PDA

View Full Version : Pillars of the Earth, Starz miniseries based on the novel

Pages : [1] 2

Yehudi
07-29-2010, 02:28 PM
I know there are a lot of fans of historical dramas here. Starz has the first two episodes up available for viewing on their site.

http://www.starz.com/originals/thepillarsoftheearth/screeningroom#/episode-101-anarchy

Bostonfan
07-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm still in withdrawal from The Tudors. I'm not sure I'm ready to invest in a new historical drama. What do you (or others who have seen Pillars) think of it so far?

Yehudi
07-29-2010, 03:24 PM
I've only seen the first episode and while confusing, I'll hold off judgment until I've seen more episodes. I thought Spartacus was lame at first but got better and better as the series went on. The cast is great too (Donald Sutherland, Rufus Swell, Ian McShane).

StonewshMullet
07-29-2010, 05:26 PM
The book was amazing. After I read the book I sent Ken Follet and email gushing about how much I enjoyed it. He actually wrote me back and thanked me for reading it in the first place. As a result it has a special place in the literary portion of my heart; hopefully they will not screw it up.

HisWeirness
07-29-2010, 05:40 PM
DH just finished reading this book, and we have both seen the first two episodes on Netflix streaming. I'm enjoying it, but I generally like the whole medieval/Tudors English historical drama genre. ;)

The miniseries does not always follow the book (as DH has pointed out while we were watching), but where it varies it mostly does not affect the overall plot, you just lose some of the more intricate details and storytelling in the book. According to DH, the miniseries moves very quickly through the book's story. It's been helpful having him explain the relationships between the characters and their past histories because of this. Otherwise, I think I might be :confused:.

Can't wait for the next episodes!

Sassafras
07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Listened to the unabridged audio version of the book (41 hours!) years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. So far I've seen the first two episodes via Netflix streaming. Actually watched Episode 1 twice to get all the relationships straight.

Yehudi
07-29-2010, 08:42 PM
By the way, the war between Stephen and Maud (Mattilda) is one of the reasons why Henry was so obsessed with having a male heir. He wasn't certain that the nobles would be loyal to a female queen.

IceAlisa
07-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I thought about reading the series but changed my mind. My friend is a big fan so I'll be recording this from Starz for her. Looks rather violent.

zhenya271
07-30-2010, 04:41 AM
I've only seen the preview, but I think it looks fantastic-great lineup of stars! I just love Netflix streaming!:watch:

I've only seen the first episode and while confusing, I'll hold off judgment until I've seen more episodes. I thought Spartacus was lame at first but got better and better as the series went on. The cast is great too (Donald Sutherland, Rufus Swell, Ian McShane).

I got my husband into Spartacus because we loved HBO's Rome and Spartacus w/ Kirk Douglas is probably one of his all time favorite's, but I lost interest after the second episode as it seemed to be all sex and violence. He said the plot picked up as the weeks progressed. I guess they have to reel you in somehow. :lol:

Yehudi
07-30-2010, 11:11 AM
I've only seen the preview, but I think it looks fantastic-great lineup of stars! I just love Netflix streaming!:watch:

I got my husband into Spartacus because we loved HBO's Rome and Spartacus w/ Kirk Douglas is probably one of his all time favorite's, but I lost interest after the second episode as it seemed to be all sex and violence. He said the plot picked up as the weeks progressed. I guess they have to reel you in somehow. :lol:

The later episodes are still violent and there's still plenty of sex, but it really did get much better and the finale (which was very violent) was probably the best season finale I've seen in a long time. If the series ended with just that first season, it would have been a fitting end but it leaves just enough things open in case they renewed it.

Plus, John Hannah and Lucy Lawless were delicious as the scheming, social climbing owner of the ludus.

emason
07-31-2010, 01:42 AM
The book was amazing.

How nice for you that you thought so; my mileage certainly varied. I stopped halfway through when I reached another gratuitous scene of rape and torture that added nothing to the development of the villain. I found the whole thing to be level in tone and one-note, no highs and lows. You could not pay me enough to read the other half.

zhenya271
07-31-2010, 02:50 AM
The later episodes are still violent and there's still plenty of sex, but it really did get much better and the finale (which was very violent) was probably the best season finale I've seen in a long time. If the series ended with just that first season, it would have been a fitting end but it leaves just enough things open in case they renewed it.

Plus, John Hannah and Lucy Lawless were delicious as the scheming, social climbing owner of the ludus.

I heard that the main guy has just gotten his clean bill of health after his cancer treatment, so looks like the second season might be a go again.

Twilight1
09-04-2010, 05:16 AM
I just started watching it yesterday...and watched 5 episodes the last 2 days. I absolutely love it...but then Empress Matlida's son started the whole Plantagenet reign so of course I would be into it.

Quite interesting to watch the show, and having done a touch of research on the White Ship disaster, it does leave open the question on what truly happened to Matilda's brother William.

Jimena
09-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I haven't watched the last episode. I started really liking the series and loving the actors to finding it repetitive. I mean, how many times can they show an attack on Knightsbrigde (or however it's called)? But I'll finish it.

Twilight1
09-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I thought they rushed the series too much. They could have spread it out over at least 2 more episodes, but the series was still so good.

Makes me look forward to the Borgia's so much more now...