PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Reuven
08-22-2010, 12:09 AM
The sad part is, brown and pink can work great together, but she did it as this weird rickracky neck thing that decapitated her model.pink and brown together always make me think of Dunkin Donuts. ;)

meggonzo
08-22-2010, 01:29 AM
I actually liked AJ and Andy's, Peach's wasn't worth being the bottom which is why it wasn't (she sews well and it was reflective of the hat, which was the idea)--I think the auf was sorta fair in that it did look more or less like crap, but how was Casanova not in the bottom? Christopher instead? I wasn't AS enamored of his (I agree with the critique that it was heavy) but it CERTAINLY showed more thought than some. And Valerie in the top? Yes, it was more or less cute in pieces (the dress has been done, the bolero didn't match, the zip in back was weirdly random) but huh? There were better dresses that didn't look nearly as Misses' section at Sears nor as totally disconnected from the hat.

I didn't think Peach's was really that reflective of the hat. I think it was just that little ruffle on the waist that is killing me. I think she should have been in the bottom over Christopher or Casanova.

I don't really understand Valerie in the top either. Glad that Treacy called BS on that one. I agree about AJ and Andy, I thought theirs had more "look".

I can't even remember what Ivy's looked like, but what has she done to be all snarky about Michael C winning and she wasn't even in the top??

LordCirque
08-22-2010, 05:53 AM
I thought Valerie was zzzzzzzzzz and thought for sure she was on the bottom. I'm pretty sure if this was on Bravo, she would have been.

I thought FOR SURE Christopher was in the top.

I loved AJ's over all look, very 21st century Jackie O, but without the hat, the dress would have been very forgettable. I also liked Gretchen's look.

I was stunned Casanova wasn't in the bottom, BUT it did work well with the hat and it was made well, and if I was styling that hat, probably would have done a solid black dress, it DID work.

And I would have given the win to the other Michael.

cruisin
08-22-2010, 03:58 PM
I liked AJ's, but I'm not a big polka dot fan, so that influenced my opinion.

I don't understand why everyone so dislikes Casanova's dress. I have not liked his other stuff. But, this time, I thought his dress worked. I'd have made some changes (like turning it into a jumpsuit), but I think it solved the assignment.

skatesindreams
08-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I thought Valerie was zzzzzzzzzz and thought for sure she was on the bottom. I'm pretty sure if this was on Bravo, she would have been.

I thought FOR SURE Christopher was in the top.

I loved AJ's over all look, very 21st century Jackie O, but without the hat, the dress would have been very forgettable. I also liked Gretchen's look.

I was stunned Casanova wasn't in the bottom, BUT it did work well with the hat and it was made well, and if I was styling that hat, probably would have done a solid black dress, it DID work.

And I would have given the win to the other Michael.

My thoughts, exactly.

Nomad
08-22-2010, 04:21 PM
I thought Casanova's dress was okay. Unoriginal, but okay. It seems that when he goes conservative, the result looks derivative.

cruisin
08-22-2010, 04:40 PM
I thought Casanova's dress was okay. Unoriginal, but okay. It seems that when he goes conservative, the result looks derivative.

It was not terribly original. But so much of what we've seen over the years with PR has been unoriginal. To some degree everything's been done before. Even Seth Aaron and Christian Siriano were channeling designs and shapes that came before them. It's putting your own spin on it that can make the difference. I think that Casanova could have done a bit more with it. But, the dress worked. It had a great shape, it was made well, and it didn't fight the hat. Which I think answered the assignment. Sometimes less is more, and with the drama of those hats, less was (in my opinion) the way to go.

I've been opening fashion magazines lately and seeing cargo pants, military styling, and trench coats as the newest most incredible things. Um, been done, been done pretty much the same way, and will be done again :lol:.

Nomad
08-22-2010, 04:53 PM
^ I agree with you, I think Casanova's dress was one of the few that actually worked with the hat.

