PDA

View Full Version : Concerts You've Walked Out of (and Why)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

smurfy
07-29-2010, 07:53 PM
I did not leave, but should have - The Cars - circa 1980. I could have stayed home, put on my album and closed my eyes. They were boring! Don't remember the warm-up band, but they got booed.

genevieve
07-29-2010, 08:04 PM
When I really young, my mom got free tickets to an Alice Cooper concert from a coworker. Judging by the name only (we weren't familiar with pop culture), I thought he was a country singer.

I'm sorry, but :rofl:

Anita18
07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry, but :rofl:
No need to apologize, it IS hilarious. :lol:

I'm more familiar with what's going on in pop culture now. :P

Gypsy
07-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Didn't walk out because I was waiting for the main act, but when I saw the Bangles open for J.Geils, they were awful. They were so off-key and boring.

Also wish we had left Pat Benatar's concert. Excellent sound, but she was so dull...she would go to one side of the stage and sway back and forth, then go to the other side...same thing. Over and over and over again.

My sister on the other hand did leave one concert. Black Sabbath She said she had such a headache and the opening band didn't help any either...Bloodrock.

skateycat
07-29-2010, 09:27 PM
I walked out of a Guns and Roses show, but mostly because I went to see the opening band TSOL. The trouble with their show is that I did not get the memo that they'd changed from punk to heavy metal. You'd think with the headliner I'd have gotten the memo, but no. I was a willful, inattentive teenager. :)

smurfy
07-29-2010, 09:44 PM
slightly off topic. Saw the Rolling Stones back in 1989 at the LA Coliseum. Guns N Roses opened for them. Talk about seeing 2 radically different types of people in the audience!

numbers123
07-29-2010, 10:24 PM
I didn't actually leave because of the concert, but because I was in labor.

Symphony - I think it was Handel's music.

Not necessarily a concert but.... Didn't walk out of but wished I had last Stars on Ice show that I went to as I was disappointed by calibur of skating.

Aussie Willy
07-29-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't know if this counts as a concert - more a theatre production.

I walked out of a production of Wind in the Willows that my friend's kids were in. It was awful. The dancing was terrible, it totally lacked direction and it took about 2 hours for them to get to Toad Hall. In fact I said to my friend "If they don't get to Toad Hall in the next 15 minutes I am out of here". They didn't so I left.

allezfred
07-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Went to see The Cardigans in Japan and the lead singer got really annoyed several times with the audience for not making more noise. I guess she felt they weren't being appreciative enough by buying tickets alone. :P

Plus some woman in front of us farted the whole way through the gig. :scream:

moebius
07-30-2010, 06:14 AM
I've never seen New Order live, but I heard that they did tend to play the more obscure songs. Bernard Sumner especially hated singing "Blue Monday" and wouldn't do it unless he absolutely had to. But of course, that's what the audience wanted to hear.

Saw New Order in 2005 and at least half of the songs I recognized. And yes, they did play Blue Monday.

I actually slept during a 2003 Calexico show, not because it was boring, but because it was the end of the work week and I was extremely tired. I only went b/c I got free tix. I hope the band didn't see me sleeping as I was on the side. After the show some dude said to me, "Hey, weren't you sleeping during the show?" I gave a sheepish grin.

I walked out on the Billy Graham Crusade b/c I started feeling out of place there. I'm an atheist and I only went b/c I was curious and it was free. Once they asked for the new Christians to gather in the middle of the arena, I figure it was time for me to leave. I lied to the nice lady who lent me her sweater as it was getting cold outside that I was going to the bathroom.

emason
07-31-2010, 11:56 PM
Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk. It wasn't due to the very explicit sex scenes but the fact that the guy who played the lead looked like he was hungover and kept missing many phrases. Plus he was ugly and I did not want to see him naked.

For me it was Alban Berg's Lulu at the Met. I had no problem with the music; I thought much of it was gorgeous. It was the woman who sang Lulu; thankfully I don't remember her name. This Lulu was the most boring, uninteresting cipher on stage, and she's supposed to be a femme fatale who is everything to all men. I left before the last act; I just couldn't watch this fascinating (not) woman one more second.

Myskate
08-01-2010, 12:51 AM
I've walked out on 2 concerts for the same reason. The first was the "farewell" performance of the Who at the Pontiac Silverdome. General admission seating and we ended up right in front of the speakers. First was The Clash whom everyone hated, the Eddie Money who was very good. I managed 3 songs from The Who and had enough. It took 4 or 5 days to get my hearing back. The second concert was REO Speedwagon. I won tickets and we ended up in the 4th row again in front of the speakers. We couldn't even understand the words. We left and gave out tickets to a couple of girls who were just thrilled to be up front.

essence_of_soy
08-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Don't know if this counts.

It wasn't a concert but a big - budget Broadway show that had won Tony awards for everything that year. As a backpacking theatre tragic in my early twenties, my hopes were high.

Well, Chita Rivera or not, Kiss of the Spiderwoman has to be the worst show I have ever seen. I liked the movie with William Hurt and Raul Julia. But they sang the same interminable song over and over and over. (It may have even contained those very lyrics!)

Nowdays, with tix way over the hundred dollar mark, I'm very selective about what I see. Paying big bucks for a boring night at the theatre is a big ask.

One show I would have loved to see (for all the wrong reasons), was Brittney's Trainwreck...I mean Circus.

PrincessLeppard
08-01-2010, 02:00 AM
Aerosmith in 1988, I think. They were awful.

screech
08-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Didn't walk out, but I wasn't impressed with U2. They sounded exactly as though someone had put on their CD. I don't like it when bands change things up too much during live performances, but please, try to fluctuate at least a bit from sounding exactly like your albums. Otherwise, to me, its a waste of money.