PDA

View Full Version : Ellen leaving American Idol

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

shells
07-30-2010, 09:08 PM
Interesting that Nigel is rumoured to be coming back. He did make that mistake this week referring to SYTYCD as American Idol. Because of that, I'd believe that rumour to be true.

skipaway
07-30-2010, 09:17 PM
I thought Shania Twain was a good judge, though I doubt she'd want the gig.

Allskate
07-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Interesting that Nigel is rumoured to be coming back. He did make that mistake this week referring to SYTYCD as American Idol. Because of that, I'd believe that rumour to be true.

I hate to think of what he'll do to the show. It's very apparent from SYTYCD that he's very much about personality, looks, and backstory. I also don't think he's very broadminded. Blech.

I know that Jennifer Lopez did a mentor stint on Idol, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it. Not a good sign. I wonder where they came up with the idea of Steven Tyler. It will be an odd mix. I have a feeling they are doing this in a very random, chaotic way and haven't even bothered to get Randy, J.Lo, and Tyer in a room together to see how they'd work as a threesome.

BigB08822
07-31-2010, 01:11 AM
If the two new judges are JLo and Steven Tyler then I will be really disappointed. I don't mind either but there have been a lot of really good suggestions floating around and those two were never at the top of my wish list. Nigel comes across as a narcissistic homophobe and I do NOT want him on the panel. I can deal with anyone else but not him, please!

orbitz
07-31-2010, 01:18 AM
Nigel comes across as a narcissistic homophobe and I do NOT want him on the panel. I can deal with anyone else but not him, please!

Nigel only has issue with effeminate male dancer partnering a female. I don't think that's any different than people who don't want to see two guys skating together, for example, but it doesn't mean that they're homophobic. I don't think Nigel would care if a guy singer is effeminate, and he probably doesn't care if a guy is effeminate in his everyday life.

rfisher
07-31-2010, 01:19 AM
Nigel is an executive producer. I haven't seen anything about him becoming a judge. He can do more manipulating backstage than onstage.

FigSk8Fan
07-31-2010, 02:01 AM
Steven Tyler & Jennifer Lopez? Blah & blah :(

I was really hoping for Neil Patrick Harris (he was awesome as a guest judge!!) and Courtney Love (total trainwreck potential).

BigB08822
07-31-2010, 02:08 AM
Nigel only has issue with effeminate male dancer partnering a female. I don't think that's any different than people who don't want to see two guys skating together, for example, but it doesn't mean that they're homophobic. I don't think Nigel would care if a guy singer is effeminate, and he probably doesn't care if a guy is effeminate in his everyday life.

We will just have to disagree, I do not think that is his "only" issue, not by far.

Rex
07-31-2010, 03:11 AM
I was not a big Kara fan, but I don't think Jennifer Lopez will be any better. Maybe the celebrity factor will help in the ratings, but she seems just as bland as Kara.

Jennifer would be awful. She would turn it into The JLo Show. We don't need that.

shells
07-31-2010, 03:44 AM
I hate to think of what he'll do to the show. It's very apparent from SYTYCD that he's very much about personality, looks, and backstory. I also don't think he's very broadminded. Blech.

Wasn't he an executive producer on Idol before?

ArtisticFan
07-31-2010, 04:04 AM
Jennifer would be awful. She would turn it into The JLo Show. We don't need that.

I know that the professional dancers on Dancing with the Stars got quite pissed with her when she sang on the show. They had worked quite hard on a performance to one of her songs and she fought for every camera shot she could get. Some of the dancers complained that they were barely even shown because each time the camera guys attempted to show some of the dancing, JLo was supposedly bitchy about it.

numbers123
07-31-2010, 04:20 AM
I was really hoping for Neil Patrick Harris (he was awesome as a guest judge!!) and Courtney Love (total trainwreck potential).

NPH is probably too busy to do AI. Unless he gave up HIMYM or it gets cancelled...

RD
07-31-2010, 05:21 AM
Kara is very annoying, too. And I often didn't like her advice to the contestants -- or the way she delivered it. She's way too full of herself. She is the judge I'd most like to see go.

I agree. I stopped watching the show this year. I did not like the way she treated the contestants, especially near the beginning of the show. Came across as too condescending/too scathing. Maybe she didn't mean to be like that but she certainly came across like that the way she delivered her commentary.

Jennifer Lopez and Courtney Love make no sense. I don't see Jennifer being particular interesting, insightful, or entertaining.

Same here; that said, I'm willing to give her a chance. You never know until you see it for yourself.

The person I would least like to see associated with this show, though, is Nigel Lythgoe. He puts way too much focus on the judges, is far too into the back story and manipulating the voting

I agree that there has been a definite focus shift from the contestants to the judges, and it's not a good one. I think that will ultimately be the show's downfall, since the show was originally designed to give talented, undiscovered singers a stage, a platform to prove themselves. I thought THAT was what AI is supposed to be about. Not who will judge or feuds between judges, etc.

PeterG
07-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Can they cancel it now, much as we loved to hate Simon, I can't imagine the show without him.

:lol:

I read recently that American Idol has been the #1 show for the last seven years straight. Doubtful that Fox would cancel the top-rated show of the third milllenium. :D

And I'm not sure if much changes are needed. Sure, ratings are down, but that's true for all TV shows. No show has managed to bump AI off the top spot.

PrincessLeppard
07-31-2010, 08:10 PM
If the talent on the show is good, I don't necessarily think the judges will matter. I missed several episodes on the past season because I was bored and didn't care. If the producers serve up at least five interesting contestants (I realize the need for cannon fodder ), then I think the show will do okay.

If they have contestants like they just did AND lame judges, then it's over.