PDA

View Full Version : "Survivor" - Pits Old against Young

Pages : 1 [2] 3

my little pony
07-29-2010, 03:38 AM
will this be Rob's 4th season? I dont want to see any contestant that many times

jamesy
07-29-2010, 04:06 AM
Oh please - no more Rob or Russell. PLEASE! :mad:

I don't really like the old vs. young either. They sort of tried that with four tribes - the older men, older women, younger men, and younger women tribes season.
And didn't they end up just merging them in the second or third episode?

will this be Rob's 4th season? I dont want to see any contestant that many times
At least it's not a 4th season of Cirie lounging about in an ill-fitting bathing suit.

my little pony
07-29-2010, 04:17 AM
At least it's not a 4th season of Cirie lounging about in an ill-fitting bathing suit.

talk about a silver lining

it's called underwire, it's not expensive

genevieve
07-29-2010, 06:47 AM
I'll take Cirie and her not-properly-fitted attire over Boston Rob or Russell any day of the week.

I actually liked watching Russell in both his season. But I think twice is more than enough to see him. And he needs some serious time and distance from this show. And a lot of therapy :saint:

Bostonfan
07-29-2010, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Russell, but only IF the HII was not a factor. I'd love to see him try to get far without that advantage. Of course his reputation has made such an experiment impossible since so many competitors would target him for reasons made clear from watching his other 2 seasons.

Jenny
07-29-2010, 02:43 PM
I'm a little wary of this, as it seems like so many seasons have included alliances largely split along age lines (mostly the younger ones not seeing any value to older players), but I thought the season with tribes divided racially would be a disaster and it was a pretty good season.

This is likely why they are doing it - they have forced all the other reasons that naturally divide people, so it was only a matter of time.

Also, I don't think everyone should assume the younger players will have a physical advantage - there have been some very strong and fit older players in the past, and a helluva lot of physically useless youngsters.

As for puzzles, I don't think it has anything to do with age. I think it has everything to do with a) if you are a puzzler and have that mindset and b) if you can perform under pressure.

:lol:

Its rumored that it will be Boston Rob versus Russell. They'll be on opposing teams as mentors/coaches/players, I guess like Bobby Jon and Stephanie in Guatemala.

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Sparks
07-29-2010, 09:14 PM
I don't klnow about this twist.
All I know is that I'm craving Survivor!

Prancer
07-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Apparently one of the other Survivor editions in another country did a young v. old and it was a big success.

Spoilers have it that the cast is full of interesting people and that the older people are actually more fit and physical than the younger ones, although the challenges aren't particularly physical. And word is that the HII is still around, but is much harder to find this time. :cheer2:

Jimmy Johnson has been confirmed by a Texas newspaper. :eek:

Jenny
07-29-2010, 09:28 PM
And word is that the HII is still around, but is much harder to find this time. :cheer2:

I think Jeff hinted at that already - the Russell factor.

I do find that TPTB on the show really do know what they're doing. There's the odd casting misstep, but on the whole, the show just keeps getting better IMO. They are smart enough not to mess with what works, and they keep evolving the show and offering interesting twists like this to keep the game fresh and challenging.

genevieve
07-29-2010, 09:38 PM
I think Jeff hinted at that already - the Russell factor.

I do find that TPTB on the show really do know what they're doing. There's the odd casting misstep...
If it's true that BB12 Hayden was originally supposed to be on Survivor, good move by TPTB. Survivor dodged a bullet.

Jenny
07-29-2010, 09:42 PM
I think I may be the only person on the planet, but I actually like Hayden. At first, I was ready to write him off as a dumb kid with his Bieber hair - but during his HOH I began to appreciate his game play. I think he's smarter than people are giving him credit for, is playing very well, and even seems like a decent guy.

I think he would have been great on Survivor.

Prancer
07-29-2010, 09:45 PM
There's the odd casting misstep

Erika Shay resigned as casting director after a lot of :soapbox: on the fan boards about her friendship with Parvati and rumors that she set Parvati up with Russell before the show started filming.

Aside from that, I think it's good that she's gone, because she cast a lot of her friends from the LA bar scene--lots of mactors who were using Survivor for screen time. Sometimes those people work out well, but usually, they just make a lot of noise and don't go very far.

Most of the cast this time were people who applied, which hasn't been true for a long time, so I'm hoping for a cast of people who actually know the game.

genevieve
07-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Oooh, that would be refreshing!

Jenny
07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Indeed! On BB this summer, most of them seem to know the game and they spend quite a bit of time talking about past seasons. One of them is even going so far as to *hide* his game knowledge.

Bostonfan
08-26-2010, 12:00 PM
The new TV Guide has an article about this season. It confirms what I suspected about the challenges - that they will be way less physical this season (i.e. no wrestling in mud pits), but that the Challenge Dept has come up with some inventive ideas that are fair, take skill and strategy.

There's also something called the Medallion of Power this year. I've spoilered it here if you want to know more:

The other big twist this season is the introduction of the Medallion of Power, which will be able to be used by a tribe to gain an advantage in an immunity challenge. They get to keep it until it is played, at which point it goes over to the other tribe.