PDA

View Full Version : Does Mirai Nagasu have the talent to catch/pass Mao or Yu Na?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Eris
07-29-2010, 12:41 PM
What type of injury is it?
There is no information...

Frau Muller
07-29-2010, 06:43 PM
My simple answer: NBC sure hopes so!!! Otherwise, they and USFSA may have to trot-out Sasha one mo' time to pump-up ratings.

judgejudy27
07-29-2010, 07:34 PM
My simple answer: NBC sure hopes so!!! Otherwise, they and USFSA may have to trot-out Sasha one mo' time to pump-up ratings.

Which is strange in a way considering Cohen couldnt even manage to win a major title in a quad lacking a dominant skater like both Kim and Asada are (an oft injured Kwan, an oft ill Irina, a hit or miss Shizuka, etc...)

mag
07-29-2010, 07:52 PM
...There is nothing better than a solid technique to tame her nerves and get her through the program even in pressure situations.

:respec::respec::respec:

IMHO this is so true for all skaters. Confidence in your technique allows the skaters freedom to enjoy the program. I think of Scott Moir at the Olympics. There was someone who had absolute confidence in his abilities and was able to go out and really skate with joy. I can also think of a few Kwan videos I've seen where she has the same look - usually at Nationals. She had absolute confidence and it raised her to a level all her own.

museksk8r
07-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Which is strange in a way considering Cohen couldnt even manage to win a major title in a quad lacking a dominant skater like both Kim and Asada are (an oft injured Kwan, an oft ill Irina, a hit or miss Shizuka, etc...)

. . . and a post-Olympics Worlds in which she was the only Olympic medalist present.

olympic
07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
^speaking of Sasha, both she and Mirai were 4th at their first major competitions which happened to be the '02 and '10 Olympics respectively. Also considering her 70+ pts. in the SP at '10 Worlds, I think that Mirai may experience a lot of the love that intl. judges had for Sasha

Hedwig
07-29-2010, 08:49 PM
She could. I saw her practices at the Olympics and they were beyond fabulous. Better than anything she did in competition so far. So she definitely has the potential. For all from my group, she won practices every time.
Nerves are a factor but this was her first real year of international big competitions. Give her some time. I think she can be a contender.

judgejudy27
07-30-2010, 05:57 AM
^speaking of Sasha, both she and Mirai were 4th at their first major competitions which happened to be the '02 and '10 Olympics respectively. Also considering her 70+ pts. in the SP at '10 Worlds, I think that Mirai may experience a lot of the love that intl. judges had for Sasha

Remember she did that with a downgraded triple-triple too!

If Yu Na does retire (I dont think she will and I think she will be back for Worlds) then the ISU had better hope Nagasu can challenge Asada. Since otherwise Asada will probably romp to the next 3-4 World titles and the 2014 Olympic Gold unchallenged. Kostner, Lepisto, and Ando certainly arent going to challenge here unless she gets a huge injury, in fact probably only Lepisto will even bother staying until 2014 as the results of the other 2 will likely continue to slide. Rochette probably wont continue and even if she does probably wont seriously challenge Asada. The up and coming Russians? Well I guess we will see.

museksk8r
07-30-2010, 06:09 AM
If Yu Na does retire (I dont think she will and I think she will be back for Worlds) then the ISU had better hope Nagasu can challenge Asada. Since otherwise Asada will probably romp to the next 3-4 World titles and the 2014 Olympic Gold unchallenged.

Woah, getting ahead of ourselves, aren't we? Let's hope Mao doesn't approach the competition as if she has it in the bag. Who's to say Asada won't get a serious injury and see her results slide too? If skating has taught us anything, it's that this world is unpredictable. I mean, who in hell would have ever thought Sarah Hughes and Evan Lysacek would win Olympic gold? . . . I know I sure didn't, not for a single second.

Jenna
07-30-2010, 06:14 AM
I think she can certainly at least match them! She usually skates a clean short, but the FS is 50/50. She can either nail it (US Nats & Olympics) or bomb it (COC & WC). More consistency is certainly needed, but she has ALL of the goods in her arsenal. I look forward to watching her this season. She is capable of making the final and winning a medal at Worlds.

judgejudy27
07-30-2010, 07:47 AM
Woah, getting ahead of ourselves, aren't we? Let's hope Mao doesn't approach the competition as if she has it in the bag. Who's to say Asada won't get a serious injury and see her results slide too? If skating has taught us anything, it's that this world is unpredictable. I mean, who in hell would have ever thought Sarah Hughes and Evan Lysacek would win Olympic gold? . . . I know I sure didn't, not for a single second.

Well I gave 3 what ifs. Atleast 1, probably more of:

1. Kim staying
2. Nagasu actually improving enough to challenge Mao
3. the Russian ladies being for real

Will come to pass. So probably unchallenged Mao dominance wont happen anyway. I dont think she will be challenged by any of the returning veternans other than Kim however.

miki88
07-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Well I gave 3 what ifs. Atleast 1, probably more of:

1. Kim staying
2. Nagasu actually improving enough to challenge Mao
3. the Russian ladies being for real

Will come to pass. So probably unchallenged Mao dominance wont happen anyway. I dont think she will be challenged by any of the returning veternans other than Kim however.

I bet my money on that one. ;) Well at least for Liza. Normally, I wouldn't put too much hope on untested juniors but she's different and there won't be much questions with her technique since she's coached by Mishin. Plus, she's got the Plushenko vibe, which means less than stellar choreography won't hinder her too much because of that star presence that I already see from her. When Plushenko was young, he was also quite inconsistent but then he got older and became crazy consistent. Once Liza becomes consistent, she's will be quite a force.

query5
07-30-2010, 04:13 PM
she isn't the only us skater that can do it, but she still has alot of work to do. i know her rabid fans thinks she can do it now,
proved in the short -but yu-na and mao made mistakes, .
all the u.s. women skaters has to get more speed, height, clean jumps, no ur no edge call . they just have to look cleaner and get a better attitude of i can do it no matter what. don't expect just because i am ahead even with mistakes i will win or medal.
think about here and now not past

olympic
07-30-2010, 04:35 PM
....proved in the short -but yu-na and mao made mistakes, .

I think if Mao's 3x had been ratified at '10 Worlds, she would've scored around 73 pts.? Mirai had 70 pts. so I'm guessing that both clean, Mirai would only be about 3 pts. behind Mao which is really good for Mirai. Yu Na of course clean is significantly further ahead.

miki88
07-30-2010, 04:43 PM
I think if Mao's 3x had been ratified at '10 Worlds, she would've scored around 73 pts.? Mirai had 70 pts. so I'm guessing that both clean, Mirai would only be about 3 pts. behind Mao which is really good for Mirai. Yu Na of course clean is significantly further ahead.

That's won't be the case for a clean Mao under the new rules. Mao was really disadvantaged for not doing the 3-3 under the previous rules. Even when Mirai gets an UR on her 3-3, she still gets one more triple ratified more than Mao.