PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner on skating & faith

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Jenna
07-31-2010, 01:47 AM
I suppose she would have to compete at South Atlantic Regionals first, and then Eastern Sectionals. The deadline to register for the 2010-2011 Qualifying Season is 9/1/2010.

Polymer Bob
07-31-2010, 01:48 AM
Kimmie sounds like a really decent girl. I guess most skaters do. But going to college full time and skating can be a tough assignment.

Of course, Alissa did it and Ashley is doing it now.

LilJen
07-31-2010, 01:50 AM
Such a nice interview--thanks for sharing it! Doesn't sound like we'll know until October whether she felt ready to take on competition again. I STILL hope she does--if not this year then the next, or the next. Her presentation made SUCH leaps and bounds in 2007-2009, even if she was struggling technically, and you can definitely see the joy in her skating.

RockTheTassel
07-31-2010, 01:51 AM
Kimmie sounds like a really decent girl. I guess most skaters do. But going to college full time and skating can be a tough assignment.

Of course, Alissa did it and Ashley is doing it now.

But is Ashley going full time? I thought she was just taking a couple courses.

Are there any successful skaters who go/went to college full time? I wouldn't really count Alissa since her only achievement is one controversial win at nationals.

beabstress
07-31-2010, 01:59 AM
I'm certainly not presuming to speak on anyone's behalf, but I truly don't believe that Triple Butz was trying to stir up trouble here, and I hope that this thread doesn't degenerate into something yucky because people's buttons are getting pushed. Personally, I am in agreement with Triple Butz (about being irked when athletic success is attributed to God); but to me, it isn't a religious thing, actually. Instead, I take issue with the current "culture of humility," for lack of a better term, that makes it "tacky" or just plain WRONG for a person to stand up and take credit where credit is due. Society sends us the message that we shouldn't be proud of ourselves, shouldn't toot our own horns--and so we have to shift the credit elsewhere. This is especially damaging for young girls, like Kimmie. To me, it's not a question of abandoning religion--it's only about building healthy self-esteem.

just wondering
07-31-2010, 02:00 AM
I suppose she would have to compete at South Atlantic Regionals first, and then Eastern Sectionals. The deadline to register for the 2010-2011 Qualifying Season is 10/1/2010.

Could the deadline to register be September 1, 2010, rather than October 1? October is cutting it pretty close to Regionals. I don't know specifically which week in October South Atlantic's is, but even if it is the last week, I think all Regionals have the same registration deadline. Then again, I really don't know.:-)

Jenna
07-31-2010, 02:12 AM
Could the deadline to register be September 1, 2010, rather than October 1? October is cutting it pretty close to Regionals. I don't know specifically which week in October South Atlantic's is, but even if it is the last week, I think all Regionals have the same registration deadline. Then again, I really don't know.:-)

:o You're right! It is supposed to be 9/1/10! :)

RD
07-31-2010, 02:23 AM
I have found her courage and dignity quite "real," not just PR/USFSA-Speak,though the years. She seems like a genuine person.

Lately, I've been finding she has been surprisingly candid about many things related to her skating, both in recent articles and in the Q&A session with her I attended earlier this year. I never really thought she'd say some of these things, but I've come to appreciate her newfound honesty. Not so much in the way I appreciate, say, Mirai's, but when a skater isn't afraid to say that something's bothering her- whether it's an injury, a fan's or reporter's comment, or a trend- or isn't afraid to say that she wants to win (without putting down her competitors), deep down it makes me respect that skater more.

I saw this article earlier, and I'm not religious so I can't relate to the comments about God, etc, but if someone is spiritual and can use that to dig deep, more power to him/her.

As for her future in competitive skating, well, unfortunately I don't think she has one. She's done- let's be honest here- she's a skater that got incredibly lucky, peaked at the right time to take advantage of major mistakes from the favorites (2006 Worlds)...ever since then (and even before then) it's been a struggle to live up to those 4 minutes of greatness for her. Too much came too soon, the pressure built, she grew and it all unraveled...in such dramatic fashion. In the meantime, the current US Ladies, in the past three years, swooped right in and took over. It is clear that there are up-and-comers that can challenge, and for any of the old-timers it's really going to be a looong game of catch-up. Sport waits for no one. I wish her the best in whatever she chooses to do, whether it's skating-related or not.

