PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Sparks
10-08-2010, 11:10 PM
No sequined hats, I don't really give technical reviews, and I can't sew on a button. But I did work at the store pictured here for a while: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/business/17weiser.html And none of it fits, but I have the most fabulous stuff from the late 70s and 80s (like a Thierry Mugler shark shoulder suit).
I would LOVE to see a photo of said suit.

Rob
10-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I have a photo of me in said suit so I will have to see if I can scan and post. It is a hoot.

Nomad
10-09-2010, 12:29 AM
I wonder... and don't crucify me for this... what are all of your fashion credentials? I've seen a lot of skating fans, and I have to say that many are fashion challenged, and I wonder if the ones who post here giving technical reviews are the same ones I see at Skate America wearing sequined hats and sweatsuits? Just wondering...

I worked for a global clothing manufacturer for 7 years. I started out assisting the pattern-making dept., then for several years I managed the designers' budgets (and wish I had a dollar for every over-budget designer who laughingly said "I went to Pratt/Parsons/Pollyanna; I'm really more of a visual person." :rolleyes: Like that means you can't count money?). I also worked in Product Management right before I got laid off. It wasn't high fashion (despite what some of our more diva designers thought) but I feel I have some knowledge to back up my armchair critiques. As for what I personally wear, I only follow trends that actually flatter my shape. I got rid of the "LOOK AT ME AND HOW FUN/AVANT-GARDE/UNIQUE I AM!" wardrobe when I was in my mid twenties.

nerdycool
10-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I wonder... and don't crucify me for this... what are all of your fashion credentials? I've seen a lot of skating fans, and I have to say that many are fashion challenged, and I wonder if the ones who post here giving technical reviews are the same ones I see at Skate America wearing sequined hats and sweatsuits? Just wondering...While I'm not the most fashionable person around, I do have some standards! :)

That said, I actually really liked Michael C's designs. Maybe not the colors he chose, but the actual designs were good. But I can see where he was in the bottom 2... none of his pieces actually went with Heidi's line. As a separate challenge, I think they would have done very well.

Loved Andy's designs and am glad he won, although Mondo was a very close second. Honestly, I think the fact that Mondo won 3 times in a row hurt him, as maybe the judges wanted to spread the love around.

I almost spit out my drink laughing when Ivy was talking about karma always finding you and then it cuts to her getting a broken needle in the eye. Serves her right... getting bold and stirring up $hit now that she's been auffed.

But overall, I was confused by the terms they throw around and then show examples of what they mean. Like, to me, active wear is something I would work out in. But then Heidi's line trots out, and I don't see one thing I could actually work out in. Everything's so baggy that I'd trip over it, or it would fall off my shoulders, and I'd constantly have to stop to pull whatever back up. Just because something's made out of sweatshirt material, it doesn't mean it's automatically "active wear." I dunno. That's just my opinion on the matter.

duane
10-09-2010, 01:03 AM
Based on what I've read, I can't help but feel he manufactured all of this himself and purposely made people hate him so he'd get sympathy and support from editing and viewers.
I disagree. Even now, Gretchen seems to be able to influence the other designers, and I think they were poisoned by her and Ivy's nasty comments about Michael C without getting to know him. The designers who actually worked with Michael C ended up liking him and enjoyed working with him.

Aceon6
10-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Based on what I've read, I can't help but feel he manufactured all of this himself and purposely made people hate him so he'd get sympathy and support from editing and viewers.

According to one of Peach's exit interviews, Michael C made no secret of trying to get the attention of the producers from the beginning. Seems he wanted his own reality show. She didn't find his behavior all that endearing.

Seems he's calmed down a bit and is at least trying to appear interested in the competition.

Nomad
10-09-2010, 02:09 AM
Am I the only one who was more than a bit :confused: by Gretchen's little pep talk to Michael C last night? Does she have multiple personality disorder? Does she have this uncontrollable urge to have a say in everything around her? What the hell was up with that?

Allen
10-09-2010, 02:12 AM
Am I the only one who was more than a bit :confused: by Gretchen's little pep talk to Michael C last night? Does she have multiple personality disorder? Does she have this uncontrollable urge to have a say in everything around her? What the hell was up with that?

Whatever it was, it came off incredibly fake to me. She may have genuinely meant what she said, but you don't totally throw someone under the bus multiple times and then try to give them moral support.

duane
10-09-2010, 02:43 AM
According to one of Peach's exit interviews, Michael C made no secret of trying to get the attention of the producers from the beginning. She didn't find his behavior all that endearing.
Again, I think Peach was poisoned by Gretchen and Ivy and really didn't know him. No one seemed to like Michael C, but it seems it was mostly due because they didn't respect his design/sewing skills...and when he won two competitions, jealousy increased their dislike for him. I think if Mondo had been kicked off the show before he actually worked with Michael C, he probably would have said less-than-kind words about him as well.

RockTheTassel
10-09-2010, 04:06 AM
But Michael C has displayed fake behavior as well. Remember a few episodes back where he said nice things to Gretchen, then said he didn't mean them but wanted her to think he did? They're both fake to each other. :rolleyes:

I'm getting tired of Gretchen's sense of entitlement and Michael casting himself as a victim. Hopefully they'll get eliminated together next week.

BigB08822
10-09-2010, 04:29 AM
I just want to say that Ivy is one of the most EVILLE people I have ever seen on a reality show. The sad part is most of the villains do it for attention, to make it on the all-star cast, to guarantee work after the show, etc. I don't think that is her intention at all, I think she is just plain mean.

Allen
10-09-2010, 04:45 AM
Maybe I'm cynical, but nothing has ever made me feel even the least bit sorry for Michael C. Based on Peaches interviews, I don't think Gretchen and Ivy informed her opinion of Michael C. I think she came to her own conclusions and those weren't particularly favorable.

Every time he starts the sob story of how everyone is so mean to him and no one wants to congratulate him, I just :rolleyes: (I must say though, I don't think he's as untalented as Gretchen Inc. seems to believe, but I just can't stand something about his personality).

I don't find Ivy to be that big of a villain, just a bitter person with an acid tongue.

shan
10-09-2010, 05:59 AM
I've enjoyed these last week's without Ivy and her negativity. Even Gretchen wasn't quite as annoying. I found Ivy very bitter and hateful toward Michael C. I know we only see a small portion of what is actually filmed, so maybe we're missing what horrible thing Michael did to Ivy to get this reaction. I was sad to see the whirlwind of negative drama come back this week. Thank goodness it was only during part of the show.

Heidi's designs = all kinds of ugly and I felt bad that the designers had to be "inspired" by that dreck. I thought Andy's were the most interesting, although those pants with the white pattern were kind of strange.

Has April made any garments in anything other than black??? I can't believe she hasn't been dinged for that. She's kind of ho hum these days.

Yay for Christopher being gone, I know you all love him, but his designs are so forgettable.

LordCirque
10-09-2010, 06:25 AM
My fashion credentials? I'm gay! :rofl:

Aceon6
10-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Again, I think Peach was poisoned by Gretchen and Ivy and really didn't know him. No one seemed to like Michael C, but it seems it was mostly due because they didn't respect his design/sewing skills...and when he won two competitions, jealousy increased their dislike for him. I think if Mondo had been kicked off the show before he actually worked with Michael C, he probably would have said less-than-kind words about him as well.

Christopher's exit interview backs Peach up on this one. In different words, he said that Michael C gave a very bad first impression. When the designers didn't get all cozy with him (MC), MC got all quiet and didn't interact with them much, reinforcing their "not one of us" impression. It wasn't until later that MC started "opening up" (CC's words) and when people got to know him better, they thought he was an ok guy.