PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

haribobo
10-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Lifetime pooped out at exactly 9:30 yesterday, due to storms I guess, so I missed the last 2/3. Looking at the pics, Valerie made a gorgeous print but then failed to really use it. If she had made the whole dress out of it, she'd be golden, but instead went for a crazy top in black......sigh. Andy awful, Chris snore, Gretchen OK, April good, Michael not bad, Mondo great (though not as good as last 2 weeks). Chris really needs to go next week, he's been boring us all to death for months now.

Aceon6
10-01-2010, 01:07 PM
OK, so the FW show order is still in play. Next auf will be Chris, Michael D or, less likely, Andy. I think the "cheating" and "someone asked to leave" are red herrings. Bunim Murray isn't nearly as good as Magical Elves at being subtle.

haribobo
10-01-2010, 02:07 PM
OK, so the FW show order is still in play. Next auf will be Chris, Michael D

Michael D was already auffed.

skatesindreams
10-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I realized Mondo's "inspratiom" before he revealed it.
I loved the jacket and top a little more than the pants.
The cut seemed a little odd.

Why does April continue doing shorts?

duane
10-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I think the "cheating" and "someone asked to leave" are red herrings.
Based on the promos, I'm guessing that Ivy (and other auffed designers) are brought back to assist, and she makes the cheating allegation against Michael. And, I suspect she is the one who is asked to leave and never return.

cruisin
10-01-2010, 03:07 PM
I liked Gretchen's pattern design (even though it wasn't really as original as other's), but it was too big and it was too spread apart. What she did with it was blah.

Michael C. The evil eye? How lame. I didn't mind his dress, but that's not exactly praise.

Valerie's was not as bad as the judges played it to be. It did have a "skating dress" top. LOL

Andy, he just gave it away last night. I guess last week, and the fact that he was so totally honest about not being "on" for this challenge, saved him.

I liked Chris' print and top. But the pants were pedestrian.

I really loved April's pattern, the inspiration, and the top of her outfit. But I agree with skatesindreams, she needs to stop (now) with the shorts. I would have given her the win. Just went back and looked at the photos on the PR site. April's was a dress, not shorts, but it certainly was short. I think the skirt could have been a bit longer and a little less poufy. Her fabric pattern is really art. When you look at it close up, you see the face in it and there is some red. It really is wonderful from a distance and in detail.

I was bothered by Mondo's admission last night. It was heart wrenching, but it felt exploitive. As in the producers played it for what it was worth. I am always bothered by people admitting some dark secret on TV, who claim their family (or whoever) doesn't know, because it would hurt them, then they tell the world. I hated his pants and did not like his mix of patterns. His print was colorful, but boring. He is adorable as a person, but I don't get the wonder over his designs. It's like he''s trying to channel Christian Lacroix and just doesn't have it in him.

I think April is probably the most creative talent, this season. but she is young and undeveloped.

skatesindreams
10-01-2010, 03:37 PM
I was bothered by Mondo's admission last night. It was heart wrenching, but it felt exploitive. As in the producers played it for what it was worth. I am always bothered by people admitting some dark secret on TV, who claim their family (or whoever) doesn't know, because it would hurt them, then they tell the world. I hated his pants and did not like his mix of patterns. His print was colorful, but boring. He is adorable as a person, but I don't get the wonder over his designs. It's like he''s trying to channel Christian Lacroix and just doesn't have it in him.

Mondo's family certainly knows now!
Not the best way to tell them, if they had issues with his orientation; or no idea of his HIV status.

I don't mind mixing of prints; but, I think that sometimes Mondo overdoes it. I wonder if he can be subtle?
I doubt that he'd be winning all of these challenges in a stronger group of designers.

Beefcake
10-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Ugh, a season that started out so promising has really gone off the tracks.

While still an above-average season of PR overall, and though Mondo has had some very very strong designs ... the number of :encore: designs for the season stands at ZERO. (Even the worst season, LA, had several designs that still amaze me.)

More impacting to the season has been that the extra 22 minutes seems to be increasingly filled with product placement, and -- in the case of last night's eppy -- overwrought drama. If they'd have cut Mondo's "I'm poz" content by about half it would've helped (and would've been more impacting, actually, as it got old and even more ploying toward the end).

The family visits were odd, and over-long, too. But far worse in the "too much of a good thing" category was Valerie's goodbyes. :huh: Did we need to hear all that? I "do" like the waiting room conversations and snarking, but Val's goodbying was so bizarre. I half expected her to say, "and I liked you best, Tin Man". :slinkaway

As for the judges. Sigh, again I cannot see how Gretchen got praise, faint as it was. That top was a 4-H project, complete with a horrid pattern. And those pants were odd, and yes that did look like a poop pouch. How does she get "top 3" and Christopher's similiar but better-made if-not-exciting similar outfit get dissed? Yes, boy is not memorable (in fact the editors seemed to do their best to cut him out of every scene; e.g. not even a second of his family photos/rememberances?), but c'mon judges ya gotta slam Gretchen when she puts out crap like that.

The fawning over that April got was even more :confused: than Gretchen getting her usual tongue bathing ... April's was a vomitocious mess -- a weird, frankensteinian Laeticia Hubert skating dress with things randomly sewed on ... i.e. just the kind of hot mess that has gotten many designers in prior seasons eliminated. Such :wideeyes: decisions this season.

