PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

LordCirque
10-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Plus, there are pills these days where you only take one or two pills. It isn't a laundry list of pills like it used to be. A very close friend of mine is Positive, so I've done a lot of research into meds for them and helped them search for what worked and what not.

I definitely think it was genuine, but I also think the producers then took the situation and milked it for all its worth. Love the fact that it does or not, it makes for FABULOUS TV from a producers POV.

For those of you that watch RuPaul's Drag Race, we had a very similar thing happen with Ongina when she won a challenge about HIV/AIDS awareness. She revealed she'd been Positive for, at the time, the last 2 years, and hadn't told her family either, but did when taping was finished, since she knew they were eventually going to see it, and didn't want them to find out while watching a TV Show.

I am hoping and assuming Mondo did sit down with them and eventually tell them.

Reuven
10-01-2010, 11:10 PM
(((Mondo))) :( How sad that he couldn't feel the unconditional acceptance in his family to tell them about his HIV positive status, but could share it with the others on the show. His comment about not wanting to ruin his mom's first trip to New York just broke my heart. However, he's managed to stay healthy and just put out some amazing work. Loved the inside of the jacket - it was finished so beautifully. I wish they had shown more of that lining. Even NinaGarcia went “Ooohhh” as the model took off the jacket.

PDilemma
10-02-2010, 03:15 AM
Laura Bennett on Mondo:

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/blogs/laura-bennett-blog/episode-10-recap

I like her more with every blog post I read.

LadyGray
10-02-2010, 04:30 AM
Since it is all I have to go by, I have to take Mondo at his word that his mom made him promise not to tell his father about his orientation and that he comes from a very strict Catholic background. With those things in mind, it occurs to me that the fact that he felt safer revealing his positive status in the heavily sequestered environment of the show than to his own friends and family in his real life says more about the environment in which he lives (and to an extent our culture at large, when coupled with the growing number of stories of teens who have to deal with LGBT bullying) than about Mondo himself. From the way his story was unfolding last night, I think he has been struggling with how to come out about his health status, and he happens to be in a place in his life where he can begin that process. More power to him. I've never (knock wood!) had to live with anything close to a socially-reviled disease before, so I won't knock him for how he chose to deal with telling people about it.

Anyhow, I was floored by his design last night. As for the notion that his winning designs could not have withstood the challenges of past season's winning designs, I think that had Mondo been challenged by designers of the caliber of Christian or Daniel or Korto, etc., he would have stepped it up a few notches. I think he has the talent to rise to the level of the challenges presented him; better designs by others would elevate his own designs. Remember, too, that the designers of the past had so much more time to finish their work... haven't almost all of this season's challenges been one day or two + a crazy twist (now make outerwear, even if you already made outerwear!)?

LordCirque
10-02-2010, 05:52 AM
His Couture dress would have been right up there with the likes of Jeffery, Christian, Seth Aaron, and the others. As would his look this week and in the Jackie O challenge IMO.

El Rey
10-02-2010, 07:53 AM
I think that what bothers me about it is the feeling of exploitation. I find it hard to believe that he would keep it from his family for 10 years and then divulge it in such a public way. I just don't see him as having grown that emotionally powerful from the show, that this was a totally natural thing for him to do. It feels a bit contrived. I genuinely feel compassion for him. And I do believe this has been awful for him, I just am not convinced there wasn't some theater involved for the producers.

But you also have to remember that in normal life one is not constantly interviewed either. He probably doesn't live close to his family or can at least avoid them. In a situation like this he's probably constantly being asked questions, which can lead to admitting things you normally wouldn't. It might have been instigated by the producers, but I don't find him disingenuous.

cruisin
10-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Laura Bennett on Mondo:

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/blogs/laura-bennett-blog/episode-10-recap

I like her more with every blog post I read.

Thanks for posting this, A really thoughtful blog.

