PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

susan6
10-15-2010, 04:16 PM
I was kind of :huh: at all the love for Michael Cs dress. I mean, it's pretty and made well and Angelina Jolie would totally wear that kind of dress, but....we've seen this before. It needed more wow. Although the back was definitely interesting. AND he gets extra points for his amazing Michael Kors imitation.

I certainly hope the judges had spoken to April about her continuous use of black BEFORE this challenge; it's kind of a punk move if they just brought it up at this point. However, she really should have known, especially since Tim recommended that she use color in Mood. (Her solution was to stick some dark blue or dark purple fabric under the black overlay. Wow, way to make a statement.)

Mondo for the overall win.

LordCirque
10-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Seriously, Does Michael C have something on one or more of the judges or producers? I'm beginning to think he does.

DarrellH
10-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Seriously, Does Michael C have something on one or more of the judges or producers? I'm beginning to think he does.

Maybe it's some residual sympathy for all the attacks he suffered through at the hands of Ivy, Gretchen, etc...?

StonewshMullet
10-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I was shocked that Michael C's dress was ooed and ahhed over. I thought it was way too simple and he would be on the outside looking in. Guess my taste needs an adjustment. I did hate April's Halloween costume.

Rob
10-15-2010, 04:42 PM
I was kind of :huh: at all the love for Michael Cs dress. I mean, it's pretty and made well and Angelina Jolie would totally wear that kind of dress, but....we've seen this before.

Yes, and Rami did the drapey dress much better I think.

The only 2 who I am interested in seeing a whole collection from are Mondo and Andy (if only to see if he breaks out of warrior woman). I would be interested in seeing more from April when she is a little more experienced with broader scope.

peibeck
10-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't get the hate for Michael C's dress. Yes, we have seen similar things before, but his and Mondo's creations were the only ones I would have remotely considered high fashion last night. The way Michael's gown moved was amazing, and jersey is an extremely complex fabric to work with to make it look that beautiful and not just a wrinkled mess.

cruisin
10-15-2010, 04:44 PM
I liked Michael C's dress. It moved beautifully, it fit beautifully. It was more closely connected to his inspiration than anyone else's. I'm not sure if it was lined, it looks like there are portions where the light shows through and that creates the illusion of a lining. But, cutting, shirring and draping fabric on the severe angle that he did it (because of the very low back and very high front), and having it move and hang so well, was outstanding.

I liked Mondo's dress. But, as much as April got nailed for too much black. Mondo should not just have been criticized for using herringbone a few too many times, but his multi pattern thing is just as repetitive.

I thought Andy's dress was great from the back, didn't like it from the front. And it was too short.

I liked April's dress more than most here did. I wonder if the blue/purple showed up more in person than it did on screen. I thought the shapes she created were really interesting, and the dress had nice movement.

Gretchen's was the worst. The skirt was hideous. The black lace over rust (or whatever color that was) was costumey. She should have let the natural edging of the lace be the bottom instead of hemming it. And the lining :eek:! The top was nothing special. The only interesting part of her "look" was the sort of art deco motif she did on the back of the jacket. The mitering on the corners (at the top) took some skill. But the jacket was ill-fitting and ugly from the front. And the styling was poor - a tango skirt with an art deco, very structured jacket? However, there were not going to let her go. She was set up from the beginning to be one of the last 4.

PDilemma
10-15-2010, 04:45 PM
I feel like I never want to hear Gretchen's annoying voice again. Just saying.

And her look was complete crap. I'm not sure it would sell at KMart.

DarrellH
10-15-2010, 04:45 PM
If, in future seasons, they bring back more challenges from previous seasons, I'd love to see the one where they have to design an outfit for each other.

Isn't it usually in the last episode before Fashion Week that most of the designers implode? It's sort of traditionally been a bad episode for the designers.

zaphyre14
10-15-2010, 04:52 PM
I liked the way Michael C's dress looked while the model was walking, but not so much when she was standing still. Maybe that's what the judges saw? I just through it would have looked better in some kind of color. Mondo's taste isn't mine although I credit him for some interesting designs. I liked Andy better at the beginning, but he seems pretty nice so I'm glad he made it through to Bryant Park. April was too goth and wimpy and Gretchen was just nasty and boring so I wouldn't have cried if either of them had been auffed. I thought both of them designed for themselves and not for other people.

danceronice
10-15-2010, 05:01 PM
I think the dress/fabric and lining must also be more spectacular in person, and IIRC this has happened before--the judges ooh and aah over something that even people with HD TVs can't see at home. Which implies the biggest problem is the lighting--it always seems too dark in runway shots for me, and when everyone uses black fabrics or other superdark colors and little details like seaming and lining? We can't see and have to take the judges at face value.

Zaphyre--that was part of it for me. I was SURE he was a gonner when it was on the manequin, she turned the corner and I was like CRAP that is split (love it) and it MOVES. Then she turned around and I loved the back. I would just love it in another color. Pastels might take it too far to bridal, but a pretty blue, a warm red-family color, even graduated dyed pastels...just not funeral black. (Again, though, even all other things being equal if he'd made a green Statue of Liberty gown I think he'd have been gone.)

ETA: But then I am rather fond of Austin Scarlet's penchant for floaty drapy pretty so I may not be the right person to judge. Still, Michael, Andy, and Mondo were the clear "top three".

love skating
10-15-2010, 05:08 PM
I was shocked that the judges loved Michael C.'s dress. When I saw it, I thought it was so boring and simple that he was for sure gone. I thought all five designs though were things we've seen before from all the designers. I was disappointed in the designs this week. I guess they really are all burned out.

cruisin
10-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Pastels might take it too far to bridal, but a pretty blue, a warm red-family color, even graduated dyed pastels...just not funeral black. (Again, though, even all other things being equal if he'd made a green Statue of Liberty gown I think he'd have been gone.)

Actually, I think you hit it, ombre would have been perfect. Not too extreme, but subtle. Though I would have done it in darker hues, not pastels. Lighter on top to dark at the bottom, with the banding matching the bottom. - Nice call!

dbell1
10-15-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm baffled how they didn't get annoyed over Michael not knowing what kind of fabric he used. They've ROASTED people before for that and he got a free pass? :huh: When Christian (loved him) brought it up, they just dismissed it, but it does speak to a lack of basic design knowledge. Going 'this is a nice fabric, I'm going to make a hot Statue of Liberty' shouldn't get you a pass.

Okay with Death Baby going home. Since the family visit and the backstory reveal, I now have a major soft spot for Gretchen.

Would love to see Mondo or Andy take this. Andy's got mad skills at short time structuring, so his final collection should be a stunner. (I hope). :lol: Or they could all come out in breastplates looking like video game babes...

PDilemma
10-15-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm baffled how they didn't get annoyed over Michael not knowing what kind of fabric he used. They've ROASTED people before for that and he got a free pass? :huh: When Christian (loved him) brought it up, they just dismissed it, but it does speak to a lack of basic design knowledge. Going 'this is a nice fabric, I'm going to make a hot Statue of Liberty' shouldn't get you a pass.

Okay with Death Baby going home. Since the family visit and the backstory reveal, I now have a major soft spot for Gretchen.

Would love to see Mondo or Andy take this. Andy's got mad skills at short time structuring, so his final collection should be a stunner. (I hope). :lol: Or they could all come out in breastplates looking like video game babes...

I'm willing to give Michael and anyone a free pass on the fabric thing just because they get such a short time to find it. I don't think they have much time to consider the finer points of anything in 30 minutes at Mood, or even the 45 they had for this challenge.