Val's was poor, and she's been running on empty for weeks, so it's understandable that she was auffed. But Andy should've gone home ... yet again! Boy is every/other, isn't he? Good, then atrocious, fantastic, then atrocious ... rinse and repeat.

millyskate
10-01-2010, 04:04 PM
I was also bothered by Mondo making this admission on TV, especially in the light of his family not knowing.
I loved his design though. And its positive spirit.

I liked April's print. Not a fan of the permanent sour face personality though.

I was puzzled at the positive feedback Gretchen got, once again. To me it was the most boring design of the whole line-up. Whilst the print was ok, it was GREEN, again, ugh, can't she at least once use a non army colour?

I disliked Michael C's pattern. His dress was ok.

It thought Chris was going to go home. What a boring outfit! Nothing innovative. I didn't think the trousers went with the top, either.

:wall:

Aceon6
10-01-2010, 04:20 PM
I was also bothered by Mondo making this admission on TV, especially in the light of his family not knowing.

Remember, shooting wrapped a while ago. The designers get 6 weeks to prepare their collections for Fashion Week once the final 4 or 5 are known. He's had plenty of time to get in touch with anyone who is important to him.

Nomad
10-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Andy's outfit was horrible but when Valerie sent yet another saggy-boob dress down the runway I knew she was doomed. Although I didn't think her print was as bad as the judges said it was.
Christopher was boring, as usual. As soon as he said his inspiration was water, I groaned. Has that worked for anyone on this show besides Leanne Marshall?
And Gretchen in the top three again with those fugly pants and a top she's made before? Are they kidding?
As usual, I couldn't see what exactly was going on with April's dress; the skirt looked vaguely messy but maybe IRL the effect was different.
Michael C. Another cocktail dress. What a surprise.
Overall, though, I'm agreeing with the judges this week. Mondo was the clear winner and it was time for Valerie to go.

cruisin
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Remember, shooting wrapped a while ago. The designers get 6 weeks to prepare their collections for Fashion Week once the final 4 or 5 are known. He's had plenty of time to get in touch with anyone who is important to him.

That is true. However, it would seem that if he felt he had to hide his HIV status for 10 years, because of what his family would think, telling the world might be a bit extreme. Did he think his family would take it better if he told the world on TV? Don't get me wrong, I don't think his HIV positive is anything to be ashamed of - he apparently does, and he apparently believes/d his family does/would. I think it was a big drama thing. I wonder if it really was a secret, or if it was a production. I don't see Mondo as being that duplicitous, but...?

I would think that the producers had to know he was HIV positive before the show started. He was going to be in a situation where he could prick his finger or cut himself with a scissor, I'm sure they asked questions about health issues when they sign contracts. I know it seems unfair, but if someone is HIV positive and pinning a dress on a model, the model should know.

DickButtonFan
10-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I think Chris should have gone home too. He's so boring I didn't even realize he was on the show til the 5th episode or so. All sudden he was there and I was like who is that? Where did he come from?

danceronice
10-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I would have liked April's print SO MUCH MORE if she'd used it on a dress/shorts/skort/whatever that was a little longer and some color OTHER than black.

I actually rather liked Gretchen's print, but Michael Kors was right, it could have been more varied and it would have worked better. And I do NOT get the butt flap thing.

Didn't like Christopher's--didn't HATE it, but the print was nice but the outfit was, just as again MK said (dammit, I have to stop agreeing with him) it looked like it was on the rack in the store. Nice, but no wow.

Michael--I'm with Heidi, I didn't hate it that much.

Mondo--I can't be the only one who didn't like the rise on those pants. And did ninagarcia look a little uncomfortable or what when he explained the story? Like "Uh, I wanted a story, but..." I don't know if the judges were briefed in advance, or just prompted "Make sure you ask Mondo about the story behind his print if he doesn't volunteer it" and then got blindsided by the answer. They all looked a little "You're what with the which now?" when he explained. Maybe they were expected a dead-relative story.

I kind of call BS on at least his roommates at Atlas not realizing SOMETHING was up--he has to be on at least a few meds for it and it's hard to hide a pharmacy. My work roommate one summer had epilepsy/seizure disorders and even if she'd wanted to hide the pill bottles it would have been a major trick to do it.

ETA: I don't know if the producers could legally have asked him. It's not a situation where there's reasonable expectation for body-fluid contatct. HIV status, in fact, does NOT fall under the mandatory-reporting category for FOOD-SERVICE employees (you must report, and send home, employees who have Hepatitis A, any food-borne illness, and illnesses involving vomiting and diarrhea, but you CANNOT use HIV to fire or send someone home for the day. It's not considered a reasonable risk for transmission via food, so asking about it could get you a discrimination suit.)

I think it had to be past performance that axed Valerie and saved Andy--he's had a couple clunkers, and was the worst last night, but she's never turned out anything spectacular while when he's ON, he's ON. Boy can CONSTRUCT.

duane
10-01-2010, 04:54 PM
He is adorable as a person, but I don't get the wonder over his designs. It's like he''s trying to channel Christian Lacroix and just doesn't have it in him.
IMO, you hit the nail on the head. I also agree with skatesindreams that Mondo wouldn't be winning all of these challenges in a stronger group of designers. Because the field is so weak, his designs come across as bold and innovative in comparison.

I miss Casanova!

I know it seems unfair, but if someone is HIV positive and pinning a dress on a model, the model should know.
I disagree. The HIV virus dies immediately when it comes into contact with oxygen, so no model is in danger of becoming exposed unless she has unprotected sex with designer. I also suspect that HIV+ designers in the fashion world isn't all that uncommon, and that the producers don't see it as something they need to know about with the contestants.