PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Rob
10-15-2010, 05:24 AM
Mondo's was my favorite. Michael's was nice but not inventive. Andy really transformed his look - it was awful at the beginning. You could put Gretchen's together at Marshalls. I didn't like April's. She has really been a one-trick pony; Stevie Nicks would have worn her stuff in her day.

LordCirque
10-15-2010, 06:10 AM
I'm only as far as judging. What are these judges smoking? Michael's dress was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Z I was bored with it before she even turned the corner back down the catwalk.

Everyone sucked this challenge.

Nomad
10-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Can't say I was terribly surprised that April got aufed although at least her dress had some visual interest. Gretchen's outfit was boring. Andy's dress was okay but nothing about it said Central Park unless that black fabric in the center panel had a woodgrain pattern on it. Mondo rocked it as usual. Michael C...I don't know. I liked it but wasn't wowed by it.

And next week Gretchen makes granny panties :cheer2:

PrincessLeppard
10-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I guess the main thing that irked me about the judging was them all yelling at April for doing black and cut outs all season.

Well, yeah. We've noticed that here. But they don't call her out on it until the final challenge? :blah:

Nomad
10-15-2010, 01:25 PM
They should at least be consistent about that. Mondo got called out on using hounds tooth again and yet nary a peep about Gretchen once again using beige and burgundy.

danceronice
10-15-2010, 02:07 PM
I think that in person, it might have far more texture and drama. The cut and the draping appeared to be great; but that said, it would have been interesting to see that dress in color.

I thought that until she started walking (I assumed 'sack' but a sack doesn't move like that), and I was really sold when she turned around. The back makes the dress. (I mean, for a start, it makes a runway model look like she has a figure other than "stick.") But it would have been nice to see color. However, if he'd gone for green (the obvious) I bet they'd have auf'ed him for being TOO literal, so it probably wasn't a bad choice. There was a lot of clever construction going on, though, and it LOOKED easy, which is killer. Fitting the back like that would be a nightmare if he really couldn't sew.

In fact I wish just ONE of them would have used some sort of interesting color. Gretchen's was depressing (blah colors, rumpled, and cheap-looking) and everyone else went for black. Mondo's at least was broken up with the houndstooth (though I'm with nina, we HAVE seen a lot of that.)

And really, who else but Mondo for the win at this point? Heck, every other designer admits he should be at fashion week, and Michael C's interview on him summed it up--guy's got a vision. I was not IN LOVE with this, because it made his model look fat, but at least I could see where the idea came from and he was smart enough to throw out the...yellowish-greenish whatever ugly color sequins (Tim looked like he wanted to wash his hands after he touched that fabric.)

April did yet another blah boring design-school outfit where she TRIED to be clever with cutouts and weird shoulders that make the model look like she has no neck. Though I do give her a point for not putting her model in skanky little hot pants yet again. It was a little nasty of the judges to praise her for that all along (though in fairness a couple times they have said "It would have been nice to see it in color") and now toss her for it, but she IS a one-trick pony and a depressing one at that.

Andy's was awesome, but the challenge was be inspired by a New York landmark--that's what he got out of Central Park? What part has he been hanging out in?

And while I'm not sure how sincere she was being I found Gretchen's Tim Love a little worrisome--I'm hoping that was left in as a harsh reminder to the producers that the designers are closest to and mentored by Tim and even the ones who resist his advice come around, and not as a subtle "Bye, Tim." I mean, look in constrast to Kevtechen's temper tantrum with Heidi about the fabric--Heidi is not going to elicit a hugs response.

skatesindreams
10-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Mondo's design: the best of a disappointing group.

Andy's dress is another that must have looked better in person.
I thought it was too short and had too much of a "streetwaker" vibe.

I didn''t see anything memorable in Michael's design.

I liked Grechen's jacket.

April doesn't seem able to do anything other than the "Dark Goth" that she loves...so, she's gone,

Lucy25
10-15-2010, 02:46 PM
I would like to see Michael's dress in person. I liked it, but didn't get the WOW the judges had for it. It just must not translate well on TV. The fit was great and looked fabulous on her backside. The movement of the material was wonderful. I would have liked to see it in a very dark blue or green, though.

Mondo has incredible tailoring skills. I still am not a fan of his mixing of prints, but think that last night's dress was my favorite of all his designs.

I am not surprised that April was sent home. I have not liked many of her designs and thought last night's was particularly ugly.

It was quite bitchy of Gretchen to make her comment about getting a second chance like the others, but she is right. It is just one of those things that she should have said to herself.

I am sad that the season is almost over! This has not been a thrilling season, but I will miss watching it. Next one not till January?

millyskate
10-15-2010, 02:48 PM
All of Gretchen's clothes look like they are made from fabrics from a 1970's living: the skirt from the curtains, the jacket from the sofa.... all her models would fit very well in the "inspector Derrick" 1970s German policeman series.

April is a one trick pony, and I can't believe she didn't take Tim Gunn's advice to put in some colour. It appeared obvious she was going to get called out on it eventually.

I liked Michael C's back but thought Mondo and Andy had better designs.

Beefcake
10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
:yawn:

Impromptu
10-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Michaels dress looks like a big boring sack on tv. It must not translate well on camera, because I don't at all get the love for that dress.

I know! It looked like something that could have been created by threading a rope through the fabric then tightening the rope around the model. But then he won a previous challenge with the same kind of trick so maybe it looks better in person.

Nomad
10-15-2010, 03:47 PM
April is a one trick pony, and I can't believe she didn't take Tim Gunn's advice to put in some colour...

She had some dark blue fabric - she probably put it under the black chiffon, where it disappeared.

Aceon6
10-15-2010, 03:48 PM
I was WTF over MC's, but I took a look at the pictures on rate the runway. It had some sort of lining with a diagonal stripe effect that you could only see from the side when the slit was wide open. If it was lined, that in and of itself is a technical feat. Most jersey isn't lined because it's so difficult to get the lining to move with the garment.

sk9tingfan
10-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Mondo's design: the best of a disappointing group.

It's interesting that this is not the first time when the designers were given free reign to design whatever they liked based on an inspiration and really came up short. The same thing happened during the season the LeeAnn Marshall won. I think that at this point, they are all so exhausted by the challenges that they have no reserves from which to draw. Even Mondo who seems to be an unending source of ideas was strung out.

skatesindreams
10-15-2010, 04:05 PM
That's one of the reasons why I hate the "surprise" challenges.

With the "extras"; given the importance of the goal they are attempting to reach, "empty" concepts at the end of the competition seem common.