But you also have to remember that in normal life one is not constantly interviewed either. He probably doesn't live close to his family or can at least avoid them. In a situation like this he's probably constantly being asked questions, which can lead to admitting things you normally wouldn't. It might have been instigated by the producers, but I don't find him disingenuous.

I do understand that. And, as I said up thread, I do not think that Mondo is disingenuous. I feel that the producers exploited him for the sake of drama. I suspect that he did reveal his health status in a moment where his guard was down. But, should the show have used it? On the other hand, the things that Laura Bennett mentions - bringing focus back to HIV in the art world and Mondo giving hope to others - are also valid. I guess, I just wish I didn't have an icky feeling that this was not totally Mondo's wish, that he was forced to deal with telling his family.

PDilemma
10-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I just wish I didn't have an icky feeling that this was not totally Mondo's wish, that he was forced to deal with telling his family.

Here's the thing--he knowingly made that print with the plus signs. Whether consciously of subconsciously, that very well may have been his way of finally putting it out there in some public way. He could have made an entirely different print. And, as I said before, I think maybe he needed some way to force himself to deal with the issue with his family. By revealing it on the show, he essentially gave himself a deadline for telling them. He very well may have tried to make himself do it before and found a reason not to (we saw this with his mother's visit--"I was going to tell her BUT..."). Once he went home after filming, he could no longer make excuses to himself to not tell, and he may have knew he needed that.

cruisin
10-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Here's the thing--he knowingly made that print with the plus signs. Whether consciously of subconsciously, that very well may have been his way of finally putting it out there in some public way. He could have made an entirely different print. And, as I said before, I think maybe he needed some way to force himself to deal with the issue with his family. By revealing it on the show, he essentially gave himself a deadline for telling them. He very well may have tried to make himself do it before and found a reason not to (we saw this with his mother's visit--"I was going to tell her BUT..."). Once he went home after filming, he could no longer make excuses to himself to not tell, and he may have knew he needed that.

Good point. Avoidance begets avoidance. This may have been his way to, no going back, force himself to confront his family and his own fears. I sincerely hope that is the truth of what happened.

skatesindreams
10-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Keeping the "secret" was increasingly difficult/destructive, for Mondo, I suspect.
"Forcing" the issue as he did, was probably necessary/best for him, given his reaction.

ArtisticFan
10-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I think Chris should have gone home too. He's so boring I didn't even realize he was on the show til the 5th episode or so. All sudden he was there and I was like who is that? Where did he come from?

I am always surprised to see him, as he never hits my radar in the moments that I think about the show. If I was to list the contestants still on the show I would never remember him.

That either says that he is boring and offers nothing to the camera. Or he is being overshadowed by others.

Nomad
10-03-2010, 08:08 PM
He's a nice, quiet guy who makes nice, forgettable clothes. I don't expect that he'll continue to float through much longer, though.

Aceon6
10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
He's a nice, quiet guy who makes nice, forgettable clothes. I don't expect that he'll continue to float through much longer, though.

Agree. If you make mainstream clothes, they have to be spectacular like Rami's or Laura's. Anything less gets Nina's "boring" comment.

cruisin
10-04-2010, 02:30 PM
I also think that they have to make amazing clothes before they make mainstream, boring clothes. Let's be honest, Michael Korrs makes some gorgeous, high end clothing. But his MICHAEL Michael Korrs, ready-to-wear, more moderately priced garments are blech, boring, and ill fitting.

Marc Jacobs has a lower priced line (though higher priced than Korrs'), and it is as interesting and unique as his high end lines. Jacobs also designs the handbags for Louis Vuitton, he has his own high end line of handbags Marc Jacobs, and a lower end line Mark by Mark Jacobs. They are all well designed, they are all made with good materials. The only real difference is where they are made France/China.

haribobo
10-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Tim Gunn's video in re: the recent gay suicides, with a pretty shocking revelation....(ok, this is majorly off topic, but I figured PR fans would be interested)
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1601819254523