PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Rob
10-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't be a Mondo customer, but he is the only one who is growing as a designer - he is solidifying his point of view, but he is putting out new work each week. The others are kind of doing the same thing week after week or every few weeks. I agree he wouldn't be the star of prior seasons, but I think it is true that he is putting out fashion forward work (like it or not) while many of the others are doing department store label work. I am not going to judge him for revealing his secret to the world before he told his family. Once he'd done it, my guess is he told his family before the episode aired.

cruisin
10-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I am not going to judge him for revealing his secret to the world before he told his family. Once he'd done it, my guess is he told his family before the episode aired.

I think that what bothers me about it is the feeling of exploitation. I find it hard to believe that he would keep it from his family for 10 years and then divulge it in such a public way. I just don't see him as having grown that emotionally powerful from the show, that this was a totally natural thing for him to do. It feels a bit contrived. I genuinely feel compassion for him. And I do believe this has been awful for him, I just am not convinced there wasn't some theater involved for the producers.

As for HIV and disclosure. It really is tricky. I would never want someone to be penalized for having an illness. But, by the same token, I would want to know if I were in close contact with someone with HIV. As to the HIV virus dying on contact with oxygen, is that true? If it is how can it be transmitted through shared needles?

PrincessLeppard
10-01-2010, 06:31 PM
It's transmitted through blood in shared needles....

I think Mondo has grown, though. Remember at the beginning, when he felt really isolated? And also, he didn't reveal this "to the world." He divulged in a room with people he felt he trusted. That it would later be out there for everyone is true, but when he said it, it was in a more intimate gathering.

shan
10-01-2010, 06:37 PM
OK, so the FW show order is still in play. Next auf will be Chris, Michael D or, less likely, Andy. I think the "cheating" and "someone asked to leave" are red herrings. Bunim Murray isn't nearly as good as Magical Elves at being subtle.

what does FW mean?

All I can think is footwork and I know that's not it. :scream:

peibeck
10-01-2010, 06:44 PM
I think that what bothers me about it is the feeling of exploitation. I find it hard to believe that he would keep it from his family for 10 years and then divulge it in such a public way.

Based on the way he said his mother reacted about his coming out and how ashamed he felt, I do not find it difficult to believe he had not told his parents about his positive status. I don't believe he said that he had never discussed it with anyone. And it is quite possible that he had to reveal it to the producers in the process of signing on to do the show to begin with. Full physicals and mental health screening are (believe it or not :lol: ) often given to members of reality show casts as part of the screening process (or at least "better" shows like "Survivor," I can't speak to some dreck on MTV or VH1, etc.)

peibeck
10-01-2010, 06:44 PM
what does FW mean?

Fashion Week. ;)

emason
10-01-2010, 06:47 PM
what does FW mean?

Fashion Week.

ETA: Oops. I see someone beat me to it.

Aceon6
10-01-2010, 06:51 PM
And it is quite possible that he had to reveal it to the producers in the process of signing on to do the show to begin with. Full physicals and mental health screening are (believe it or not :lol: ) often given to members of reality show casts as part of the screening process (or at least "better" shows like "Survivor," I can't speak to some dreck on MTV or VH1, etc.)

Not to mention the precedent of Jack Mackenroth's status. He did not hide his HIV status on Season 4. For those who don't remember Jack, he had to leave the show due to a MRSA infection due to his compromised immune system.

Of course, Bunim Murray/Lifetime would like to live in a world where there was no Magical Elves/Bravo version of the show. I feel for Mondo, but we've seen this before.

LordCirque
10-01-2010, 06:53 PM
and I doubt Jack and Mondo are the only two HIV+ designers that have been on the show, they are just the ones that spoke openly about it, or made it far enough for it to garner a storyline.

emason
10-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Christopher was boring, as usual. As soon as he said his inspiration was water, I groaned. Has that worked for anyone on this show besides Leanne Marshall?

There was the fabulous gutter-water dress that Andrae did that lost by a whisker to the orchid dress of Daniel's IIRC.

Nomad
10-01-2010, 07:12 PM
There was the fabulous gutter-water dress that Andrae did that lost by a whisker to the orchid dress of Daniel's IIRC.

That's right. I forgot about that one. It was pretty fabulous.

hydro
10-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Of course, Bunim Murray/Lifetime would like to live in a world where there was no Magical Elves/Bravo version of the show. I feel for Mondo, but we've seen this before.

I don't think it's the fact that Mondo is HIV+, I think it is that he has struggled with it and kept it a secret. Not everyone is going to deal with obstacles in the same way.

While Jack had a support system and internal strength to be openly HIV+, Mondo struggled and that was why the reveal was so important for him.

And I think Mondo winning a couple challenges and being more accepted and sequestered among his peers probably helped him deal with it.

cruisin
10-01-2010, 07:51 PM
It's transmitted through blood in shared needles....

I think Mondo has grown, though. Remember at the beginning, when he felt really isolated? And also, he didn't reveal this "to the world." He divulged in a room with people he felt he trusted. That it would later be out there for everyone is true, but when he said it, it was in a more intimate gathering.

Again, I feel for him. But, though it was a more intimate setting, it was still in front of cameras. He, or someone had to know exactly what they were doing. this is "drama" and I guess I feel it trivializes the pain HIV can cause. I'm not blaming Mondo, I'm blaming the producers.

and I doubt Jack and Mondo are the only two HIV+ designers that have been on the show, they are just the ones that spoke openly about it, or made it far enough for it to garner a storyline.

And that's what bothers me - HIV as a "story line". It's Mondo's life and reality, not a dramatic highlight for a show. :(

shan
10-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Fashion Week. ;)

I knew I was going to say a big :duh: to myself when someone pointed out the obvious.

Thanks. :D

PDilemma
10-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I kind of call BS on at least his roommates at Atlas not realizing SOMETHING was up--he has to be on at least a few meds for it and it's hard to hide a pharmacy. My work roommate one summer had epilepsy/seizure disorders and even if she'd wanted to hide the pill bottles it would have been a major trick to do it.

People take meds for lots of things. And it wouldn't be that difficult to hide them. Put them in a bag like one would use for a shaving kit, make-up, etc...and take the bag in the bathroom with you to take them. And if he's hid this from his parents and other family for ten years, he clearly has plenty of practice hiding his meds.

He seemed too sincere to me for this to have been a Lifetime induced stunt. If it was a producer-induced stunt, then he should be up for some sort of an Emmy for his performance. I think his success on the show maybe emboldened him that he is valuable just as he is and doesn't need to hide anything. And, as others have noted, he had time between the taping and the airing of the show to talk to his friends and family. Maybe he needed that push to do it.