In a way, the above is why I'm secretly glad Mirai didn't go on to win the '10 worlds (this is NOT to say I was not disappointed with her showing)- because expectations would have been that much higher for her, especially after the great Olympics she had. Now, expectations are still there, but tempered somewhat...at least IMO.

Wyliefan
07-31-2010, 03:12 AM
To better illustrate my irkdom, let me just say that I am a professional musician, and since I was a kid I've been hearing the "god has given you a gift speech" and it's really annoying. Who are you to assume I was born with some magical ability? You didn't see the hours and hours of practice, the nerve-wracking competitions, or the years of instruction from famous teachers. You just showed up at the recital, heard me play, and assumed I was "given" this ability. If somebody else wants to let their god take credit for what they've done, that is their choice, but I choose to take credit for my own hard work and experience. That's why we have copyright afterall :summer:

Oh, believe me, none of us believers are saying that a sport or an instrument doesn't take massive amounts of hard work! I'm only an amateur musician and I know that. That's not what "gift from God" means at all. It means it ALL came from God -- the ability and patience to nurture and develop and use a talent. We wouldn't have any of it if He hadn't created us in the first place.

I understand you don't agree with this, and that's fine. I'm not trying to push it on you. I only wanted to explain that viewpoint a little so you could understand better what that phrase means.

overedge
07-31-2010, 03:13 AM
but to me, it isn't a religious thing, actually. Instead, I take issue with the current "culture of humility," for lack of a better term, that makes it "tacky" or just plain WRONG for a person to stand up and take credit where credit is due. Society sends us the message that we shouldn't be proud of ourselves, shouldn't toot our own horns--and so we have to shift the credit elsewhere. This is especially damaging for young girls, like Kimmie. To me, it's not a question of abandoning religion--it's only about building healthy self-esteem.

I don't get from that article at all that Kimmie is solely attributing her success to God. She also talks about her hard work and her work ethic. It's not like she's saying that she just walked into a rink and God did everything else she needed to become world champion.

I really also don't get the sense that her self-esteem has been damaged at all by her religious faith. If anything, she must have a very strong sense of self-esteem to have endured the insinuations that her winning Worlds was a fluke, and to want to continue in the sport and enjoy it after that.

There may be athletes who give too much credit to God and not enough to themselves, but she certainly doesn't come across as one of them at all.

Polymer Bob
07-31-2010, 03:35 AM
There may be athletes who give too much credit to God and not enough to themselves, but she certainly doesn't come across as one of them at all.

If God gets the credit when Kimmie succeeds, does he get the blame when she fails? I could not blame a supernatural entity if I failed at something. The blame is all mine, therefore, so is the credit when I succeed.

The Fly On The Wall
07-31-2010, 05:04 AM
God gives the talent. You supply the work. Seems pretty straightforward to me. :)

In the meantime, the current US Ladies, in the past three years, swooped right in and took over.

Maybe on the national level...but we've had, what, 5 national champions in 5 years? And Kimmie was the last US lady to medal at Worlds, no?

RD
07-31-2010, 05:10 AM
And Kimmie was the last US lady to medal at Worlds, no?

Yes, she was...and that was when she won in 2006! Wow. :eek: Just hit me. Shows how long this drought has gone on.

Triple Butz
07-31-2010, 06:10 AM
Yes, she was...and that was when she won in 2006! Wow. :eek: Just hit me. Shows how long this drought has gone on.

The next best finish by a US lady was also Kimmie, who finished 4th in 2007.

overedge
07-31-2010, 06:59 AM
If God gets the credit when Kimmie succeeds, does he get the blame when she fails? I could not blame a supernatural entity if I failed at something. The blame is all mine, therefore, so is the credit when I succeed.

But I don't think she is giving God the credit for her results. She is giving God credit for giving her the *talent*. You may not agree with that, but she does talk about how she had to work hard to do something with that talent. So she is not crediting God alone for her successes or her failures.