PDA

View Full Version : Does Mirai Nagasu have the talent to catch/pass Mao or Yu Na?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Lainerb
07-29-2010, 01:17 AM
If she skates clean then she could be a threat for a major title under the right circumstances. However, falling from first after the short program at Worlds to 11th in the LP and 7th overall shows she has a lot to focus in terms of handling pressure.

Polymer Bob
07-29-2010, 01:44 AM
The last report I heard was that Mirai was injured. We know pretty much nothing else beyond that. If she's healthy, she can certainly knock on the door of the best skaters in the world.

This coming season, I have no idea which U.S. lady, if any, will break out.

blue_idealist
07-29-2010, 02:05 AM
If she landed all her jumps cleanly and Rochette had some mistakes, she might beat her unless Rochette was too far ahead in PCs. I think Mirai's style is a bit too young right now, even though I like it. She doesn't skate with a lot of maturity like Rochette does even though I actually prefer her to Rochette. I'm not sure if Mirai will be able to beat Mao or Yuna.. I think she could probably beat Mao if Mao misses jumps like she is prone to, but Yuna is usually error-free so she would probably be harder to beat. Especially overall in a competition, because even with Yuna's disastrous SP at the last Worlds she was still able to hold on to 2nd place in the competition. She would have to majorly screw up for more than like one person to pass her.

smarts1
07-29-2010, 02:14 AM
If she landed all her jumps cleanly and Rochette had some mistakes, she might beat her unless Rochette was too far ahead in PCs. I think Mirai's style is a bit too young right now, even though I like it. She doesn't skate with a lot of maturity like Rochette does even though I actually prefer her to Rochette. I'm not sure if Mirai will be able to beat Mao or Yuna.. I think she could probably beat Mao if Mao misses jumps like she is prone to, but Yuna is usually error-free so she would probably be harder to beat. Especially overall in a competition, because even with Yuna's disastrous SP at the last Worlds she was still able to hold on to 2nd place in the competition. She would have to majorly screw up for more than like one person to pass her.

I have no idea where everyone gets that Yuna is usually error free... The only time she did clean performances in her whole career was at 2007 COR and at the Olympics and maybe the 2008 GPF?. She often makes a mistake or two in her LPs, but she is able to maintain her lead because of the GOE she gets on her elements.

But yes, I believe that Mirai will need to get more rotation, get a consistent triple-triple, and work on her mental toughness. And her support team really seems to be an excellent one in trying to achieve those things.

miki88
07-29-2010, 02:28 AM
I have no idea where everyone gets that Yuna is usually error free... The only time she did clean performances in her whole career was at 2007 COR and at the Olympics and maybe the 2008 GPF?. She often makes a mistake or two in her LPs, but she is able to maintain her lead because of the GOE she gets on her elements.

But yes, I believe that Mirai will need to get more rotation, get a consistent triple-triple, and work on her mental toughness. And her support team really seems to be an excellent one in trying to achieve those things.

Yuna was obviously not error-free at 2008 GPF; she didn't win there. The only time she had been error-free in both programs was at the Olympics. However, her scores aren't as affected because she rarely ever misses her biggest point getter (the 3-3 combo) plus GOE advantage on her elements.

Marco
07-29-2010, 03:44 AM
Mirai just needs to skate consistently and confidently and earn her way up in the PCS ladder.

She has everything one needs to become a World and Olympic Champion. And she has Frank to work on her jumps. She has developed a more mature competitive mindset. As long as she does her run throughs and attacks each competition she will be at the top in no time.

judgejudy27
07-29-2010, 03:54 AM
She may not have to even catch/pass both if Yu Na doesnt even continue (though I really hope she does). I think she is good enough though but she has to continue to mature and start doing the triple-triples consistently with no UR calls.

judgejudy27
07-29-2010, 03:55 AM

Rochette isnt even competing this season. I doubt we will see Rochette again actually.

RumbleFish
07-29-2010, 04:59 AM
IMO, Mirai's problem is a technical flaw rather than a nerve issue.
When she does triple flip and triple lutz, her entrance edge swings back and forth between inside and outside edge.
Actually, all the girls who hammer their toes before take off, like Rachel and Caroline, share this problem, making their jumps inconsistent and prone to under rotations.

She certainly has potentials to match Yuna if she successfully address this issue like Rochette fixed her lutz after 02/03 season.
It seems she surely has the athletic abilities to land triple lutzes and triple-triples if she learns the correct entrance and usage of the toe pick.

There is nothing better than a solid technique to tame her nerves and get her through the program even in pressure situations.

Jaana
07-29-2010, 08:40 AM
As it stands now, Rachael Flatt still has the highest recent senior Worlds finish for a US lady (5th) of those who are currently active in competition. Mirai, however, does have the highest Olympics finish for a US lady (4th). Flatt has 3 US senior medals (2 silvers and 1 gold). Nagasu has 2 US senior medals (1 gold and 1 silver). In other words, they're pretty equal stats-wise.

Yes, Flatt did have the highest recent senior Worlds finish, but in 2010 she dropped onto 9th place. Mirai was better, she was 7th (which of course is not a good result for a US lady skater). I have the feeling that next year Mirai will do a lot better in Worlds.

caseyedwards
07-29-2010, 08:50 AM
Nagasu has the potential. She needs more international experience.

igniculus
07-29-2010, 08:51 AM
In terms of spins and spark, she already surpassed Yuna, she is way more exciting to watch than Kim. She must, however, build up a mental thoughness to overcome fear and dissappointments and believe in herself and her programs, like Mao. Also, she needs some time to get as mature and sophisticated as Mao, but I think she has all the talent in the world.

Japanfan
07-29-2010, 08:56 AM
I think she needs maturity and experience to rival Yunah and Mao - she has not yet found her signature style unless exuberant is her signature style, as it clearly is for Leonova. But it seems to me more a quality of her youthfulness rather than a dominant character trait.

It will be interesting to see her next season - to me she is still a little rough around the edges.

Eris
07-29-2010, 09:52 AM
It's good for Mirai that she will compete under new rules before Grand Prix - at Japan Open. :) I hope her injury is not serious.

olympic
07-29-2010, 12:40 PM
^Yes. What type of injury is it? Hopefully nothing serious... :(