PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

millyskate
10-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Michael C appears to be a "raw talent". The kind the sickeningly for everybody else doesn't need to draw patterns to sew, knows instinctively about fabrics and their uses so doesn't need to give them a name, and has sufficient confidence in his aesthetic to avoid getting side-tracked when others put his design in doubt.

That said he does have taste issues, and isn't really fashion forward.... but in certain areas, he has undeniable natural talent. I agreed with Michael Kors on that one - who cares about him knowing the name of the fabric if he knows how to use it.

LordCirque
10-15-2010, 06:04 PM
A client might care. Just sayin...

PDilemma
10-15-2010, 06:11 PM

True. But I'm willing to wait and see what he does and doesn't know about his fabrics for his collection when he has more than 30 or 45 minutes to select them (plus acquire everything else needed to make a garment). Some things have to be excused in the circumstances of the show, and to me that's one of them.

And once a designer gets to the level of a Michael Kors (like him or not), s/he can hire someone to keep track of what kind of fabric everything is. ;)

PrincessLeppard
10-15-2010, 06:32 PM
It was quite bitchy of Gretchen to make her comment about getting a second chance like the others, but she is right. It is just one of those things that she should have said to herself.

Except she acted like that's the first time she'd been "saved." There were a couple times she should've been auf'ed, especially when she "led" her group into designing that horrific collection and then tried to blame it all on Michael C. And if Christopher hadn't been so universally dull, she might've gone home last week.

So to act like she'd always been in the top three was really, well, Gretchen of her. :P

PDilemma
10-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Except she acted like that's the first time she'd been "saved." There were a couple times she should've been auf'ed, especially when she "led" her group into designing that horrific collection and then tried to blame it all on Michael C. And if Christopher hadn't been so universally dull, she might've gone home last week.

So to act like she'd always been in the top three was really, well, Gretchen of her. :P

I just can't get over her not being thrown off for that crap this week, though. Seriously, you could probably put together something less tacky looking at WalMart with a bit of effort.

They should have just dispensed with the whole four come back thing and auf'ed both her and April.

And I've started hitting the mute button whenever her mouth opens.

genevieve
10-15-2010, 06:39 PM
And if Christopher hadn't been so universally dull, she might've gone home last week.
Yeah, I'd have sent her home instead of Christopher. But he was sooooooo dull, I couldn't remember he was even on the show and I watched like 4 eps in a row yesterday. Gretchen is certainly memorable, even if for the wrong reasons.

DarrellH
10-15-2010, 06:44 PM
A lot of Gretchen's clothes look like the model will be using the fondue set at the end of the runway.

nerdycool
10-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I liked what the guys put out, surprisingly. Michael's design looked like it'd be really frumpy and simple, but with the slit and the back, it kept it from being labeled a beach wrap.

Andy's was nice, although I agree that I couldn't find anything Central Park about it. And I loved Mondo's, period. While I agree that he uses a lot of houndstooth, I feel that he uses it differently each time, and besides, that's who Mondo is.

But I got annoyed with the judges when they called Andy out for playing it "safe," but didn't call Michael out on it, too. Tim mentioned it while giving the critique, so I'm guessing the judges were just so awed by the hip-high slit and open back that they forgot that his dress was probably just one long piece of fabric with minimal cutting.

Not sorry to see April go. Her designs just seem so one-dimensional to me. And I loved how Tim suggested that she use a different color palette and she says "don't worry, I've got something up my sleeve." She got a nice blue fabric. What does she do with it? She covers it with sheer black. Seriously? That's what was up your sleeve? I don't think that's what Tim meant. I do feel sorry for her though, because from what we've seen, the judges haven't called her on using just black at all. In fact, I can see where she'd be confused after all the raving she got on previous challenges for "being edgy and staying true" to herself.

Gretchen - blah. If you look at her first 3 designs, and then her last 3 designs, it's almost like a completely different person designed them. She started out contemporary and somehow her inner hippie came out midway through, mixing the two. And I don't think the the styles go together at all.

all_empty
10-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I do admit that Mondo's houndstooth is getting a bit stale, but he does have a talent mixing fabrics.

Mixing fabrics is Gretchen's weakness and may be her downfall next week. Her collection was so unappealing I literally wrote "puke-y colors and fabrics" in my notes.

I hated Andy's dress. It was too short and looked like some fetish club hostess from "The Matrix." Luckily, his final collection is very soft and feminine.

It's not easy to make a dress fit and move like Michael C's did. I agree that an ombre fabric would look gorgeous.

Beefcake
10-15-2010, 07:35 PM
A lot of Gretchen's clothes look like the model will be using the fondue set at the end of the runway.
:lol: ... and then, later, drawing car keys from a bowl to see whose husband she'll go home with.

I'm glad to have Gretchen around for her usual :watch: deliverables ... her 50/50 combo of spot-on comments and WTF delusions, her out-of-nowhere emotion swings, and of course her groovy Maude frockage.

Christian was a good guest judge ... insightful and thankfully not self-centered. I like that he reminded the other judges that he could only judge from TODAY's designs, not with past successes and/or baggage in mind. Not that the latter has ever factored into the Trio's decisions later in a season. :shuffle:

The preview shows a wide-eyed Tim snarking on at least parts of all four designers' works in progress. :D

hydro
10-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Maybe. But Michael C already has a bunch of A-list clients. Just sayin...

StonewshMullet
10-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Yes and those clients love him. Ivy, Gretchen etc... did not do themselves any favors.

skatesindreams
10-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Did he have these clients before appearing on PR; or did they come to him after the show?

PDilemma
10-15-2010, 07:58 PM
From one year ago:

http://www.palmspringslife.com/Palm-Springs-Life/October-2009/Couture-Made-Easy/

He's not where Gretchen was five years ago, as he has an established boutique and clientele and is probably not having problems bouncing checks.

Maybe the others are jealous that he has already had some successes?

skatesindreams
10-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Very interesting!