISU PB score of 151.47.

pinky166
08-02-2010, 12:58 AM
It's not Zhang or Czisny who Gao will have to beat for the US title you're telling us she'll win. She'll face Nagasu, Wagner , Flatt & Zawadzki, who have all beat her rather easily in the past.

Look, she's a very talented young skater at this point. She might as well medal or even win at US nationals at this point, who knows? Like any other skater, she has strength and flaws. But saying that she'll win US Nationals and make the World team is really putting the cart before the horse at this point in time.

Wagner is the one that's really over-hyped IMO. I mean, her SB for the SP last season was below Murakami, Shelepen, Ovcharova, Leonova, Makarova, Korpi, Gedevanishvilli, Dobbs, the list goes on. The fact that she can't break the 60 point mark in a SP internationally when lots of top competitors are scoring in the 70s or at the very least mid-60s, is pretty telling of where she's at right now.

michiruwater
08-02-2010, 01:02 AM
She's the only American ladies' skater who made the GPF last season.

Coco
08-02-2010, 01:04 AM
Didn't Debi Thomas also attend Stanford while she was competing? And wasn't Michelle attending UCLA when she won Worlds in 2000 and 2001?

Yes, I think Debi did attend Stanford while competing, but she may have taken the winter quarter off.

As I understanding, Michelle's attending UCLA was definitely not a full time thing, except perhaps for one quarter, over the summer.

Sylvia
08-02-2010, 01:12 AM
(It sure would be nice if all the non-Kimmie discussion could move to another more relevant thread...)

As for Kimmie, I would love to see her make a come back this season. She has until September 1st to sign up for Regionals...
I, too, would like to see her return to competition as long as she wants to give it a try. 2011 South Atlantic Regionals will be held October 15-19, 2010, in Wake Forest, North Carolina.

pinky166
08-02-2010, 01:15 AM
She's the only American ladies' skater who made the GPF last season.

And she skated the best she could there while everyone else except Akiko skated poorly and she still only finished a distant 4th, and likely would have finished last had Joannie and Alena no had mega meltdowns in the FS. I mean, she had a great opportunity to take advantage of Miki and Yuna skating poorly there, but despite skating well she just wasn't able to do it. I really like Ashley but it's clear the international judges don't think she's that great.

Further I think US ladies skating in general has been in a bit of a rut recently, Flatt is a good competitor and consistent and Nagasu is finally starting to get recognized for her talent, but apart from those two, it just seems like the rest if the top tier of US ladies (Wagner, Zhang, Czisny...) just aren't up to snuff with the top ladies internationally, even when they falter. That's why I'm hyping Christina, she may not be there yet, but I think she has the ability to go farther than Zhang, Czisny, Wagner, and likely even Flatt ever have/will.

Sylvia
08-02-2010, 01:16 AM
nm