PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

duane
08-27-2010, 04:50 PM
I LOVED this episode!! The icing on the cake would have been for Gretchen to be sent home, but having her ego deflated before the judges--and then Tim's read of her--made it all worthwhile.

The military/lace team rocked!! And, Peach's model looked awesome.

cruisin
08-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Totally agree about Gretchen, she is vile. Before they went in for the critique, but knew they lost, she was the one who initiated the "we won't single anyone out for blame" strategy. Probably thinking that the others would say that she was the one running the show. But once they got out there she threw Michael under the bus in a heartbeat, and the other's just followed like lemmings.

The men's wear/camel combo could have produced some fabulous designs. Coats, jackets made of sumptuous fabrics with olive green, brown, burgundy, terra cotta. I honestly didn't think military with lace had a chance when I heard the selected style/color/fabric choices. They blew it big time.

Aceon6
08-27-2010, 06:18 PM
The men's wear/camel combo could have produced some fabulous designs. Coats, jackets made of sumptuous fabrics with olive green, brown, burgundy, terra cotta. I honestly didn't think military with lace had a chance when I heard the selected style/color/fabric choices. They blew it big time.

Military with lace gave everyone on the team a chance to shine. Want Goth? Check. Prep? Check. Tailored sportswear? Check. Although no one did it, there was even room for an evening gown. April was smart to lead the charge for military and 'Nova was smart to push for the lace.

When Wretchen was doling out tasks, she only considered the folks she thought were strong. Michael C and AJ were afterthoughts. AJ would have thrived on Team Underdog.

Nomad
08-27-2010, 07:11 PM
I really wanted Gretchen to go but knew she wouldn't for the reason stated in danceronice's fabulous post. Tim's smackdown at the end was the best moment of the entire episode.

RockTheTassel
08-27-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't get the huge gripe with Gretchen. Yes, she's bossy, opinionated, and often annoying. But she does have some talent to back it up (not as much as the judges seem to think, but some). She isn't manipulative and never screwed with anyone the way season one's Wendy did. That comparison is really harsh.

Tim's comments were also somewhat unfair, imo. Gretchen did take over the team and spoke for them, but others could have stepped in if they'd wanted to. With the exception of Ivy, no one on her team really seemed eager to speak. And AJ definitely deserved to go home. He hasn't had any good designs, and the only thing he made this week was that awful shirt dress. Even if you hate Gretchen, you have to admit it would have been unfair to send her home instead.

Actually, the one person I can't stand is April. She keeps calling herself creative and says nasty things about the other designers, yet she's one of the worst of the bunch. She made a freaking diaper last week and still thinks she's better than some of the top people. She's arrogant and clueless.

uyeahu
08-27-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't see how you can say Gretchen isn't Manipulative. She may not have manipulated them into letting her be the boss, but she sure spun into damage control after the runway and manipulated them into agreeing that they shouldn't point fingers and that the collection didn't look like any one designers work (ie: Gretchens). She KNEW that she was primarily responsible for that collection and she would have happily taken credit for it if the judges had liked it. It was only when they ended up at the bottom that she washed her hands of responsibility and manipulated the others into agreeing not to blame it on any one person or see it as HER collection.

ETA: Tom and Lorenzo have a great post about Gretchen (http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/08/pr-thirty-three-faces-of-gretchen.html) up on their blog. SO funny.

"Okay, so they hated your collection. You guys probably didn't see that coming. Well, you know what I think? I think you all should stand by your collection. I think you should all agree that you're all collectively responsible for this collection, right? Certainly there was no one person in charge, who went around telling everyone what to do and making almost every creative decision single-handedly, you guys. Haha! The idea! Certainly you can all agree to THAT."

duane
08-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't get the huge gripe with Gretchen. I actually had no gripes with Gretchen until her Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde moment during judging. She went from oh-I'm-so-proud-of-our-collection-and-think-we're-all-winners to our-collection-is-crappy-and-Michael C-has-no-talent. I don't think I've ever seen someone do a 180-degree turn so quickly.

haribobo
08-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Wendy Pepper was a real person with a point of view. Sure, she was a little batty, overstrategized, and generally confused about what kind of show she came on, but at least she was legit, talented, and stood for something. I'll always say KaraSaun was the WYTCH of that season, NOT Wendy.

Gretchen is more like KaraSaun minus the talent. Fake, entitled up the wazoo, and condescending. And for some reason, they both had the ability to gain followers. The reason I loved Jay so much in the season 1 finale is that he (along with Wendy) basically called KaraSaun out on her BS and stopped enabling her bratty behavior. I hope someone besides Tim can stand up to Gretchen if she continues to behave this way. She is NAUSEATING.

Aceon6
08-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Wendy Pepper was a real person with a point of view. Sure, she was a little batty, overstrategized, and generally confused about what kind of show she came on, but at least she was legit, talented, and stood for something. I'll always say KaraSaun was the WYTCH of that season, NOT Wendy.

