PDA

View Full Version : Kimmie Meissner on skating & faith

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

Yazmeen
12-17-2010, 04:50 PM
I wasn't at the Atlantic City Caesar's Tribute as my own club had its holiday show that evening. However, a friend was there, and unfortunately described Kimmie and Sarah Hughes as the "two biggest disappointments" of the evening (this coming from a high level adult skater who hadn't been to a show like this in quite a while). Kimmie was not in shape, and her jumps were just off. She apparently had to do multiple retakes just to land jumps for the broadcast of the program. My friend wasn't being rude, she was just surprised at how far Kimmie's technique has fallen since her competitive days. I like Kimmie a lot, but I have to agree that she appears to be done. She'd have to do a lot of work to come back and even make the top 10 at Nationals.

RD
12-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Interesting about Hughes though. I think it was clear from her Today show performance that she's still getting back into it, but I'd figure she'd try to at least be in fighting shape if she wants to skate/perform again. I think it's great to see her skate again, but then, after being away from some time, I can understand how there might be somewhat of a gap between her and most of the other pros.

Yazmeen
12-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Per my friend, Sarah did not attempt a single jump during her Caesar's program, just spirals and non-jump elements.

RD
12-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Ah, I see. If you're not going to do jumps though you have to be a fairly engaging performer to pull it off, at least IMO. There used to be a nice charm to her skating (similar to her sister) but I suppose I will reserve judgment until I see it. Still, I found her Today show performance a little on the bleh side. Great to have her back though, hope she can develop her own pro style.

Tinami Amori
12-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Kimmie is so sweet, and I am glad that her faith "helps her through rough times" but it really irks me when people say their talents and abilities are "gifts from god."

It certainly is her right, and she is entitled to believe that. I just happen to think it's ridiculous. I like people to take credit for their own hard work, passion, and motivation rather than attribute it to some magical nonsense.

:respec::respec::respec:

Right on! And it really irks me when people say about others that the others’ gifts are from God and not from personal effort and sacrifice.

I absolutely believe that people who say such things want to find excuses for their own failures as in “God did not give me that gift, therefore I did not have a chance”, and take away the accomplishments of the others as in “Their success is due to circumstances beyond their control”.

If you’re not born to be a top skater or a ballerina – become a chess master, or a top athlete in other sport which suites “your abilities and body”…..

When one is not born to grow to be 5’9”, size 4 slim and trim, and can’t be a “Top Model who does not get out of bed for less than $10,000 dollars”, one can always find some other occupation where one can excel and become a “Professional who does not get out of bed for less than $50,000 dollars”….. :D

Polymer Bob
12-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Does anyone remember the plunge? :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT3DnEaO7YI

( You may get an advertisement first. )

Tinami Amori
12-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Instead, I take issue with the current "culture of humility," for lack of a better term, that makes it "tacky" or just plain WRONG for a person to stand up and take credit where credit is due. Society sends us the message that we shouldn't be proud of ourselves, shouldn't toot our own horns--and so we have to shift the credit elsewhere.

This is especially damaging for young girls, like Kimmie. To me, it's not a question of abandoning religion--it's only about building healthy self-esteem.

You are absolutely right!