PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner on skating & faith

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

beabstress
07-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I agree with you that Kimmie herself seems to have a good sense of self-esteem and a level head on her shoulders, and that's great to see. I was trying to indicate that it's a more generalized kind of problem for young girls, this self-esteem "thing," and that it's great when these young girls can witness someone highly accomplished who takes full credit for what's she's got and what she does with it.

In the end, though, I think we ALL celebrate notable accomplishments like Kimmie's, and that's really all that matters. Best of luck to her!

I don't get from that article at all that Kimmie is solely attributing her success to God. She also talks about her hard work and her work ethic. It's not like she's saying that she just walked into a rink and God did everything else she needed to become world champion.

I really also don't get the sense that her self-esteem has been damaged at all by her religious faith. If anything, she must have a very strong sense of self-esteem to have endured the insinuations that her winning Worlds was a fluke, and to want to continue in the sport and enjoy it after that.

There may be athletes who give too much credit to God and not enough to themselves, but she certainly doesn't come across as one of them at all.

Wyliefan
07-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Maybe on the national level...but we've had, what, 5 national champions in 5 years? And Kimmie was the last US lady to medal at Worlds, no?

Wow, I'd forgotten that!

RD
07-31-2010, 03:25 PM
The next best finish by a US lady was also Kimmie, who finished 4th in 2007.

If we're speaking of the 2006-2010 quadrennial, Cohen finished 3rd in 2006 as well.

Something else I noticed about Meissner: in all her 3 trips to Worlds, she was the highest placing lady of the US team, at 1st, 4th and 7th. It's like you could feel the talent of the US team sliding year by year. At least Flatt pulled up to 5th in 09, before Nagasu slid (literally) to 7th again this year. Maybe now we can do better than that.

paskatefan
07-31-2010, 04:18 PM
I agree with you that Kimmie herself seems to have a good sense of self-esteem and a level head on her shoulders, and that's great to see. I was trying to indicate that it's a more generalized kind of problem for young girls, this self-esteem "thing," and that it's great when these young girls can witness someone highly accomplished who takes full credit for what's she's got and what she does with it.

In the end, though, I think we ALL celebrate notable accomplishments like Kimmie's, and that's really all that matters. Best of luck to her!

Love my Kimmie! Hope she can come back strongly this season!

Polymer Bob
07-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Maybe on the national level...but we've had, what, 5 national champions in 5 years?

Let me figure this out.

2005 - Michelle
2006 - Sasha
2007 - Kimmie
2008 - Mirai
2009 - Alissa
2010 - Rachael

No, we have had 6 national champions in 6 years? :)
By the way, whose turn is it?

Something else I noticed about Meissner: in all her 3 trips to Worlds, she was the highest placing lady of the US team, at 1st, 4th and 7th. It's like you could feel the talent of the US team sliding year by year. At least Flatt pulled up to 5th in 09, before Nagasu slid (literally) to 7th again this year. Maybe now we can do better than that.

One of the U.S. ladies will break out, we just don't know who.

museksk8r
07-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Let me figure this out.

2005 - Michelle
2006 - Sasha
2007 - Kimmie
2008 - Mirai
2009 - Alissa
2010 - Rachael

No, we have had 6 national champions in 6 years? :)

I think what was meant was 5 new, 1st time national champions. Kwan won her 9th, 8th consecutive, title in 2005 . . . Michelle was the last one to defend her title is the point that was being made, unless Flatt is able to do it next year.

By the way, whose turn is it?

Ashley's . . . hope she can deliver! :cheer2:

RD
07-31-2010, 04:48 PM
I think what was meant was 5 new, 1st time national champions. Kwan won her 9th, 8th consecutive, title in 2005 . . . Michelle was the last one to defend her title is the point that was being made, unless Flatt is able to do it next year.

Ditto. Thank you.

Also, about the last point, a recent trend shows defending national champs appear to have the worst of luck.

2007- Cohen: no-show
2008- Meissner: 7th
2009- Nagasu: 5th
2010- Czisny: 10th
2011- Flatt: :eek:

Well, she's only next in line. :lol:

agalisgv
07-31-2010, 04:59 PM
That was a very nice interview--Kimmie came across as very level-headed with a good heart.

OT, but it was interesting to see the interviewer was a former classmate of mine. I wondered what he was up to.

Polymer Bob
07-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Ditto. Thank you.

Also, about the last point, a recent trend shows defending national champs appear to have the worst of luck.

2007- Cohen: no-show
2008- Meissner: 7th
2009- Nagasu: 5th
2010- Czisny: 10th
2011- Flatt: :eek:

Yes, that's very true.

2006- Kwan: no-show

Well, she's only next in line. :lol:

My guess is either Ashley or Caroline will win next year. Assuming the girls are nice enough to keep taking turns like this.

Wyliefan
07-31-2010, 05:56 PM

Hear, hear! :cheer2:

Iceman
07-31-2010, 09:04 PM
But is Ashley going full time? I thought she was just taking a couple courses.

Are there any successful skaters who go/went to college full time? I wouldn't really count Alissa since her only achievement is one controversial win at nationals.

Carol Heiss and I believe, Uncle Dick.

overedge
07-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Carol Heiss and I believe, Uncle Dick.

If "success" is winning an Olympic gold medal, then, yes, those are the two best examples. But if we count "success" as being competitive at a high level when going to school, then there's skaters like Paul Wylie and Tonia Kwiatkowski (who at one point IIRC was taking a full course load *and* skating nationally/internationally).

cem
07-31-2010, 09:32 PM

If you take Michelle out of the equation from 1990-1996 there was a different champion each year. U.S. is returning to normal form. Kwan was basically a skating freak in the best sense.

attyfan
07-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Didn't Debi Thomas also attend Stanford while she was competing? And wasn't Michelle attending UCLA when she won Worlds in 2000 and 2001?

RD
08-01-2010, 02:24 AM
2006- Kwan: no-show

True as well, but perhaps I should have been more clear...I was referring to first-time winners of the National championship.