Gretchen is more like KaraSaun minus the talent. Fake, entitled up the wazoo, and condescending. And for some reason, they both had the ability to gain followers. The reason I loved Jay so much in the season 1 finale is that he (along with Wendy) basically called KaraSaun out on her BS and stopped enabling her bratty behavior. I hope someone besides Tim can stand up to Gretchen if she continues to behave this way. She is NAUSEATING.

Upon second thought, you're right about KS. I had forgotten about the shoes and the missing receipts!

As for Wretchen, watch the other designers creating a bit more personal space next week. Wonder if we'll see more people interacting with Christopher and 'Nova?

Nomad
08-28-2010, 12:10 AM
I don't get the huge gripe with Gretchen. Yes, she's bossy, opinionated, and often annoying. But she does have some talent to back it up (not as much as the judges seem to think, but some). She isn't manipulative and never screwed with anyone the way season one's Wendy did. That comparison is really harsh.

Tim's comments were also somewhat unfair, imo. Gretchen did take over the team and spoke for them, but others could have stepped in if they'd wanted to. With the exception of Ivy, no one on her team really seemed eager to speak. And AJ definitely deserved to go home. He hasn't had any good designs, and the only thing he made this week was that awful shirt dress. Even if you hate Gretchen, you have to admit it would have been unfair to send her home instead.

Actually, the one person I can't stand is April. She keeps calling herself creative and says nasty things about the other designers, yet she's one of the worst of the bunch. She made a freaking diaper last week and still thinks she's better than some of the top people. She's arrogant and clueless.

I can't agree with that, sorry. A lot of (if not most of) Gretchen's decisions were what cost Team Luxe the win. She had a hand in almost every look, and the judges hated every look. And rightly so. And it seems that you missed the part where she said "We're not going to blame anyone" and then promptly threw Michael C under the bus. She totally desrved to go home even if AJ's shirt-dress sucked.

lash
08-28-2010, 12:23 AM
ETA: Tom and Lorenzo have a great post about Gretchen (http://tomandlorenzo2.blogspot.com/2010/08/pr-thirty-three-faces-of-gretchen.html) up on their blog. SO funny.

holy shit. In the immortal words of Rachel Zoe.....I die. That was awesome, as was the entire episode.

RockTheTassel
08-28-2010, 12:40 AM
I understand that Gretchen was mostly responsible for the collection. For that, I think she was rightfully in the bottom two. But she was not the team leader. She may have talked more than the others and made more decisions, but there were no official team leaders. Any other member of the team could have stood up to her, in the workroom or on the runway, but they didn't and it cost them. That's the difference to me. If she had been the official team leader, I could definitely see the case for her being sent home.

As far as Michael C, pretty much everyone in the group said he was the weakest. I reallly don't understand why Gretchen is getting all the blame for that.

I do agree that her ramblings on the runway were bizarre and she was a total mess this week. I think she was trying too hard to please the judges and it backfired on her. She needs to stand by her opinions instead of trying to match them for the judges.

Gretchen definitely isn't my favorite person on the show, but I think people are being way too hard on her. I see her as someone whose flaws tend to come out more in a pressure situation like this show, but not as the huge bitch she's made out to be.

uyeahu
08-28-2010, 12:44 AM
I don't think Gretchen should have gone home either, but I do think she's manipulative and thinks she's smarter than everyone else and very condescending. I'm ok with AJ going home although I was hoping it would be Ivy. She really hasn't been very impressive and her look last night was the judges least favorite it seemed. She's also incredibly mean.

shan
08-28-2010, 02:49 AM
Best episode of the season and best runway critique in a looong time! The Tom and Lorenzo blog title "The Thirty-Three Faces of Gretchen" was perfect for her behavior on this episode. I do think she is talented but she needs to shut up and let others talk/have opinions.

I loved when one of the members of military/lace :rofl: at the "Grampa sweaters". And truly they made that collection even worse.

:respec: to Tim for the talk at the end. Honestly the whole judging panel felt like a group of students standing before their teacher trying to get out of some punishment. I still can't believe they stood there and said "We worked so hard and did our best." Ridiculous!

danceronice
08-28-2010, 05:12 PM

IAWTC. I think Wendy felt rather isolated and ganged-up on, and she came from a totally different background to most so of course she didn't mesh (though in the final three, she didn't have nearly have as many issues with Jay). I agree, I had more problems with KaraSaun--bratty, entitled, and while she was a good seamstress her final collection in particular was so derivative even I could pick out where she was borrowing from. The argument about the shoes was pretty revealing--"The rules don't apply to ME, I'm SPECIAL. Shush, Tim."

Gretchen pretty much has one thing she does (design for herself) and she doesn't make nearly as pretty clothes as KaraSaun. She also seems absolutely oblivious to how she comes across--not that she IS a sociopath, but there's something very sociopath/narcissist about her inability to take criticism. As was her "I made this crappy jacket and this ugly dress" tantrum. And her need to take over, dictate, and comment on everyone else's designs even before this episode. Then failure to take responsibility that she DID take over, WAS the team leader. Especially about her "I didn't do anything wrong, I don't know why people are so mean to me, I was just totally honest," boohooing after Tim called her on her BS. She either REALLY let those wins go to her head, or she's really not used to being told she's wrong or has done something poorly.