PDA

View Full Version : Kindle vs Nook

judiz
07-30-2010, 05:26 AM
I decided to get an E-Book reader but can't decide between the Kindle and the Nook. I would love to hear from those who have them the pros and cons of each.

Prancer
07-30-2010, 05:29 AM
Thread, with link to another, longer, more detailed thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74433

:)

AxelAnnie
07-30-2010, 05:30 AM
Kindle! Kindle! Kindle!:D:encore::summer::hat1::smokin:

judiz
07-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Thread, with link to another, longer, more detailed thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74433

:)

Thanks

VIETgrlTerifa
08-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Get a nook. It's more advanced technology backed up by Android. Plus BN provides more selection of Ebooks and the prices are comparable to Amazon and Apple. It also allows you to to read files from third party sources as long as they are EPub, EReader (pbd), and PDF files. I think Amazon only does their propriety format and PDF.

Check to see if your local library allows you to check out books electronically through EPub. If it does, then you can use your nook to check out library books. You can also go to BN stores and preview books for free and lend about 50% of titles to your friends as long as they have a BN Ereader app on their smart phone, PC/Mac, or have a nook themselves.

Also, Nook allows for memory expansion which Kindle 2 doesn't allow for. And nook is the only EReader device that has both Wi-Fi and Free AT&T 3G service for under $200.

Looks like pilgrimsoul on the other thread made a great itemized list.

AxelAnnie
08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
eNook has three different readers. It actually sounds pretty nifty. I like the convenience of using Amazon (I use it for almost everything I buy online).....but I may just check out the eNook.

Does it need to be hooked up to a computer to download?

The new Kindle with WiFi will be $189........I am not sure, with the spotty coverage, that AT&T 3G is a great thing. I don't know what network Kindle has, but it I have not been anywhere yet where it doesn't connect.

It is, however much faster to go to Amazon on line and purchase the books. It is easier to scroll through the book selections, and find what I want, and then send it to my computer.

Kindle 1 allows for sharing. We have two of those (Mr. Axel and I each have one - not having sold my first one) and I have a Kindle 2....so sharing isn't an issue at the Axel home.

Kindle is going to be at Target.....who knew? and one other store which I don't remember.....so we can check them out before we buy...a first.

PC World (http://www.pcworld.com/article/202249/amazons_new_kindle_spells_doom_for_other_ereaders. html?tk=hp_ess) has a good article that compares all the eReaders

VIETgrlTerifa
08-01-2010, 05:22 PM
No, I think only the Sony readers force people to download their ebooks on their computer and transfer the files via USB.

Nook allows you to do it all wirelessly, unless you want to put mp3, picture files (gif, jpg, png, bmp, etc.) or book files from other sources onto them.

About the sharing, are you and your husband using one amazon account? BN lets people connect more than one nook to one BN account so if one person downloads a book, all the nooks and devices connected to that account gets to read it.

Does Amazon allow you to share a book to a friend who may have a different Amazon account from you?

Anyway, I'm glad that Kindles are available in Target now because it makes no sense for people to buy a new gadget they're not familiar with without being able to test-drive it first. I think competition is good for Amazon, BN, and Apple because in the end, we'll get better products...or at least products with more gimmicky features.

AxelAnnie
08-01-2010, 06:05 PM
I was really surprised to find the Kindle was going to be at Target....or anywhere. When I got my first Kindle (a gift from hubby) my husband was about one of three people on the planet who knew what it was.

We do not share accounts....although that would make sharing books a snap---I have been known to leave Kindle 2 at the office, and have to download my current thriller to Kindle 1. Kindle 1 does have the ability to share between Kindles...machine to machine.

Truthfully, though my husband and I read such vastly different books.....the share occasion is very rare.....but between my daughters and I ....different story.

orbitz
08-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Is anyone annoyed with B&N that as soon as you walk its doors, the first thing you encounter is the sale table for the Nook?

VIETgrlTerifa
08-01-2010, 11:42 PM
Unfortunately, it's going to get worse. The company is gung-ho about promotng it.

Moto Guzzi
08-02-2010, 03:16 AM
The 3rd generation Kindles are now available for pre-ordering with shipment on August 27. They are priced at $139 and $189. The $189 version is described here: http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Reading-Display-Graphite-Globally/dp/B002FQJT3Q/ref=amb_link_353611822_6?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=0C73E6BC4TP22XVJE6Q3&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1271496582&pf_rd_i=507846

I bought my Kindle at the end of April after months of considering which type of e-reader to buy. Naturally, its price would drop substantially in June and now there's a new version that's even better. I love my Kindle, but I would have waited had I known that a newer version would soon be available.

I've ordered Kindle books from Amazon's website and from the Kindle itself. In both cases, the books were there within seconds. I mostly have wireless turned off, unless I'm ordering a new book, and the battery lasts a long time. I thought I would have eye strain from reading on a screen, but that hasn't happened and I sometimes read for hours at a time. You can order a small light to clip to the Kindle, but I haven't needed that.

It is very light weight. I tend to hold books in my left hand, and heavier ones can cause a strain. I've never felt any discomfort in holding my Kindle.

You can read the first chapter of the book for free and then decide if you want to buy it or not. It has a huge selection at prices comparable to B&N's. I've ordered a lot of free books from their out-of-copyright, pre-1923 section.

One of my friends told me she didn't think she would buy an electronic book because she likes to write in hers and turn down the pages. I never do that to any of my books, but you can bookmark pages, highlight passages, and add notes in a Kindle. I like the built-in dictionary, too.

Impromptu
08-02-2010, 02:43 PM
I have the Nook and I absolutely love it. Everything I've ordered has been (via 3G) has been on the machine in seconds. I also do some ordering from B&N.com -- anything you order can you can put on both your Nook, or read via the B&N website (although I only use the Nook to read, I do use the B&N website to organize my books).

NancyNC
08-03-2010, 05:48 PM
A good feature that I think is present for both Kindle and Nook is that they have a Droid (and probably iPhone?) app that will allow you to read your books on your smartphone if you are caught somewhere like a waiting room and want something to read.

Wiery
08-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I have a 1rst gen Kindle and a Nook, and I love them both. Nook seems to get some books before they're available on Kindle, but I think shopping is easier on Kindle. If I'm just browsing books with no particular title or author, I tend to look at reader ratings-kindle has the number of stars listed with the titles for easy reference.