PDA

View Full Version : Sew What's Up? Project Runway Season 7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

poths
08-20-2010, 05:49 PM
I used to watch this show and ALWAYS agree with the winner. Now it's got to the stage where my top picks wind up in the bottom! :slinkaway

They have to be doing this kind of shiz for ratings. :blah:

susan6
08-20-2010, 06:06 PM
First, may I say, I hated most of the hats. Some of them looked like they should have been on Dr. Seuss characters. The one Heidi was wearing looked ridiculous.

That said, I think most of the designers should have gone for very simple, sleek, structural outfits, to not distract from the hats. Wasn't the assignment to present the hat and blend?

I think the designers could have gone one of two ways here: British Royals, or Lady Gaga.

British Royals: design a tasteful and understated dress that goes with the hat but doesn't overshadow it; the intent is to highlight the awesomeness of the hat.

Lady Gaga: design an avant garde, envelope-pushing outfit that is perfectly topped off by the hat. The entire outfit + hat + styling should make a cohesive dramatic impact.

Nobody went the Lady Gaga route. I was disappointed. Some of the more wacktastical "hats" were blatant invitations to go big or go home. But I think with the time constraints the designers just decided to be conservative.

Nomad
08-20-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't understand why Valerie was T3. The zippers made no sense and the outfit didn't have anything to do with the mask/hat. I guess I'm okay with Kristen going - her designs always looked messy, but April's layered diaper was truly horrendous. Ugly and so ill-fitting it looked like the model had taken a dump in them.

Rob
08-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Haven't all of Peach's designs (since the first one where she got whatever someone else gave her) been short skirts with sleeveless or strapless tops with pink as the accent color?

all_empty
08-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Casanova obviously used some restraint in this challenge, and I thought the result was beautiful. Peach's dress looked age-inappropriate and totally throwback.

I liked Mondo's concept, but I thought his fabric choices were absolutely ugly.

I have to agree with the judges that the styling was partially Chris' downfall. The belt was too thick and shiny and the leggings were ill-fitting.

Nomad
08-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Haven't all of Peach's designs (since the first one where she got whatever someone else gave her) been short skirts with sleeveless or strapless tops with pink as the accent color?

Except for week 2 when she used brown as the accent color for white w/ pink polka dots. :wideeyes:

Rob
08-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Oh that is right - the brown choker. But it still featured pinky pink.

Nomad
08-20-2010, 09:12 PM
I hope she changes it up next week. I find her comments amusing and don't want her to be eliminated too soon.

PrincessLeppard
08-20-2010, 10:00 PM
I loved Heidi's hat. :slinkaway

Nomad
08-20-2010, 10:06 PM
One thing that had me WTF about this episode was that everyone stuck with his/her model even when they didn't like the hat. Or, in Peach's case, even when they didn't like their model.

cynthiabc
08-21-2010, 12:37 AM
It made sense to me that the designers stuck with their models, because of the time constraints of the challenge. A designer would know his/her model's measurements from fitting her for other garments, so fitting the new creations would go more smoothly. I think if they had changed up the models after the previous challenges, the designers might have been more willing to change things up.

cruisin
08-21-2010, 01:52 AM
I think the designers could have gone one of two ways here: British Royals, or Lady Gaga.

British Royals: design a tasteful and understated dress that goes with the hat but doesn't overshadow it; the intent is to highlight the awesomeness of the hat.

Lady Gaga: design an avant garde, envelope-pushing outfit that is perfectly topped off by the hat. The entire outfit + hat + styling should make a cohesive dramatic impact.

Nobody went the Lady Gaga route. I was disappointed. Some of the more wacktastical "hats" were blatant invitations to go big or go home. But I think with the time constraints the designers just decided to be conservative.

I agree with the Lady GaGa route. Not so much the British Royals route. I was thinking more early Donna Karan or Herve Leger. Even Casanova's dress, but I would have turned that into a jumpsuit with really skinny legs.

I loved Heidi's hat. :slinkaway

I don't like hats much, in general, so that's part of why I hated them. I could appreciate the design, but I really didn't like the flower ones.

danceronice
08-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Oh that is right - the brown choker. But it still featured pinky pink.

The sad part is, brown and pink can work great together, but she did it as this weird rickracky neck thing that decapitated her model.

IAWTC that it was supposed to be about complimening/showing off the hat, so...why the holy hairpins was Valerie rewarded for doing EXACTLY the opposite. I see giving some props for not going the obvious black-lace route, but the outfit and the hat/mask had NOTHING to do with each other at all. (And IIRC wasn't she one the hat designer himself wasn't OTT about, giving the impression it was Heidi, MK, and ninagarcia who wanted her in the top three?)

shan
08-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah he didn't get the outfit. I thought the dress was okay but that white shrug seemed out of place. The hour and a half is a bit long, but I love that they show the designers discussing each other's work.

cruisin
08-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah he didn't get the outfit. I thought the dress was okay but that white shrug seemed out of place. The hour and a half is a bit long, but I love that they show the designers discussing each other's work.

Yeah, that's why I said, before, if she'd done the shrug in black, it would have worked. The white just changed the whole feel of the thing.