Beefcake
08-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Previews for Thursday's "team challenge" episode seems to be all about the Gretchen/DadMichael/Ivy bitchfest and their team flailing and failing (Christopher/AJ/Andy complete their sextet). "Ivy's going down!" "We all sucked!" ["alliances made then broken"] ...

So, of course, nice try Lifetime, but we should expect the other team to fail worse. And, seriously, how couldn't it fail worse, with the apparent talent disadvantage (bottom-feeders Casanova/Peach/April on the same team, along with Gretchen/OtherMichael/Mondo)? If not this, sigh, then I hope it's AJ going down from Team Ivy, as all the others are key ingredients to a thus-far strong season.

:watch: Tim's forceful soapbox advice to the designers/dissing of the judges to the (apparently post-runway judges' beat-down) ... telling them to not let "them continue to intimidate, [something else], and bully you". DadMichael crying, Peach looking very down-trodden, overall dark mood in the room.

Tim is truly fed up with the judges/judging. Wonder if his job is safe "no matter what"? He seems to be putting that to the test this season.

Nomad
08-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Tim is truly fed up with the judges/judging. Wonder if his job is safe "no matter what"? He seems to be putting that to the test this season.

I'm sure he has a contract for a number of seasons. The producers have to know that Tim is one of the main reasons we watch. It sure as hell isn't because of Kors' "witticisms" or Nina's taste or the incredibly deep talent pool of the contestants.

danceronice
08-25-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm sure he has a contract for a number of seasons. The producers have to know that Tim is one of the main reasons we watch. It sure as hell isn't because of Kors' "witticisms" or Nina's taste or the incredibly deep talent pool of the contestants.

Oh, god, Kors and ninagarcia are REALLY grating on me this season. They make the ANTM judges look suave and informed--heck, Kors makes Tyra look SANE. (I love Tyra, don't get me wrong, but the woman is on her own planet.) Tim is simply awesome. And the last couple seasons his opinions have varied wildly from the judges'--I hope they realize it's not Kors, ninagarcia, or Heidi that we want to see. Them we tolerate. Tim we love.

Re Ivy's design, I rather liked it. She made tricky fabrics work in an interesting way, and surprisingly sophisticated given the inspiration was hospital drapes. But it wasn't very bright colored and Valerie is apparently challenging Gretchen's inexplicable it-girl status.

Nomad
08-25-2010, 08:57 PM
I kind of liked Ivy's design, too. It's her color choices that drive me nuts. Light neutrals every damned week. I don't get why the judges are loving Gretchen and Valerie. Esp. Gretchen. I liked her first dress and that was it.

Beefcake
08-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Heidi is driving me the nutsiest, even moreso than Michael and ninagarcia. Poor thing, I really believe that she is only smart and witty while pregnant. C'mon, Heidi and Seal, just one more? And squeeze two seasons around those nine months.

But, yeh, the judging commentary is eating up much too much of the extra half-hour padding, and the "judges panel" has become a rehash of the runway comment to the designers. (And, sigh, Heidi repeats some of it one final time while auffing people.) I've begun to FF through the Heidi/Kors/ninagarcia/guest conversation.

When we said we wanted to hear more about the designs, Lifetime & Heidi, we meant we wanted to hear commentary on MORE of the designs/designers! Why can't it be eight designers getting feedback? Hmmm?

Jubak
08-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Boy, I hope this season gets better because I don't really think any of these designers have anything special to offer. Most of their construction is poor and nothing is particulary original. Gretchen's pants & top are not anything that you couldn't find in the average mall. She gets a billboard out of that. Maybe the show has just run it course for me.

all_empty
08-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Let's remember that they only have a few hours to make their outfits, and are tired from shooting their 1:1 interviews, etc.

Tonight, all the attitudes comes out.

I'm heading to the PR finale at Lincoln Center in two weeks and will let you know how the designs look in person.