PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

skatesindreams
09-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Gretchen and Fortuny: If that's what she was going for, massive fail. I visited the Fortuny museum in May - the dresses were on dress forms with just an ankle-high rope barrier around them. (I sooooo wanted to touch them.) Although the silhouettes might appear shapeless in a photo, they're not IRL. They're loose, but they fall in a way so you can see the wearer's shape. Unlike Gretchen's sack-like creations.

I believe that he often used a series of "drawstrings" on the underside, so that the fit of his designs could be customized for the wearer.

all_empty
09-24-2010, 08:15 PM
I have to say the judges were in rare form last night. Kors' entire "the only accessory this needs is a wand," complete with twinkly sound effect, had me in stitches. You could see the runway models laughing as well.

Mild spoilers below:

Mondo's final collection was great, but for some reason I find it a tad reminiscent of Seth Aaron's, who won last year.

April didn't use any black in her final collection, thankfully.

And Ivy, despite all the criticism, turned out a gorgeous resort-wear inspired line. I think when she's not under the clock, she can turn out beautiful clothes.

skaternum
09-24-2010, 08:26 PM
They lost my love when they said, "advertorial." :scream:

Beefcake
09-24-2010, 08:49 PM
They lost my love when they said, "advertorial." :scream:
Unfortunately, I think this is also the term to best describe Project Runway these days. Or maybe advertainment?

Poor Tim is given pages of advertainment script each episode ... every product must receive its 3 minutes (or more). Sigh, there goes 14 minutes of our extra 22!

emason
09-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Ivy's color palette hurt my eyes. Goodbye and don't let the tsunami smack you in the ass on your way out.

My Top 3: Andy, Mondo and Tim chasing Swatch around Mood - after that it was all downhill.

Gretchen's was absolutely awful. Should have been in the bottom instead of Michael C.

Sparks
09-24-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't really care who Gretchen was trying to channel...like Rob said, it still came out like a busted up Norma Desmond.
"MAAAX!!!"

FiveRinger
09-25-2010, 02:42 AM
As far as I am concerned, the judges got two of the top three right and two of the bottom three right. Everything else I'm seriously questioning.

Mondo won the challenge because he had two well done looks. His high-fashion look was clearly him, but it was unique. I would never wear it, but I loved it because it was intricate and so well made. I liked the ready to wear dress even better--I wish he would make me one! It was fab!

Andy redeemed himself from last week, for sure. A definite rise from the ashes, because after those Hammer pants he should have been gone. His looks were good, but I didn't think that they matched Mondo. They were out there, but weirdly so. The high fashion look just didn't look like anything anyone would wear.

Michael C and April should have been in the middle. They did what they do, and for the most part, they both did it well. I didn't like Michael's train. And I wish April would do some color. But, neither of those dresses had major construction issues, and they look like something that someone might actually wear.

Christopher, Ivy, and Valerie---they were all atrocious. Christopher would have been safe. At least his ready to wear look was decent. But that gown was just hideous. I wouldn't sleep in it. It was a toss up between Ivy and Valerie. I think that the only reason that Valerie was safe is that she has done a couple of cute pieces at the beginning of the comp. Ivy has been all talk from the beginning and hasn't backed up any of it. Maybe Valerie can redeem herself. But, it was right for Ivy to go. She has been talking about showing us what she can do and never did anything. No loss there.

nerdycool
09-26-2010, 04:47 AM
Gretchen's dress was frightening. I thought she risked being sent home for it. Her styling was even worse... since others have ended up in the bottom for styling, why not her?I think it might be that, though hideous as they have been, her outfits are usually complete. Meaning that everything looks finished (and finished well), as well as not having anything sacrificed because of time/errors. Others get into trouble because something looks crooked, there's an unfinished edge, or something looks like it was literally pinned on because they ran out of time (like what Ivy's looked like this week). I think that the moment she sends something remotely unfinished down the runway, she'll be on the bottom.

I thought Mondo deserved the win, although parts of me wished he'd not put the horizontal stripes in the back of his rtw dress. If they were diagonal like the front, it'd be awesome, although I do realize that perhaps he did that because of time.

ETA - I forgot to mention that I'm getting tired of Michael C's over-acted drama. The "poor me" act doesn't get very far when he's actively provoking Gretchen. I know she's far from being innocent in all of it, but if he really wanted to be portrayed as a victim, he should consider taking the high road.

uyeahu
09-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Michael C's "I've never been on the bottom before and I'm so nervous" was the worst acting I've ever seen.

I fundamentally do not get the judges love affair with Gretchen. There was nothing about her velvet robe that was attractive or flattering. Do.Not.Get. April should have been top 3 in her place and she shoulda been just safe with Christopher's hot mess.

Glad to see Mondo win though I kinda thought Andy's was a little better. It was too dark to photograph well and I think that may have been the deciding factor.

Goodbye Ivy. So glad to see the back of you.

shan
09-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I was so glad that Mondo won, for a moment I thought they were going to give it to Gretchen or Andy. Gretchen's was blah and shapeless, and stayed true to her previous boring work. Andy's looked like costuming for the Borgs on Star Trek.

Has April used any thing other than black for the last 3-4 challenges? I wonder if that's a reason why she wasn't in the top. Christopher's looked like toilet paper wrapped around his model, I was surprised he wasn't in the bottom with Ivy and Valerie.

Bostonfan
09-27-2010, 12:31 AM
I just finished reading Tim Gunn's new book. Interesting factoid: He didn't get paid for the 1st two seasons of PR. He was an unpaid consultant that just loved designing so much that he was happy to do it for nothing. Of course now he gets paid.

danceronice
09-27-2010, 04:41 PM
I just finished reading Tim Gunn's new book. Interesting factoid: He didn't get paid for the 1st two seasons of PR. He was an unpaid consultant that just loved designing so much that he was happy to do it for nothing. Of course now he gets paid.

I hope he gets paid more than the glue-sniffing judges.

poths
09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
I have to say the judges were in rare form last night. Kors' entire "the only accessory this needs is a wand," complete with twinkly sound effect, had me in stitches. You could see the runway models laughing as well.

Mild spoilers below:

Mondo's final collection was great, but for some reason I find it a tad reminiscent of Seth Aaron's, who won last year.

April didn't use any black in her final collection, thankfully.

And Ivy, despite all the criticism, turned out a gorgeous resort-wear inspired line. I think when she's not under the clock, she can turn out beautiful clothes.I think April's final collection is the best and should win.

Mondo's is quirky, but quirky just won last year.

Getchen and Michael C also put nice collections together.

I can't decide if the final will be Gretchen - Andy - Mondo

Or Gretchen- April - Mondo
Perhaps all 4? perhaps a quartet that would include Michael C? leaving out April or Andy?

Either way, top 5 IMO is Mondo, Gretchen, Andy, April, Michael C.

DubbalinGirl
09-30-2010, 02:47 AM
Has anyone seen the latest commercials for the rest of this season? Super-scandal, will leave you talking forever, worst you ever saw. They have Mondo saying something like "this was the hardest secret I've had to keep" and Tim saying "allegations of cheating". Flashes of Michael C and a model's mouth sucking on a straight pin.

The suspense is killing me!

PrincessLeppard
09-30-2010, 03:45 AM
I dunno. The last cheating scandal was sort of meh. I can't even remember who it was.